Sinfulness and doing things wrong = excellent results. Poll included.
Aug 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

funkmeister

100+ Head-Fier
Y'all are doing it wrong when you think you're doing it right. Here's what I'm doing that's "wrong" and I got the proof that it's right.

1. Using Windows instead of a Mac. OK... that was just a jab. We all know that Windows 7 is actually better for audio listening.
  2. Using Windows Media Player as the player of choice.
  3. Encoding to MP3 or WMA instead of FLAC... though I do use WMA-Lossless a lot.
  4. Using EQ in the media player software. Details at http://akg171.wordpress.com
  5. Not playing my DAC at 100% system volume! I run it at 35%. It's a NuForce Icon HD, in case you're wondering.
  6. Not using the right cans. I'm using AKG K 171 Mk II headphones. Have you seen the FR chart on these? Ouch!
  7. Not using the right IEMs. I'm using Shure E2C's which are actually pretty bad... but you get used to it in about 30 seconds.
  8. Not using the right cables. I'm just running stock everything.
  9. When not using my NuForce DAC, I use augmentation software: SRS HD Audio Lab.

Let me tell you what my experience has been. I scored really well on a distortion sensitivity test. In fact, I got the max score possible at -54dB. Want proof? Go to the wordpress blog noted above.

I scored pretty good straight from the computer running through SRS HDAL. Supposedly that's about the stupidest thing I could do. I only scored -3dB better when I switched to my DAC (with system volume at 35%). Then I made a few more attempts and nailed a perfect score.

So, my question to all of you is, should I now get kicked off head-fi because I'm just gonna be a trouble maker? I'm not buying the special cables. I'm not buying the high-end headphones. I'm not buying the high-end DACs.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 15
  1. I'm using the right DAC right now, but I'll be "downgrading" to the wrong one. A $995 headphone with a $170 soundcard? What? I should be able to solve all amp and DAC requirements for under $300.
  2. I use EQ now and then, but at present I don't need it.
  3. I use headfi.org, but I'm obviously not its target demographic anymore.
  4. I have Blue Jeans interconnects, but I'm using stock LCD-2 cables, which I believe is a floggable offense. I'm also using one of my Blue Jeans interconnects right now as a coaxial digital cable, though it's only rated at 34 ohm impedance. Uh oh!
  5. I rip FLAC, but I encode to V2 (not V0!) LAME for portable use. I could use Ogg Vorbis, but I don't want to bother.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Aug 16, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 15
There is no right or wrong equipment, cables, headphones, etc. There may be some stuff that is better than other stuff but none of it is wrong. However, and there's always a however, if there was wrong stuff, I would say it's equipment that is overpriced. Most any cables/interconnects with an audiophile name attached to them fall into that category, some of them almost unbelievably so.  

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 15

There is no right or wrong equipment, cables, headphones, etc. There may be some stuff that is better than other stuff but none of it is wrong. However, and there's always a however, if there was wrong stuff, I would say it's equipment that is overpriced. Most any cables/interconnects with an audiophile name attached to them fall into that category, some of them almost unbelievably so.  

I think the OP meant "wrong" as in "looked down upon by audiophiles". Stuff that's not socially acceptable here at Head-Fi. Except for the "Using head-fi.org" and "drugs" ones.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 15
I've been using my new Q701 straight out of my laptop and iPhone, mostly for games on both devices and also for mp3 listening on the iPhone while washing dishes.  Out of my Firebox it's all the great things people say about it, plus some harshness, so maybe I just need to cook it.  Or maybe the Firebox headphone out is just not going to give me the sound I want.  Until I find out, going unamped is not a big deal, even though these are cans that need some serious power.  For casual gaming and household chores, and still being able to hear the kids, I'm enjoying my purchase.

I also voted "Using the wrong cans."  I have a few.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 15
I listen to 128kbps mp3 files.
triportsad.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 15
I listen to 128kbps mp3 files.
triportsad.gif

Same here. If the gear can do good with less than perfect material, it's more valuable than gear needing perfect material. I ripped almost all my cds that way for a limited portable. I have since been ripping full file size with the cost of memory being what it is.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 15
I've recently learned that there are two distinct camps of audiophiles.
1. Those whose spend their money looking for the "wow" factor
2. Those who spend their money trying to reproduce a more realistic and natural sound

Unless you go to a lot of concerts, you're probably a #1. The sky's the limit with how much one can spend on the "wow" factor.

I have been thinking for a while that I was a #2, but when I realized that I have no actual basis for comparison, I figured I'm in the #1 camp as well. I just don't spend a lot.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Same here. If the gear can do good with less than perfect material, it's more valuable than gear needing perfect material. I ripped almost all my cds that way for a limited portable. I have since been ripping full file size with the cost of memory being what it is.

I do it simply becaust most of my music was originally ripped as 128 when I didn't know the difference between the two. That said, it still sounds good, but acoustic sets with symbols and acoustic guitars sound so distorted :\.

These days everything gets ripped as 320 and flac for portable and computer listening respectively.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 15
I started ripping my cds around 2000. At that time, an ipod only had 40g and itunes recommended 128k as sufficient. Wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back