SikTh - fans? detractors?
Jun 25, 2007 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since I discovered this band - which wasn't too long ago, actually - I've seen their material consistently draw an immense amount of criticism from music fans on all ends of the spectrum. The metalheads think it's an abomination, the 'cores think it's too bizarre, the rockers think it's too dark and heavy, and everybody else simply couldn't care less.

I've read more negative than I have positive, and it's sort of baffling to me because I think this band is absolutely incredible... and since I don't believe there's ever been any prior discussion regarding this band here, I was curious if there were any other fans? Or even detractors with reasoning that's slightly more developed than, "They suck!"...?

To those who haven't heard them, I'm not really sure how to accurately describe their sound. They mix speed, thrash, death, technical, experimental, and otherwise extreme metal with metalcore, numetal, melodic balladry, and other things in a way that often amounts to something apart from any and all of those styles. The instrumental work is astounding across the board, including mind-warping drumming, heavy and twisted riffing, abstract melodies, layered textural collages, guitar solos that run the gamut from breakneck shredding to slow and beautiful leads, and more - all delivered in a style that's technically impressive and frenetic while deftly avoiding scattershot chaos. The arrangements are tight, dark, and very focused in their direction, laying to rest the fallacious lines that have been drawn between this band and the Dillinger Escape Plan. The creativity is undeniable as they juxtapose angular riffs and twisting rhythmic patterns against sweeping choruses and soaring climaxes. The dual vocal assault can be a tough hurdle to overcome for some listeners, but is brilliant in its own right.

I only own their sophomore album, Death of a Dead Day, but over the past few months it has turned into an album that I keep coming back to over and over and over again. There are some unquestionably bad songs on it, but even those bad songs have some "wow" parts right in the middle or towards the end that make me sit through the remainder... and the good songs are simply amazing. I just can't get over tracks like "Way Beyond the Fond Old River", "Summer Rain", and "As the Earth Spins Round".

Anyway - any other thoughts?

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 3
not a fan of the new album at all, compared to the debut ep's and the first studio album, the quality is just not there. Such a shame for me, seeing as i really love their older material. the new stuff just didn't sound as original. and as good as they are in the studio, they absolutely suck live. a pity, because they have great potential.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 3
YEah, you're not the first person to tell me that they suck live. I guess I'll never know since they seem to have taken some lineup hits... ignorance is bliss and all that.

I'll pick up their first studio album sometime soon.

edit: lol, you're the only person who ever replies to my threads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back