Simple OptoPlay Mod... WOW!!!
Apr 25, 2004 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
So I own an Audiotrak/ESI OptoPlay 2.0...

http://www.audiotrack.net/esi/php/optoplay.php

Well, I typed this whole long post and then somehow I pressed back on my keyboard so I lost everything. To make things short...

I took the MS6308 (Mosa Electronics) opamp/headphone driver out and just connected the in to out on the unit, and when connected to the PPA, the sound is just phenomenal.

I would say this is even better than the Echo MIA MIDI I had before. Although I can't do A/B this is clearly the best I've ever heard.

So basically I reduced the number of opamps in the path from 2 to 1, right? Well it sounds exactly like that, seems like a layer of filth has been removed from my music. Really, everything is just so much smoother yet so much more detailed, just very natural and fluid and just... REAL! Haha. I can't close my jaws right now..

Anyhow. I assume the same thing will work with the Transit as well?

Anyhow. Back to listening... I will post more impressions soon...

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 30
any pictures of the inside? which DAC does it use? some AKM or Wolfson?

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
any pictures of the inside? which DAC does it use? some AKM or Wolfson?

Does your browser not support pictures?
optoplay-img5.gif

Edit: http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/...53/ak4353.html

Apr 25, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 30
I wasn't expecting such info on Audiotrak's site and knowing OptoPlay I didn't even checked that site.. thanks for noting it..

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 30
Does anyone know how the AKM sound compared to PCM2702?

Hmmm...the optoplay seems to be cheap $59.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The question is, does it still drive headphones directly? or does the mod result in the necessity of a separate amp?

No, the OptoPlay can't drive headphones directly anymore. Even at full volume with E888 earbuds, the sound is faint at best.

But it does a terrific job at providing an amp with good signal!
biggrin.gif

If you want it to drive headphones, a good mod would be replacing the crap MS6308 with a better dual opamp that will be driven at 5V such as the OPA2132?

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
No, the OptoPlay can't drive headphones directly anymore. Even at full volume with E888 earbuds, the sound is faint at best.

But it does a terrific job at providing an amp with good signal!
biggrin.gif

If you want it to drive headphones, a good mod would be replacing the crap MS6308 with a better dual opamp that will be driven at 5V such as the OPA2132?

That might be a very good idea... thank you!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back