Since when did Sennheiser 555's get below $100?
Oct 25, 2008 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been pretty inactive on the forums since I've been happy and I've tried to stray away from this becoming too expensive of a hobby
wink.gif
. But, I did notice today that the Senn. HD555's were $99 on amazon. Now from what I remember, the last time I saw these headphones, they were around $150, or so I thought. Now that they are at this price, I've put some consideration into going for a pair sooner or later if they stay at this price. My question is, (as I've been inactive, I don't remember :/) what type of music do the HD555's excel in? Would it even be worth it to get a pair when I already have my SR-60's and a nice little cMoy?

Thanks for any help here
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Would it even be worth it to get a pair when I already have my SR-60's and a nice little cMoy?

Absolutely! Nice companion for sr 60. 555 excel at anything sr 60 don't.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 8
You think the HD555's would be fine w/ just a cMoy? If I do get them, I won't plan to get another amp any time soon.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 8
yep, doesn't require much power

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to put this on my wish list now
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks guys. How would the Senn's do at games? Don't they do well at soundstage? What about genre's they're good for?

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to put this on my wish list now
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks guys. How would the Senn's do at games? Don't they do well at soundstage? What about genre's they're good for?

Ok, here's my 2 cents:

Sennheiser HD555 is an excellent headphone for the price IMO. It definitely has a much better soundstage than Grados (which have pretty much no soundstage at all), but it still sounds a bit in-the-head and lacking dynamics compared to similar Audio Technica models, like AD700, or the more expensive Sennheisers. The main strengths of HD555 are excellent tonal balance and pretty low impedance so that they are easy to drive even out of weak portable sources. Out of weak sources, they have a bit less bass and sound brighter, while when amped or run out of a reasonably powerful source (I use Audigy 2 ZS), the bass performance improves significantly - you get tighter, deeper, faster and more refined bass response. Their overall emphasis is on mid-bass and upper bass making the sound very warm. However, warm doesn't mean that the highs are lacking in any way. The highs are very good on HD555 and they are not rolled off at all, just a little recessed, smooth and laid back, while retaining nice sparkle. The midrange is warmer than neutral but well textured making vocals and most real instruments sound pretty convincing. The sound is not as accurate as that of a good studio monitor - the mid-bass is too emphasized, the midrange is too warm and the highs are too laid back. However, being a big open can, it easily beats any closed headphone/studio monitor in the same price range by a good margin in terms of soundstage, refinement, tonal balance, presence and musicality. As I mentioned previously, it also blows away the Grados and most other supra aural cans it that price range in terms of soundstage and overall balance, so that it is better suited for gaming, movies and home use in general IMO.

Ok, I realize that I wrote above might not be very clear and coherent, so I'll try organize my thoughts on HD555 in a few simply point below to make it clearer:

Strengths:

- very good tonal balance and refinement
- good imaging and a fairly expansive, airy sound
- rounded tone and non-fatiguing treble with almost zero sibilance (some burn-in is required)
- sounds good with all music genres, although it does sound best with jazz, acoustic, classical and new age/ambient
- comfortable to wear
- easy to drive
- good build quality

Weaknesses:

- may sound too laid back for some people with some music genres, particularly with aggressive music
- details and dynamics might also leave you wanting more depending on sound preferences and source
- not good for accuracy/reference listening
- too big, funny looking and leaky for use in public

Other possible option: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (similar price and positioning, but perhaps a bit better balance and more accuracy; better soundstage and dynamics).

Hope this will help you a little.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, here's my 2 cents:

Sennheiser HD555 is an excellent headphone for the price IMO. It definitely has a much better soundstage than Grados (which have pretty much no soundstage at all), but it still sounds a bit in-the-head and lacking dynamics compared to similar Audio Technica models, like AD700, or the more expensive Sennheisers. The main strengths of HD555 are excellent tonal balance and pretty low impedance so that they are easy to drive even out of weak portable sources. Out of weak sources, they have a bit less bass and sound brighter, while when amped or run out of a reasonably powerful source (I use Audigy 2 ZS), the bass performance improves significantly - you get tighter, deeper, faster and more refined bass response. Their overall emphasis is on mid-bass and upper bass making the sound very warm. However, warm doesn't mean that the highs are lacking in any way. The highs are very good on HD555 and they are not rolled off at all, just a little recessed, smooth and laid back, while retaining nice sparkle. The midrange is warmer than neutral but well textured making vocals and most real instruments sound pretty convincing. The sound is not as accurate as that of a good studio monitor - the mid-bass is too emphasized, the midrange is too warm and the highs are too laid back. However, being a big open can, it easily beats any closed headphone/studio monitor in the same price range by a good margin in terms of soundstage, refinement, tonal balance, presence and musicality. As I mentioned previously, it also blows away the Grados and most other supra aural cans it that price range in terms of soundstage and overall balance, so that it is better suited for gaming, movies and home use in general IMO.

Ok, I realize that I wrote above might not be very clear and coherent, so I'll try organize my thoughts on HD555 in a few simply point below to make it clearer:

Strengths:

- very good tonal balance and refinement
- good imaging and a fairly expansive, airy sound
- rounded tone and non-fatiguing treble with almost zero sibilance (some burn-in is required)
- sounds good with all music genres, although it does sound best with jazz, acoustic, classical and new age/ambient
- comfortable to wear
- easy to drive
- good build quality

Weaknesses:

- may sound too laid back for some people with some music genres, particularly with aggressive music
- details and dynamics might also leave you wanting more depending on sound preferences and source
- not good for accuracy/reference listening
- too big, funny looking and leaky for use in public

Other possible option: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (similar price and positioning, but perhaps a bit better balance and more accuracy; better soundstage and dynamics).

Hope this will help you a little.
regular_smile .gif

That actually helped out a lot. Thank you pianist. I understood both your paragraph/summary and your pro and cons list. Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
. Laid back will be good for me, def. nothing to add to the con list (for me). Definitely won't need it for accuracy or reference, and I will be keeping them inside, as I have my ER-6i's for portable use. Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back