Silver cable quieter than copper??
Mar 29, 2006 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JJ15k

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I recently replaced the stock extension cord of my K1000 with 4 99.99% silver wire with teflon insulation.
However There is something surprising, when testing sound level with a sine wave using my SPL meter, silver wire is 0.3db quieter than copper?? and this even though the silver cable is somewhat shorter than the copper one.
Any thoughts on this?

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 7
I had the same idea but I repeated the test multiple times, with different frequencies, placements and so on, and the silver was alway a tad quieter. Altough my spl meter precision isn t that good.

Anyway,do you think that the fact that I only have one awg20 wire per channel makes my cable more resistant(ie there is more resistance) than the multiple stands of copper? I didn t think that the power needed by the cans would be enough to warrant multiple wires...

I was curious to see what very expensive cables were all about, let s see if I can distinguish my two cables sonically...

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Interconnects. Nothing else makes sense.

MHO

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Wire is wire. The only way that it could be quieter is if the resistance of the silver wire is higher then the copper on. Even then you would need a HIGH resistance. We're talking about 20-50 ohm for high-z cans (Not in a math mood now so no accurate numbers). Silver wire and copper wire even of very small diametre still only has <0.1ohm /foot

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 7
I agree with all of you who say that it shouldn t be measurable, maybe this is just a coincidence, I just wanted to know if there might be another explanation.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back