Simple DT990 mod.
Jul 29, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't experienced this phenominon. Oh wait you have the lowly 250Ω version.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

This isn't really a dig at the 250Ω 990's, it's just a little fun with Scott since he wants some 600Ω's.

And coming from a guy who's got a killer pair of balanced 600s! Grrrr! Hmm... maybe I'll just reverse the L/R channels on my next build for you.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOOOO!!! What have you done Kees!? You destroyed my DT990!
biggrin.gif
Interesting mod though, why I havent thought doing it when I still had them.

Side question, how much it affected isolation?

They isolate pretty well, I just checked.

You know I have mods for the 325i as well, don't you?
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #18 of 41
I love my DT990s the way they are, but your mod sounds like a godsend. Sometimes the V-sound gets to me, but I don't find the bass low quality at all. Since it's been a few days, does the mod still sound as great? Is it still "simple" for a person who doesn't exactly have surgeon's hands? I'd be concerned about accidentally breaking or disconnecting the driver.

Also, how does it affect the soundstage?

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 41
Wow, I've forgotten how fast threads fall off the Headphones forum.

Anyway, one more question. How's it affect detail?

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my DT990s the way they are, but your mod sounds like a godsend. Sometimes the V-sound gets to me, but I don't find the bass low quality at all. Since it's been a few days, does the mod still sound as great? Is it still "simple" for a person who doesn't exactly have surgeon's hands? I'd be concerned about accidentally breaking or disconnecting the driver.

Also, how does it affect the soundstage?

As other mentioned: the most part of the low quality bass was actually caused by the leather pads. But on the other hand did the velours pads make the bass less defined. The mod is my solution to this problem: I have now well defined bass in reasonable proportions to the rest of the spectrum.
And I can still use the leather pads (they look sooooo good!!!
wink.gif
)

At first I was sure I was going to sell them, now I will definitely keep them.
It is not impossible that I will tune them some more or experiment a bit, but at least I know a way now to make them sound the way I want.

Anybody can do it. It is easy and 100% reversible, so no risk whatever.
As long as you take care not to break the (thin) threads attached to the driver there is nothing much that can go wrong (unless you drop the whole thing on the floor of course or sit on it
tongue.gif
)
You can tune it to your own liking by using different material or punching holes in the disk.

Soundstage: I find it better. Probably caused by the added detail/snappiness of the bass.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 41
Okay, so I've pulled out the earpad, hinges, and rings, but the driver is just lying in the cup. How can I get it out without damaging anything?

Edit: Nevermind. How did you get the cardboard into the left driver, though? I don't want to break those wires, but they're in an inconvenient place...

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 41
Well, I've managed to finish the mod without breaking anything. First impressions? It's different, for sure. The bass is less boomy, for sure. It's "neutral" now, or a bit above it. It's punchier, but it goes away faster. The mids are enhanced a bit. The biggest change for me, though, is the treble. Maybe it's because the bass is lessened, but it's a good deal more upfront. At the same time, though, it's less "piercing". The details definitely stand out more, and the soundstage hasn't changed too much. If I could lessen the treble a bit, it would be perfect.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've managed to finish the mod without breaking anything. First impressions? It's different, for sure. The bass is less boomy, for sure. It's "neutral" now, or a bit above it. It's punchier, but it goes away faster. The mids are enhanced a bit. The biggest change for me, though, is the treble. Maybe it's because the bass is lessened, but it's a good deal more upfront. At the same time, though, it's less "piercing". The details definitely stand out more, and the soundstage hasn't changed too much. If I could lessen the treble a bit, it would be perfect.

biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 41
yeah, isolating pads on an open back headphone?

gives the driver more throw as it disperses pressure out the back much easier, and all that pressure building up in the head-side of the cup really ruins the sound.

basically all you have done is turned your 990's into 770's, maybe a bit closer to 880's on the semi open part, as the cardboard isnt completely sealed.

get the 880/990 velours, remove the cardboard, else there will barely be a low end.

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, isolating pads on an open back headphone?

gives the driver more throw as it disperses pressure out the back much easier, and all that pressure building up in the head-side of the cup really ruins the sound.

basically all you have done is turned your 990's into 770's, maybe a bit closer to 880's on the semi open part, as the cardboard isnt completely sealed.

get the 880/990 velours, remove the cardboard, else there will barely be a low end.

They don't sound even remotely like DT770.

Giving the driver more throw as it disperses pressure out the back much easier, and all that pressure building up in the head-side of the cup really benefits the sound when you find the right balance for open/closed.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't quite understand this. Can you expound on it? I thought the driver gets more throw when it's open, not closed. Throw being speaker movement (as in Xmax)?

Aug 3, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't quite understand this. Can you expound on it? I thought the driver gets more throw when it's open, not closed. Throw being speaker movement (as in Xmax)?

I think that is exactly what he is saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back