1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Simon & Garfunkel

Discussion in 'Music' started by guyx1992, Apr 14, 2008.
Next

Last
  1. guyx1992
    I just did some order with my cd's and I found my Simon & Garfunkel Live reunion concert in central park and I decided to put it in my cd player (that is connected to my sony amp and stereo).
    I sat back, and just enjoyed the music. So pure and so fun to listen to.
    I own only two cd's, the central park concert and greatest hits.
    I'm about to buy the Greatest hits LP from someone at 5$ :]

Is there any other Simon & Garfunkel fans out there?

----------------
    Now playing: Simon & Garfunkel - Kathy's Song
    via FoxyTunes

2. blessingx Contributor
    Yes. I have an abridged promo of the Paul Simon 1964-1993 box set that gets most of my time, though have a few others. Have to admit I'm at least as much of a fan of Simon's solo work as his time with Garfunkel. As much as I love The Graduate for several reasons, their soundtrack calls me to the film at least once a year.

3. guyx1992
    Every time I finish watching the graduate I find myself listening to Simon & Garfunkel for about 3 hrs [​IMG]

4. Nick 214
    Yes!

I have a great 1st press of Scarborough Fair, I use to demo my Maggies a lot!

NK

5. TheRobbStory
    I grew up with S&G because my father played them almost exclusively on every family road trip. When they toured a few years ago, I took him for his birthday.

I'm 26 now, and I can't think of I time in my life without Simon and Garfunkel. I celebrate their entire catalog.

6. guyx1992
    As I said before, I've only heard the central park and the greatest hits album. If I want to get to know them better, should I go by the chronological order or not?

7. blessingx Contributor
    You could always try to find a used copy of the Collected Works box set. Don't know the recording quality, but you cover nearly everything in one swoop.

Or work backwards from Simon's The Rhythm of the Saints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I grew up with S&G because my father played them almost exclusively on every family road trip.

Same here though it was Fleetwood Mac in my case. A group I've just recently got into again.

8. TheRobbStory
    I would. I think it'd give you a pretty good idea of their evolution as songwriters.

I had a 3 disc anthology for the longest time, but I don't recall the title and can't find it on Amazon. There seem to be many similar albums, though. That might work as a good crash course in S&G..

I find this to be true of just about any artist I want to wrap my head around, though. Maybe it's just me.

9. guyx1992
    I don't really like compilations. Every artist (except S&G) I've started with some album and then moved to other albums and saved the compilation for last, that way I can "criticize" the choice of songs in the "the best" compilations. [​IMG]

10. Pingunugnug
    I have their Bridge over Troubled Water album in CD and Vinyl. I seem to enjoy almost every song from that one a lot. I also like their Greatest Hits on Vinyl. When I saw those "Essential" CD compliations in HMV I thought it would be pretty good but somehow I was kinda disappointed.

11. soozieq
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pingunugnug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I have their Bridge over Troubled Water album in CD and Vinyl. I seem to enjoy almost every song from that one a lot. I also like their Greatest Hits on Vinyl. When I saw those "Essential" CD compliations in HMV I thought it would be pretty good but somehow I was kinda disappointed.

I have Bridge Over Troubled Water on vinyl and CD as well, and I also bought the 'Essential' Collection for the 'missing' bits! I love "BOTW", it's an album I know inside out and back to front, just like Ziggy Stardust!!

12. Happy Camper
    The last box set I saw was "Old Friends" released in 1997. I was happy to get some of their popular songs without having to get all the releases but I wasn't too impressed with alot of the content. The Greatest Hits is essential for anybody building 60s era music.

I think these two are some of the best combos out there with Crosby & Nash. Paul carried them though as Art just don't have the creativity or flexability.

13. ozz
    Greatest hits on cd and play it once a month" Bridge Over Troubled Waters" being my favorite and then" Sounds Of Silence."

14. Kang
    I have many of their recordings. About 3 years ago, they performed in Chicago. It was a fabulous concert! I was on a high for several days. The Everely Brothers also appeared on stage and performed 4 of their songs. It was the best nonclassical concert I've attended.

15. Milner
    I've been an S+G fan since before birth[​IMG] Their music is a homebase in my life. I also love Paul Simon's solo stuff. The "African" years produced some great music. His "Obvious Child" tour is the single best live show I have seen!! (and I have seen A LOT of live shows)

Simon/Garfunkle, Kingston Trio, CSN, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Don McClean, etc are the music that keeps me grounded and happy.

Next

Last