Single & Multi Dynamic Driver Only IEM Discussion Thread
Dec 24, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #121 of 164
Wow, who did you get to trade you? Even trade? The Oxygen retails for more the twice the price of the FH3. For me, the FH3 was a great example of a sound signature I like, with solid technicalities and performance, yet inexplicably boring to me. It just felt uninspiring.

I also am really starting to think that there are numerous slight characteristics to the sound of certain IEMs, particularly single-DD IEMs, that give it its own (for lack of a better word) “timbre”.

Oh, I worded it poorly. It was not a trade 1:1, my FH3 was up for sale and a guy at my local community offered me trading for it + some cash (FH3 is very hyped here ATM), lol. I agree with you, but, my pair had such an annoying driver flex and when walking I could hear the driver moving so I never wanted to use it for long sessions. I wish they had a version of FH3 using just their 1DD or maybe the FD5 can be that. :D

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #122 of 164
Oh, I worded it poorly. It was not a trade 1:1, my FH3 was up for sale and a guy at my local community offered me trading for it + some cash (FH3 is very hyped here ATM), lol. I agree with you, but, my pair had such an annoying driver flex and when walking I could hear the driver moving so I never wanted to use it for long sessions. I wish they had a version of FH3 using just their 1DD or maybe the FD5 can be that. :D
Probably that’s the FD5, perhaps with the bass nozzle? The FD1 has less bass and more upper mids than the FH3, but the bass quality seemed similar. The FH3 also had driver flex for me, but not nearly that bad. I don’t get any driver flex with the FD1. Of course the FD1 wouldn’t be an upgrade to the Oxygen though.

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #123 of 164
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #124 of 164
Jun 1, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #125 of 164
So there's a new kid on the block:

Astrotec Volans
https://hifigo.com/products/astrotec-volans

Today we check out these Volans on HFN and according to @Aerosphere they have something very unique.

https://www.headfonia.com/astrotec-volans-review/

astrotec-volans-review-1.jpg

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #126 of 164
It's been a couple of days I have the NM2+,...

Oh and some genres such as darkpsy sound so good with them it's almost unreal.
As someone who is seriously considering the NM2+ this last line of yours has me sold. I'm not a huge fan of dark-psy, imo a guilty pleasure genre but I understand the production and how it should sound. IEMs that are too bloated in the bass completely mess up the punch.

I've been looking to add a new IEM and the Nm2+ is up on the list along with some others such as HZ Sound Heart Mirror and Hidizs MS2. Beemn really enjoying my BLON BL-05S and the Heart Mirror grabbed my attention with its similar mid-range and treble, but I've read some (such as Prime Audio reviews) feel the NM2+ is a step above.

Any other recommendations? Looking for IEMs that are highly spatial, detailed, and realistic, especially with binaural content (Possibly Final Audio VR3000?)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #127 of 164
As someone who is seriously considering the NM2+ this last line of yours has me sold. I'm not a huge fan of dark-psy, imo a guilty pleasure genre but I understand the production and how it should sound. IEMs that are too bloated in the bass completely mess up the punch.

I've been looking to add a new IEM and the Nm2+ is up on the list along with some others such as HZ Sound Heart Mirror and Hidizs MS2. Beemn really enjoying my BLON BL-05S and the Heart Mirror grabbed my attention with its similar mid-range and treble, but I've read some (such as Prime Audio reviews) feel the MS2+ is a step above.

Any other recommendations? Looking for IEMs that are highly spatial, detailed, and realistic, especially with binaural content (Possibly Final Audio VR3000?)
Final e500 , vr3000 , azla azel g edition

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #128 of 164
Any new releases lately? I've been roaming AE and linsoul and other chifi retailers for new single DD to upgrade from the great Fiio FD5.

I was thinking the Dunu ZEN but it's seems not an upgrade or significant upgrade to say the least. Budget below $1200 and I would like better isolating IEM than the FD5 (maybe hunt for a used Dunu Luna?).

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #129 of 164
Any new releases lately? I've been roaming AE and linsoul and other chifi retailers for new single DD to upgrade from the great Fiio FD5.

I was thinking the Dunu ZEN but it's seems not an upgrade or significant upgrade to say the least. Budget below $1200 and I would like better isolating IEM than the FD5 (maybe hunt for a used Dunu Luna?).
The Oriolus Isabellae is getting a lot of compliments. It’s one that I’m considering to round out my collection.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #131 of 164

not really new but I love my Acoustune 1697ti’s :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #132 of 164

Oriolus Isabellae is flawlessly tuned and extremely competent technically. The only potential downside is a more intimate soundstage, a consequence of its midrange emphasis, which may or may not be your preference.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #134 of 164

I've been looking to add a new IEM and the Nm2+ is up on the list along with some others such as HZ Sound Heart Mirror and Hidizs MS2. Beemn really enjoying my BLON BL-05S and the Heart Mirror grabbed my attention with its similar mid-range and treble, but I've read some (such as Prime Audio reviews) feel the NM2+ is a step above.

Same target !! I juste ordered the sen ie900 and lurking on TURII softears .. they are usually said as having very good soundstage an imaging.. I hope considering price and blind buy .. however no question single DD produce a very lifelike rendition with a lot of depth Relief .. something I did not achieve easily even with pricey hybrid

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #135 of 164
Just wanna share some inputs with my 1DD iems.
Note: I identify myself as a bass head, all my iems are bass leaning.
Note: my primary iem is CA Andromeda-gold LE so I will not discuss about sound details on 1DD iems because its just not fair.
Note: my sources are M11pro, mojo/poly, zx507 and fiio m6.
Note: these iems below are my own iems used on my own daps/dac so I used them for a very long time not just test them for few minutes.

1.) ex1000 - very big/wide sound stage but no true seal due to the big vents, its like an open back iem. I find it very relaxing to listen although this is very picky when it
comes to track quality. it also has peaks in the highs that is sometimes not pleasant specially the "ssSS" sound on vocals. Many moons ago I thought this iem is for
bass heads like me, but instead I found out late that the tuning is for a monitor iems. Despite being not a bassy iem as what I prefered, still this is a must have 1DD iem of
all time due its overall sound quality and airy-ness specially when paired with fiio m11 pro.

2.) se215 - the cleanest sounding iem I'm ever heard in its price, maybe because there is not much lows. mind you, this will eat any iem within its price, even the BA ones.
This is my wife's main iem due to comfort when watching movie marathon.

3.) ie80s - very warm and musical, the adjustment will change the bass by a lot. It also has the biggest sound stage in its price. I enjoyed this until now but because I now
own new iems this already became my wireless setup for jogging/work. My wife don't wanna use this in watching horror movies because she
said the placement of sound like when someone is behind in the movie is well replicated thus becaming more creepy! I have no plan to watch 5secs of it! lol!
For anyone who has a $300 budget for a 1DD iem, the ie80s is already an endgame one.

4.) oh7 - This is the biggest sounding iem I've ever heard, almost like an open back headphone! I just got this recently, tested it side by side with the closest rivals specially Xelento, T9ie, T8ie, Atlas, Polaris and even the DK4001 & Rai Penta hybrids. In fact I went to the store thinking to get the Xelento but when I tested them all, my decision changed in just a few seconds. Xelento & oh7 both sound very good but the Xelento sounds plasticky and the build quality for me is not even worth close to $1k. There is also more body and impact in the oh7's bass that I find too thin in Xelento maybe this is due to the copper housing. I mostly pair it with zx507 walkman and using Sony's warm sound enhancements, its hard to stop listening to it. My andromeda aside, oh7 is by far the iem I've own that when first listened I can already say it is a $1k+ iem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back