SilverFi D-2 vs.Oyaide DR-510 Digital cables & SilverFi Spirit SG vs. Rumi SG interconnects REVIEW
Jul 13, 2013 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 254

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]INTRO[/size]

[size=12pt]After many years in this hobby I am starting to realize that there are some ways that one just can't explain. Ways that bring people closer, ways that actually don't have any boarders, ways that actually cannot be seen or felt, ways that actually connect two individuals without any logical explanation, maybe I could call them strange ways and be happy with it, but, even with such a label putted on-, it still amazes me how the whole becomes one and here is why.[/size]

[size=12pt]Hmm, it sounds so familiar, that sentence: " when the whole becomes one", brings up one interesting philosophical theory that maybe will explain this. It says: "When one drop water meets another, how many drops do you get?" The answer is one and, actually, this is the explanation. When two individuals that share many things, meet, even without physical presence, they forming something very special and that is why I am writing this as a result.[/size]

[size=12pt]At some point, one young gentleman asked me about specific matter and before we knew, we started communicating through P.M's. , which brought another subject on the table and leads to that moment when I was introduced to Mr. Sezai Saktanber and his creation [/size][size=12pt]www.silverfi.com[/size][size=12pt]  /  [/size][size=12pt]http://silverfi.blogspot.nl/[/size]

[size=12pt]As you can see, SilverFi is The Cable Atelier, which has been around for some time now, started in between 1995/96 and has been continuously in making of all kind silver based audio cables.[/size]

[size=12pt]The passionate and always searching for perfect sound person behind is Mr. Sezai Saktanber, who started his career as urban/city planner, after graduation in 1973 from the Faculty of Architecture of Ankara's Middle East Technical University in Turkey. Having such position didn't make his love for music less, no, it was only getting stronger and he was always looking for perfection. Searching for aural nirvana brought new opportunity and he took the chance by founding an audio import enterprise back in 1995 and as already mentioned, short after its own cable atelier, which became, and still going, his main business later.[/size]

[size=12pt]Manufacturing and finish.[/size]

[size=12pt]All SilverFi cables are hand-made in Turkey and by now 5th. generation products. They are crafted by Mr. Saktanber from bottom to top personally, using a unique drawing and casting technology with their own, specially cast, silver alloy. Basically, there are two different silver alloys with varying metal ratios, but in all cases, the proportion of silver used exceeds 95%. All SilverFi cables use air-gapped discrete strand topology and are unshielded. Reason, is personal choice of Mr. Saktanber, as he believes that shielding makes cables lifeless, blurred and fuzzy and a simple braiding architecture fulfils the shielding function. Still, careful attention should be paid to cable routing and it is better to keep away from power cables and transformers. The last, but not least, actually, severely important, all SilverFi cables are directional and should be used in the right direction only.[/size]

[size=12pt]Design and Philosophy[/size]

[size=12pt]This is very simple: maximize the use of air for insulation, minimize the use of the other insulation materials.[/size]
[size=12pt]All dielectric materials have negative sonic effects to varying degrees. Air doesn't store energy to release it out of time with the music the way other dielectrics do. Air dielectrics don’t smear or congest the sound. Each silver alloy strand is housed loosely inside its own sleeve to be mostly surrounded by air.[/size]
[size=12pt]SilverFi try to abstain from using more dielectric or heat/compression techniques during the annealing, drawing and tubing process since that negatively affects harmonic coherence, continuousness and micro/macro dynamics. A handcrafter's technique called 'cool tubing' helps each silver alloy strand to retain its intrinsic quality during the sleeving process. Almost all manufacturers use excessive heat and chemicals during the sleeving / jacketing process of the metal conductors. SilverFi don’t.[/size]
[size=12pt]SilverFi's conductors are not exposed to any heat, chemical processes or pressure techniques. Application of heat and pressure causes negative changes in the metal conductors properties and damages the ultimate performance of the cable. The sonic palette of SilverFi cables is quite different from other known brands/products. A cable should be transparent and well-balanced, yet pleasing in the long run. Mr. Saktanber listens to music at least 3-4 hours a day, so, this is all based on his own idea and preferences, which translated in the way this cables perform.[/size]

[size=12pt]To get the best out of SilverFi analogue interconnects, it is strongly recommend the use of their speaker cables, which will create the best possible match.[/size]
[size=12pt]Break-in is very important. Before any serious listening, SilverFi cables should be used for 300 hours. The cables continue to mature until they reach 500 hours.[/size]

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 254
[size=medium]SilverFi Digital D-2 cable Review[/size]

[size=medium]This review based on my own system and on continuously listening on daily base for a total period of one month.[/size]

[size=medium]On 27th of May the package arrived to my office in Amsterdam and from that moment I couldn’t wait until I got home, however, it didn’t stop me from checking them out, so, I opened up the package quickly and saw the same beautiful crafted SilverFi cables inside, as you can see on their website and pics here. Strange thing is, when you see them in reality, it does feel the same as when you see them online. I guess, the way the pictures are made, which I like a lot, gives you the right impressions about them and while this may not be that really interesting part, but for example, if I have to compare to JPS Aluminata, that I got on loan a while back, I was shocked when I held them in my hands for the first time, because they are heavy and totally inflexible and this is not the impression you may get if you see their pictures, but I don’t know, maybe it's me.[/size]

[size=medium]Different story with SilverFi cables, as they are very light and very flexible, it's like holding small, thin snake that rolled on your hand. Not sure why I associate these with such predator, but maybe because SilverFi cables give you an impression of living beings. Don’t get me wrong, and again, comparing them to my own cables, feels like they were crafted by machine, which they are, while SilverFi cables giving me the handcrafted feeling only, with so much care and passion that the part of the person who made them, been transferred in to their silver bodies and this is a fact for me, as the way these beautiful cables sounding, can't be any different, no way.[/size]

[size=medium] [/size]

[size=medium]I will start with Digital D-2 and Oyaide DR-510 cables, as it was the first that I did, compared the two using my own interconnects. Both are silver cables, where Oyaide connectors are silver also.[/size]

[size=medium]From the first notes I clearly heard the natural tone of Digital D-2 cable. You simply hear it in the way how the instruments sound like, their articulate detail and free of any veil presentation makes it very life like.[/size]
[size=medium]Oyaide is Japanese made and knowing the Japanese sound culture, I recognize that delicate tone of it, which impressed and still impressing me with absolutely no fatigue manner of connecting you with music, so, both are close in their manner, but differ in their tonality, where D-2 have more neutral tone with lots of transparency and Oyaide more delicate, which is simply slightly colored. There is clearly more openness and clarity with SilverFi D-2, but not at the expense of natural and musical sound ability. I think that both cables are great, but the chosen way of bringing you closer to music is different. Oyaide can be called more forgiving as it is the way this wonderful cable sounds like, also, and this is where I starting feel that they are walking differ paths, D-2 is simply more transparent and honestly more closer to the record, while due its coloration, Oyaide have that mysterious delicacy that do not feel unnatural or losing the musicality either. Both can be called balanced in the way they portrait music, but in the way they portrait musicians SilverFi D-2 still have more linear structure, nothing jump out or take more attention, while DR-510 clearly showing the slightly upfront presentation of leading part, say, piano or voice. It's not really annoying or disturbing, but still have one step away from how SilverFi is sounding. This also has some little influence on the rest of the spectrum, which may get a bit shadowed presentation, while D-2's simply equally portrait, without hiding any part.[/size]

[size=medium]When I was listening to Alboran Trio album "Near Gale" http://www.alborantrio.com/inglese/indexing.htm[/size] it was very clear to me how the musicians are presented using those cables, exactly like I wrote, using Oyaide DR-510 feels like you stand almost next to the piano, while some things slightly behind, but SilverFi offer more equally divided picture, where each instrument, or part of it ( think of drums ), sounds at the same level, but still not crossing each other.
[size=medium]Another good example is Anna's Netrebko "Sempre Libera" http://www.annanetrebko.com/recordings/cd/4748002.php[/size] en the presentation of stage, includes Anna's voice and her movements on stage, all have less depth with Oyaide, its more closer to your ears, slightly upfront, like you sitting in the first row but not so with SilverFi, which reproduce clearly better stage depth and width, to me, closer to the record, without mixing or changing anything, like you are sitting in opera theatre balcony, where you can see the whole few and hear the full sound spectrum.

[size=medium]There is no point to talking about the last detail with these as they both bring that easy enough to make sure that you don’t miss a lot or anything, but then again, the tonality is the key here, while both are great, but they do perform in different surrounding and I literally mean wire of course. All this airiness and freedom of extra clothing and shielding, creates that transparent and natural openness of SilverFi cable, while Oyaide, due its total different way of been enclosed, or I would say, surround coated, creates that delicacy, which reflects a lot what silver is capable of, but not at the same way.[/size]
[size=medium]Comparing both, a good example will be how the hi hats or cymbals are presented, because it is easy to catch the differences by concentrating on this part of the music and like I already mentioned, SilverFi do not pushed them back, hide or covering them, clearly, they do have their own place and you don’t have to be worry you miss any of them. On the other hand, Oyaide don’t pay that high attention to the smallest detail and let them slightly shadowed, which make them less natural sounding.[/size]

[size=medium]Verdict[/size]

[size=medium]To me, both are very well made and worth to own / try and as I already wrote, they are great sounding cables with their own way of  bringing you closer to music. The differences are obvious, but not shocking, at least to my understanding of sound quality, however, even Oyaide do not losing by a large margin, I am defiantly for more open and natural way of SilverFi D-2 and while both getting my recommendation, my personal choice goes to SilverFi D-2:)[/size]

[size=medium]Price wise, it doesn’t matter, as they both cost almost the same, which is very good and your personal preferences are demanding up here only, so, chose your flavor and enjoy![/size]

[size=medium]System:[/size]
[size=medium]Unison Research CD player with 2x ECC82 tubes on output stage, was used as transport[/size]
[size=medium]Sony Vaio laptop[/size]
[size=medium]Blacknote DAC30[/size]
[size=medium]Black Pearl headphone amplifier[/size]
[size=medium]Cary CAD 300B sei integrated amplifier[/size]
[size=medium]AKG K702 headphones[/size]

[size=medium]Cables:[/size]
[size=medium]SilverFi Digital D-2 USD 198 p.m. ( reviewed 0,5m ) [/size]
[size=medium]SilverFi Spirit SG - USD 245 p.m.  ( reviewed 0,70m )[/size]
[size=medium]SilverFi Rumi SG - USD 495 p.m.  ( reviewed 0,70m )[/size]

[size=medium]Digital Oyaide DR-510 silver 0,70m - EUR 190-210 [/size]
[size=medium]Amber IC cooper 1m - was AUD 350 [/size][size=medium]http://www.audiophile.com/collections/amber[/size][size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]DHL Labs Silversonic USB[/size]

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 254
[size=12pt]This part of the review concerns two beautiful SilverFi cables from Black & Blue Series Interconnects, namely Spirit SG & Rumi SG, where Spirit SG was recently added. I was listening to them very closely  for over a month through my headphones & speakers.[/size]

[size=12pt]If you have read my review about SilverFi  Digital D-2 cable it should be obvious that we are talking about a cable that is very transparent. Without any further surprise to me, here we clearly also have cables from the same family.[/size]

[size=12pt]I will even go ahead and say, putting these cables all together in my system made a huge difference, but how does the Spirit SG compares to the more expensive Rumi SG? In this review I will try to explain their ways of presenting music, as both of them deserve that for sure.[/size]

[size=12pt]Rumi SG[/size]

[size=12pt]General description of this wonderful cable will be refreshing and eye opening. It's like when your eyes are tired and getting less sharp, having some ice cold water all over your face fixes this and makes you feel much better, the eyes getting that therapy shock, which makes you feel like…yes, refreshed, but wait a minute guys as we are not there yet. After you gently touch your face with a soft jack-towel,  several seconds later your skin starts to feel more normal, better say natural, as the blood is getting its speed back and makes this possible and this is the feeling, at that specific moment, like you have been born again and even though that moment does not last long, with SilverFi Rumi SG cables it will and that’s the beauty of it.[/size]

[size=12pt]Spirit SG[/size]

[size=12pt]The most correct description I can give, would be natural delicacy. It's when you make that first step out of bodega, while the day is getting to its end and the sun going down and becomes red and the air is not hot anymore, but just warmish with a fresh flavor, which is carried by the wind coming from the vineyard down the hill and after you slowly fall down in to that lazy chair, having a first sip of a soft and slightly sweet rose wine, you are starting to feel that happiness of peace and nothing can change that or nobody can take this moment from you. This is how I feel when I listen to music through Spirit SG cable. [/size]

[size=12pt]Before I am going in to detail, I would like to say something that I think is very important. Silver, and that is my realization, isn't cold, bright and lifeless sounding material, no, all this depends on the way it's been made and put together.[/size]

[size=12pt]Sound, emotions & more…[/size]

[size=12pt]Bass[/size]

[size=12pt]The most important for me, is to concentrate on that particular part of the record so I can detect all differences and nuances. I started with E.S.T. "Good Morning Susie Soho" track no. 2 Do They Jungle , which is a very complex track.[/size]

[size=12pt]From the first notes it's very clear that Rumi is all about staying tight and articulate, no matter what, cool is what it is. Its natural presentation and ability of portraying the detail from deepest and most complex passages is very impressive. There is nothing around that string, only the air and its damn clear & clean to:)[/size]

[size=12pt]It shouldn’t come as an surprise if bass sounds very tight, even maybe slightly dry, but believe me, this is 100% dependable on the record quality, as these cables are all about transparency, especially Rumi. For example, from the Arild Anderson album "Hyperborean" track no.2, which is also the name of it, gives you that amazing double bass solo that somehow lets me think of the lost soul in the desert, full of sorrow, which is surrounded by endless space. Imagine that, it supposed to sound dry, by giving you sad emotions, no sweet moments here, it’s a dream of the lost one who tries to find his way out, but unfortunately, all he has, is the desert of loneliness, however there are some parts of the solo that do sound fuller as well. Those little, short, thrilling moments of weakness, like after a long run, you are out of breath and stop to make the biggest inhale and let all this out the next few seconds, just to become more stable and to me, Aril performance translates and transfers this brilliantly, which is only possible with cables that are able to reproduce this from the deepest parts of the record and both of them do it with ease, but Rumi goes deeper, right to the soul of it.[/size]

[size=12pt]When you compare to Spirit, its only lost, is with very complex moments, like the Track no.2 from E.S.T., bass simply transforming in more subtle presence, clearly fattier and less detailed. I will not call it messy, but with less presence and authority, but in reality, again, it's the short on air around it. When we come in the solo moment parts, things here are also not the same, while both do a great job, Spirit has more delicate tone and while the bass still has less ego, if you like, its tonality is perfectly natural without any artificial coloration, nothing of that kind, just different, that’s all.  There is also one thing I found very interesting and that is the fact that Spirit has slightly more punch and you can hear/feel it, especially with ambient and electronica, which I believe is because of little bit upfront signature, but basically, Rumi have clearly more air around the notes and clarity, that's the biggest difference, which automatically translates in better detail and balance.[/size]

[size=12pt]Mids [/size]

[size=12pt]This is a very crucial department as it is territory of most joy, the place where all happens and therefore I choose Buddha-Bar IX 2CD's release by Ravin, track no. 8 from CD1 "Heart Beat Of Life" by Existence. 
The complexity of things in this track are pretty on the age, I mean, sure, we all have our different opinions and ideas of complexity, but, to me, this is more than enough to point out every bit of all things you may find important. 
Before I am going into detail, let me say that both cables are fantastic, but let's take a look a bit deeper.

Here you will start truly appreciate the air between instruments and every small detail going on that Rumi simply amazes you with. I mean, Spirit is wonderful to, its slightly warmer signature makes the whole presentation more polite, but it doesn't mean Rumi is colder, tonality is different, it's like choosing one tube vs. another. Like I wrote, the track is full of everything, but it starts easy and pretty soon it develops in to the most complex sound. It happens in steps, getting complex and having a little break, then again, all those sounds and voices are getting in one point, in that particular moment when you literally feel the music. I know it may sound strange, but at that particular moment, when many differ sounds cross that mid territory, it feels like  you are inside of all this, like been underwater in the coral Red Sea, where the intensity of colors simply shock you. Same here, very intense and powerful music, but both cables allow you to enjoy this moment effortlessly, where Rumi does not miss a single, little thing at all, which impresses me even more, I simply get goose bumps, which is very emotional moment of been a part of it, simply exceptional. [/size]

[size=12pt]Treble[/size]

[size=12pt]Both cables are doing great, but freedom from any coloration and greater airiness, makes Rumi my favorite. I mean, of course, there is more detail and preciseness, you hear all that, but that’s not the main reason. Different tonality, that’s what puts Rumi step ahead from Spirit, especially with certain music, such as opera for example, but I don’t see this as a limitation of Spirit, no, it is simply the way it was made, however, when you compare the two, without any doubts, Rumi wins, but also because of its ability of disappear in the sound, getting closer to the source as it can be, naturally adapting within your system and becoming one as a whole, all this makes Rumi a very special and much natural sounding cable than Spirit. When I listen to Anna Netrebko - Sempre Libera - Giuseppe Verdi - La Traviata - È strano! È Strano! Deutsche Grammophon, her soprano fluently takes the highest notes, literally goes through your ears and goes further, without any sign of having trouble, it's like the reality, when you are in the opera theatre, sitting on that best balcony and listen. I don’t know how it works, but it works magically perfect, with both, Rumi & Spirit, where Rumi is neutrally natural and Spirit has more delicate tone, like when you put some tinny cashmere blanket over it, which will softly add that warmth without becoming artificially colored and unatural. Sorry that I am repeating myself, but these cables are all about transparency and natural tone, period. Also it must be said how precise and grain free both cables are, especially through my speakers, endless enjoyment, for example Josete Ordonez Piedras y Rosas EP Studio Master FLAC 24bit 44.1kHz, the guitar solos are so beautiful, crystal clear, clean, precise and very musical.[/size]

[size=12pt]Realization[/size]

[size=12pt]During the whole period I never felt that one cable totally destroys the other, which is the main thing that I have learned and realized about them. I truly enjoy listening to the music through them, but, there are things that definitely are not the same. The tonality is one of them and while this still is not an issue in general, with more deeper comparison, my favorite is Rumi. This cable goes deeper in to the source, bringing the most of it in a more balanced way, better authority and airiness, with a very realistic and natural tone. Another thing is transparency. While both are great in that department, Rumi does not compromise and shows you exactly what you put through it. This concerns not the source only, but the whole system as I am definitely hearing the differences of my CD player when I use it as stand alone or just transport, so, Rumi shows you all.[/size]

[size=12pt]Where does all this leaves Spirit? Well, right there where it belongs, in the system of course. This cable is not a loser, actually, this cable is a winner as well, because of its own, very special signature, which is addicting, delightful and very musical, absolutely not artificial by any means, simply naturally delicate. Yes, it has more forgiveness in the character, which make it possible to accept some things easier, but this cable is not a panacea, if you know what I mean. Don’t expect wonders here either, as it will be, just as Rumi, showing no mercy, if you employ this cable wrongly. What I mean is, give these cables a good system with a good quality source and they show you the best of it, there is nothing else you will get,  just what the system is capable of only, so, if you like to try silver cables or would like to upgrade your present ones, these get my highest recommendation.[/size]

[size=12pt]Enjoy![/size]

[size=medium]p.m. Would like to thank Mr. Saktanber for make this possible, who is not only the man with golden ears, but also happened to be a very friendly and kind person.[/size]
[size=medium]Also, would like to thank tohenk2 for his generosity by loaning me GS1000 & HD800, rosgr63, maguire and alota for open mind & support and, of course, witness, for introducing me to SilverFi and Mr. Saktanber.[/size]
[size=medium]Thank you very much guys, you have been and still are the best![/size]

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 254
First Class Review!
Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, learned a lot from you as I always do.

Thanks for taking the time and all the hard work you put in it.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 254
nice and extensive review.
and you´ve a nice room with hp´s stuffs
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 254
Great Thorough review Blackmore,you got right into it giving us all the emotions you felt and what the different cables brought to the table.
A very enjoyable read and as a bonus you presented some artistic photo's also.... Bravo....
Now I too would also like to try these cables from Turkey.......Why should you have all the fun...
size]

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 254
I was also wondering about the cables being unshielded and how you should avoid power cables etc.  If I was using these cables as an XLR interconnect (DAC to amp)  what precautions, if any, should I take to avoid interference from adjacent power cables on the DAC and amp?

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 254
Quote:
I was also wondering about the cables being unshielded and how you should avoid power cables etc.  If I was using these cables as an XLR interconnect (DAC to amp)  what precautions, if any, should I take to avoid interference from adjacent power cables on the DAC and amp?

Make sure they don't run parallel.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 254
Thing is, in my own system, I never experienced any problems with that and the cables are all over the place. I suggest you just p.m. Mr. Saktanber,  fantastic person to have business with for sure. 

THX

Quote:

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 254
Head-Fi + Wallet don't go together..........

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 254
I just checked your profile, man, do yourself a favor and get Spirit SG at least. Also, strongly recommend their digital D-2 cable, simply best to combine them to get the best out of system, if you need or can use one of course. Pity they dont make any USB cables, but SilverFi going to make step in the headphone cables territory, starting with cables for Audeze, interesting.

Let us know what you have decided please.

THX

Quote:
Thanks Rosgr and Blackmore.  I think my wallet is mounting a legal case against me....oh well.
beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #15 of 254
Quote:
I just checked your profile, man, do yourself a favor and get Spirit SG at least. Also, strongly recommend their digital D-2 cable, simply best to combine them to get the best out of system, if you need or can use one of course. Pity they dont make any USB cables, but SilverFi going to make step in the headphone cables territory, starting with cables for Audeze, interesting.

Let us know what you have decided please.

THX

Thanks for the tip!  I was thinking Rumi SX with XLR for my DP1 to BHSE.  Your thoughts?
EDIT: Also I dont see the Spirit SG in their product page??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back