Simple Digital Cable Questions
Mar 19, 2006 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I'm new to digital cables so excuse me if this is a bit simplistic. I want to try running the digital signal out from a CD player to my Micro DAC. The CD player has a coxial output (single jack that looks like an RCA type jack). The Micro DAC has a mini plug jack for optical/digital input. I assume this is what I need:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html

spdif01-xx.jpg

If so, is there a manufacturer or brand someone can recommend? I'm partial to Head-Fi sponsors. Is there a difference between cables? My CD player is rather dated. If quality is an issue, what price point should I be looking at considering my ancient CD Player (Sony CDP 650es DII) and Micro DAC?

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Based on what you indicated, it sounds like that cable would work fine.
Interesting that the Micro DAC will do either digital medium (optical/coax)... wish Apple's Airport Express did that.

One option though that may help is that you can use any existing Digital Coaxial cable you may own (RCA at both ends) and then just use an RCA-1/8 *MONO* adapter. You can get these cheap at RadioShack or similar stores. I'm currently using such an adapter out of a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS on my htpc.

Apparently it needs to be a MONO adapter. Do NOT buy a STEREO adapter.
If you observe the 1/8 jack on the RAM electronics cable you posted, you'll see it has the same configuration as a mono jack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

cheers

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 8
Heh, thanks for your response, but actually I don't have any coaxial digital cables so I might as well get something that has the proper connector built in.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
All you need is an RCA to mini cable. That simple!

Oh! I thought there was a difference between analog and digital cables.
redface.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 8
For a quality, low-jitter connection a 75ohm impedance is preferred (most analog cables cannot provide the bandwidth and low jitter that a cable designed for digital acheives). I use Belden 1694A - perhaps you could terminate one end with an RCA and the other with a 1/8"

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 8
What about 89259 cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back