Simple volume controller with 3.5mm output jack?
Apr 16, 2004 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

luukas

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of HD25-1's and damn, they are even more efficient than I had thought. Right now I have the volume on my soundcard down to 2% - and that's plenty!

So... what would I need to build a volume controller with a 3.5mm output jack? As for input - RCA maybe? Obviously it doesn't have to be the best possible, but the less effect on the signal, the better.

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 6
The simplest thing would be an L-pad. There are some calculators online for the values of the resistors. Basically you put a resistor in line with the signal followed by a resistor to ground. It attenuates the signal without changing the impedence. I built a 60-ohm 10dB L-pad for my V6s because my D-2 Discman was too loud, even with the volume on MIN.

There are other designs, pi and T and some with capacitors. Guitar sites would probably talk about them more.

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 6
or you can just build a volume control with a 10k panasonic pot and some 3.5mm jacks and RCAs

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 6
This Headwize project would fit the bill.
wink.gif

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/proje...=cmoy7_prj.htm

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll need to check which pots the local electronics store carries in the morning,since they don't have an online catalogue yet.

edit:

Well, shoot. Of course they're closed this saturday... just my luck
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back