SILCLEAR + PROGOLD =GOOD SOUND
Aug 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently followed up a suggestion on the Mapleshade Audio site that you could apply both Progold (renamed DeoxitGold) and Silclear (a silver particle paste) on contacts together for better results. (they sell both)

I liked Silclear in particular with Stax items because it seems to give a bass boost which alleviates the etch that sometimes is heard on Lambdas. Progold also increases signal levels but tends to bring out more treble.

Applying both was a a major improvement over either alone. The sound was probably more neutral but a clearer and more dynamic across the frequency spectrum. My first though when I applied it to my 007A and plugged it into the Stax 717 was "BHSE!" i.e. it reminded me of the BHSE I had heard recently at Canjam.

Now I am not going to say that it is as good as a BHSE but soundwise
moving in that direction and given the cost of the BHSE this is about as close as I am going to get to the BHSE in the foreseeable future.

Basically apply the Progold first with a small brush. It cleans the surface but you may also try a separate cleaner sold as Deoxit. The apply Silclear with a small stiff brush. With the Progold already on, the Silclear spreads better and doesn't clump up. You don't want any excess of this stuff falling off because it can cause shorts and I find that even small residue around contact seems to slightly impair sound quality.

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi Ed. I have read your suggestions about Silclear but have been a little worried about sound quality degradation over time as someone mentioned in one of the Audiogon forums. They also mentioned it can be hard to clean or remove later on. I know you have been using Silclear for a while. Has that been an issue for you? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back