silver interconnects- gimmik?
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

curiousmuffin

100+ Head-Fier
i have both the copper and silver interconnects from signalcable.com which were recommended to me years back from here. however after upgrading to a better amp with undoubtedly a cleaner signal path, i can't help but notice that silver interconnect has a bit of a metallic 'twang' to it. harsh would be a word choice deserving the same term. but by no means is it as soft and mellow sounding as the signalcable's copper interconnects even though it still possesses more detail and just as distinguished bass. in fact the silver cables are a notch better in every aspect- except that it also comes with a sharp coloration. pretty much every claims from every company about their silver cables always say something about how it's not going to be harsh at all. and i imagine they do their best to make it so- but is this the limit of silver as the material choice? are they innately more metallic sounding than copper?

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 19
Signal cable resolution cables aren't pure silver. They are silver plated copper which tends to have the effects you describe. Pure silver usually doesn't and is preferred but more expensive.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 19
Pure silver is too bright. The trick is to mix it. My friend loaned me some expensive pure silver RCAs, bell sounds were 3d and super clear, but no bottom. It may sound good with a dull amp though. Yes, also sounds like metal twang too. There was no perfect spectrum of sound only detail in a small tone area. They may be good if you bi-amp with 2 driver speakers and only have an amp for tweeters. They would go from pre-amp to tweeter amp. That is what I heard they were used for in the past.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 19
From what I understand, the amount of silver has nothing to do with the sound. Silver plated copper has a reputation for sounding harsh, but silver extruded on copper, which makes for a better contact between the metals, is supposed to avoid this. Likewise, the construction of the cable is supposed to be very important as well.

It may be worth using the cables for a while, to see if the harshness disappears. Some people believe that cables can require "burn in" and change their effect on the sound with use.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to offset the negative effect of SPC interconnects, you can try using pure silver power cord in the same system.

tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously.

redface.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 19
With tubes Silver is better IMO. I like Rhodium a little more but would be happy with Silver. With solid state it may be a little tricky? Spend a little money and find out which you like better OP? That is the best way to find out for sure?

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 19
SPC tends to sound heinous unless it's either continuous cast (ALO SXC, and even that tends to have a bit of bright color to it) or it's going onto a really dark component (HD650). Try the SCSCag OCC silver from Cryoparts if you want to hear some real silver.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 19
um.. hehe youre kidding about the power cable, right? xP

so um yes, im willing to gamble some money on pure silver cables since i like the added clarity of SPC so much. it is no exaggeration when they say '3d' effect from silver treated cables- the added resolution does bring out an extra dimension in imaging. some silver recommendations please? thx in advance.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Spend some money and find out? Or go to a few mini-meets in your area and see what Head-Fiers are using. Maybe go to the local Hi-Fi shop in your area and see what is hooked up and ask questions. Doesn't cost anything to look? Unless you buy something!

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SPC tends to sound heinous unless it's either continuous cast (ALO SXC, and even that tends to have a bit of bright color to it) or it's going onto a really dark component (HD650). Try the SCSCag OCC silver from Cryoparts if you want to hear some real silver.

Cheap silver plated copper, i.e. the common "mil-spec" or Navships SPC, has a tendency to sound thin, brittle, and overall quite unbalanced. However this cheap, in actuality, eletrical wire, gives silver plated copper a bad rap. Quality silver plated copper, i.e. wire that is basically a silver wire with a small copper core rather than just copper with a thin layer of silver plating over it, sounds dead neutral and is very transparent. There's no mid-range glare, no thin top end, and no coloration. I've found it to be nearly as resolving as high purity silver without the loss of musicality. Of course, you have to custom order wire like this most of the time but, durablity aside, there's a reason why companies like Apuresound choose to go with it over pure silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back