Singapore June 2014 Meet
Jun 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

kchew

100+ Head-Fier
The Singapore Head-Fi meet was held at Scape on 22nd June. Besides members who brought their audio rigs, we had vendors who were only too glad to showcase their latest and best offerings. I brought a Dynalo amp, desktop O2+ODAC, Audio Technica AD2000, Sony MDR-CD900ST and Astell & Kern AK120.

Now let's have some photos!

First few tables to set up

Little Dot Mk.VIII SE

Tube goodness

Auditioning, start!

Vendors setting up

Vendor with Audexe, Hifiman, Burson Audio and UE Customs.

Audeze

iFi Audio and Sennheiser setup. Very zen-like.

Presenting the Noble Customs

Packing heat

Flasher!

Wooden and metallic headphones

DIY hands-on in session

Some of the headphone parts were 3D printed.

Carefully...

Frankenphone with Grado headband and pads, Magnum drivers and 3D-printed cups, pretty cool

Schiit and Alpha Dogs

Dita Audio booth

Utterly engrossed

The Audio Technica HA22Tube Project

Go-Pro is watching

Audio-Gd brothers: NFB-10.2 and DAC-19

Leica shooter

Leica Beauty

Getting crowded

Gorgeous Audio Technica woodie

Shiny metal

Limited edition woodie

A tube to power them all

McIntosh!

McIntosh man! McIntosh!

Denon sounds good

So do the Ultrasones

Not to mention the HD800s

Trying out the Rhines customs

Dear Santa, I'll be a good boy if you get me these JH Roxannes

Customs represent! Rhines, Noble, 1964-Ears, Custom Art, Vison Ears and Ultimate Ears

Dual-wielding headphones

Valhalla 2

Schiit stack: Lyr 2 and Bifrost

Oppo HA-1

Smiles all round

LCD-X

Some meet impressions:

Audio-Gd DAC-19, Little Dot Mk.VIIISE and modded HD800

The HD800s had a stock cable, but additional padding was inserted and the mesh screen removed. As a fellow HD800 owner with TWag v2 cable, I wondered what such mods would do. Well, I was treated to a very sweet and luscious midrange, with the immaculate soundstaging and clarity untouched. Color me very impressed. Sometimes I feel that the HD800's midrange is a bit too neutral for my liking, but this mod cures that.

Oppo PM-1 and HA-1

There is a lot of hype surrounding these new products from Oppo. The planar-magnetic PM-1 were light and comfortable, and the HA-1 impressed me with its sheer flexibility and wide range of inputs. I hooked up my AK120 to the HA-1 via optical output and had a go. Together, they put out a very smooth, detailed and immersive performance. This setup really excels at jazz, R&B and soul with a dark, smooth signature. However PRaT and treble were slightly reigned in, as a result guitar riffs were somehow lacking in bite and presence. The HA-1 with my Sony CD900ST sounded similar as well. Still, for the price it put out a great performance that made me want to kick back and relax.

Chord Hugo

Can something this tiny put out wold-class performance in a portable package? I was sceptical when I saw it hooked up to the LCD-X with no amp, but all preconceptions were quashed when playing the DSD version of Lee Ritenour's Six String Theory. Man this thing can drive the Audeze really well! Bass was authoratative and well controlled, the treble was just right and the detail retrieval was top notch. The Hugo is a pricey little thing, but the end result really justifies the cost.

McIntosh MHA100

Six months ago, I had the pleasure of trying out the D100 digital preamplifier from the same company at last year's Head-Fi meet. This time the MHA100 arrived. One really cool feature it has was selectable output impedance in 8-40, 40-150 and 150-600 ohm settings, meaning that it'll handle almost anything you throw at it (we had no AKG K1000s to try). And what a show it put on. Whether it was my AD2000, CD900ST or the HD800, the MHA100 drove them effortlessly with world-class performance. And those two blue power meters were mesmerising to watch as they dance to the music. Fed via USB from a Macbook Pro, I was struggling to identify any sonic faults with this setup, but gave up. The McIntosh truly was the star player in the meet.

And that's a quick report. Hopefully the rest of the attendees can chime in as well. I was glad to see fellow attendees having similar interest in cameras as someone brought a Leica M8 with 35mm Summicron, and I had a good chat with a fellow film shooter. Watch-Fi was represented with a Rolex Submariner, two Panerai Luminor Marinas, an Omega Speedmaster Professional Pre Moon and a Seiko Tuna 6159 "non m". As Singapore Head-Fi is hoping to host biannual headphone meets, look forward to the next one at the end of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back