Single Power Mini Tube Amp in the House!
Apr 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not a portable but a transportable amp from my understanding. Even the battery power supply will be for home use.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding which niche this amp is supposed to be filling then?

How would this be any more transportable than say my SLAM? Seem to me with my amp being an all in one instead of two pieces to move around, my current amp is more transportable than this new one.

Am I missing something here? Is this new amp including the power pack that much smaller than my SLAM?

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is roughly 4 3/4" x 2 3/4" x 1 3/4". Take a look at the first post. There is a pic of it sitting next to a Micro DAC and an iRiver H140.

Happy Listening!

Whats the dimensions of the base with the powerpack in it though?

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the dimensions of the base with the powerpack in it though?

The dimensions on the power supply are about 8 3/4" x 6" x 3". Keep in mind that Mikhail released the upgraded power supply first and will release a smaller power supply as well as a battery pack that should be a lot smaller than the upgraded supply.

Happy Listening!

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #79 of 90
Very nice amp. I can just picture the odd looks you'd get with one of these beauties connected to your DAP listening to $300 cans while sitting among the masses.

2007/2008 is becoming very exciting in the small amp market. My wallet aches. I curse you all.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at you …
Looking at her …
You could be her dad.
etysmile.gif

That's right.
plainface.gif

She looks good, and I look old...
frown.gif

Had a hard life...
frown.gif

But we can look, can't we..?
icon10.gif

I can't remember I ever said anything other than that she's a pretty girl, and I have an eye for beauty
wink.gif

And, I stated that if there were more looking like her...
tongue.gif

Normally it's mostly guys you meet, engaging in this sort of hobby, so she was and is a nice change.
But don't misunderstand me, I have no illusions what so ever.

Back on topic..?

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #84 of 90
The Blue Circle and Naim head amps have somewhat larger amp sections and smaller power supplies. Naim and BC have both developed reputations as being very power supply conscious, so if Mikhail's power supply is bigger he must have a huge transformer and many many caps inside. This will make the amp quieter and more dynamic. But the contributions get smaller and smaller.

Apr 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #87 of 90
This is a curious little amp, which puts out a lot of power. The tubes don't really have traditional "pins" on them, but has single strand wires sticking out of where the the pins would normally be. I was told that the wire would be trimmed to the correct length and then the tube could be seated into the amp. This allows for tube rolling posssibilities. I was also told that the "plex" front on this and the "Square Wave" was not just for show demo purposes but was part of the SP "new" look.

Mikhail explained that a more "portable/transportable" rechargable battery power supply is under development and would be available before too long.

- augustwest

Jul 30, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #89 of 90
Has anyone heard of any updates for this amp? I'm extremely interested in it, as transportable to me means taking it across the country for school...

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #90 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard of any updates for this amp? I'm extremely interested in it, as transportable to me means taking it across the country for school...

The last I heard, Mikhail has it on the back burner due to the heat issues that it has. He mentioned that he may need to put it in a larger chassis since the existing chassis is just too small to disburse the heat coming from the 6 tubes.

It is a great sounding amp, however, and I hope that he gets the kinks worked out and releases it. I recently took it on a trip and it was nice to have tube sound in my hotel room. I love mine and think it gives a lot of other amps a run for the money.

Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back