Since my other thread got hijacked
May 16, 2002 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dohminator

500+ Head-Fier
I was doing some poking around and found the link to audio cubes.

Now I'm not sure if I should get one of the lower end ath models.

I'm looking at these models

[edit working links down the page a little ways]

I appreciate any input about the brand or the models that I'm looking at.

If nobody has any info, then I am willing to be a guinea pig, and I will write a review if I get them.

May 16, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 11
My opinion is that Cables do very little for the sound of the music and spending incredible amounts on them is ridiculous. However the only way your going to find out is by jumping in the deep end.

*Note - There is a need for a well constructed cable that is shielded and well terminated. But beyond that ...

May 16, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 11
Well those weren't links to cables. They were supposed to be links to the headphones I wanted to try. Audio technica. Let me try to figure out what went wrong.

May 16, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 11
very_evil_smiley.gif

Why wont thos links work. Must I get creative

"http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=90"
"http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=92"
"http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=91"

Just copy and paste what is in the quotes. Hopefully it will work.

May 16, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 11
I own an Audio-Technica ATH-A5, a five or six year old predecessor of the A55, and I like it a lot. It has very good efficiency and low-level resolution, excellent bass response and dynamics, a quite spacious soundstage and a very smooth and non-fatiguing presentation. The only problem is: it has a slightly colored midrange but that has never bothered me all that much. I have always felt that the A5 was very musical and enjoyable, more enjoyable to me than anything I have ever heard from Sennheiser or AKG. My advice: be our guinea pig, get the A55 and tell us how it sounds!
wink.gif

May 16, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 11
The a55 is rated at 60 ohms. Would I still be able to use that with portable player and computer without an amp? Could I get good sound quality out of it without an amp?

I'm also looking at the ad7 which is the $140 one, as it only has an impedence of 32 ohms. It's an open air version.

One thing about all ATH headphones, they sure are stylish, and comfy.

So what's your advice?

May 16, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 11
My ATH-A5 is rated at 60 Ohms as well and it has worked very well with PCDPs that delivered not more than 10mW per channel. Driving a 60 Ohm headphone as efficient as the ATs to very loud levels ought to be very easy. My A5 is rather smooth and forgiving and in this thread, hardwarenut describes the A55 in the same way. I guess if you have bad sources and less than outstanding amplification, the A55 will not mercilessly destroy your musical enjoyment.

I have never heard an open AT headphone, so I cannot really comment on the AD7's performance. Generally, I prefer closed designs because they tend to provide more low-level resolution, more ambience information and deeper bass response.

I guess you'd be the first Head-Fier to own either one of those AT headphones. You'll be the envy of lowly mortals! Go for it!
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the help Tomcat. I appreciate it. I have a feeling either one will be good. Now the only problem is that I'm broke right now. Damnit.

Whenever I get my money together I'll go ahead and buy a pair, and I'll make sure to give a full review. I'm sure either one of them will sound really good.

Then I will make people worship me for having the only pair on the boards.
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Another quick question, how's comfort? I've been listening to these cheap headphones that came with my cd player all day and my ears are getting sore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back