Silver cable connected to copper cable
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ohhgourami

Headphoneus Supremus
Assuming, silver and copper cables actually sound different, what would a silver cable connected to a copper cable sound like?  Would it just sound like a bit of both?  Would one override the other?  Would using silver at all at the beginning of the chain even matter?

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Assuming, silver and copper cables actually sound different, what would a silver cable connected to a copper cable sound like?  Would it just sound like a bit of both?  Would one override the other?  Would using silver at all at the beginning of the chain even matter?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "connected". Do you mean splicing them together? There are several cables that use a combination of pure copper and pure silver to good effect. A lot of Harmonic Tech cables for example are made that way. Kimber also makes cables that use silver for the signal and copper for the return. Silver plating is a different matter. I'm not fond of that.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 7
What I meant was make an adapter using silver wire then connect the other end of the adapter to something with copper wire.  Sorry for the confusion.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
What I meant was make an adapter using silver wire then connect the other end of the adapter to something with copper wire.  Sorry for the confusion.

There really isn't a good reason to do that. Connectors are a necessary evil, most are made out of some form of brass or bronze, and also need to be soldered so you're introducing several different metals into the chain. There's also increased resistance and impedance mismatches from multiple connectors.

If you melted the copper and silver and then fused them together eliminating all of those issues, I would assume that you'd end up with a combination of the sound of both.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 7
My portable system has various types of metals in it.  I can assure you that this does not do anything harmful to the sound.  Mix and match all you want, the only gain you get by using 100% of one type of cable is peace of mind knowing the cabling is all the same.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back