Significant audio improvement with Zero DAC on my MacBook Pro?
Jun 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sovelin

100+ Head-Fier
This is kind of a two part question. I'm currently in Dominica, and won't be back in the US for a few months. There are several songs that I want, and I usually just buy them from iTunes. But if I like enough songs, I'll buy the entire album. There are a few albums that I want to get, and I'm trying to decide if I should wait until I get to the US to buy the actual CD, or if the iTunes quality is good enough. I'm using a MacBook Pro with DT770 80ohm, and I can't tell the difference between iTunes plus and lossless with this set-up. 

I am planning on buying the Zero DAC/Amp with Moon, and I have heard this should significantly enhance my listening experience with my DT770's. My question is, with the Zero, will I then be able to notice difference between iTunes plus and lossless, or would it still be indistinguishable? If the latter, I can just buy the albums now instead of having to wait a few months to get these songs.

Any input would be appreciated, especially if anyone has a similar or the same set-up.

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 6
There are many reasons you might not hear the difference.  I'm unaware of the bitrate difference, but it might be so slight that few people/setups would be able to tell the difference.  (Let me know the formats/bitrates of each, and I could more accurately say)

That said, the Zero should offer you an overall improvement in quality.  Feed it with your Mac's digital out, instead of the USB.  Most people find that the Zero has a rudimentary USB implementation.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 6
iTunes Plus is 256 AAC. Lossless is, well, lossless. I understand the Zero would give me an improvement, but would it also make the difference between the two formats noticeable with my headphones, or do I need a significantly higher-fidelity (read expensive) system before I notice the bitrate difference?

I've actually heard that the Mac's digital output kinda sucks. Thanks for the input, though!

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
iTunes Plus is 256 AAC. Lossless is, well, lossless. I understand the Zero would give me an improvement, but would it also make the difference between the two formats noticeable with my headphones, or do I need a significantly higher-fidelity (read expensive) system before I notice the bitrate difference?

I've actually heard that the Mac's digital output kinda sucks. Thanks for the input, though!

A lot of people can't find a difference between 256 AAC and ALAC.  AAC is a fairly efficient codec.  Do you NEED to tell the difference, instead of just enjoying music? = O

I've always heard just the opposite, and can definitely tell you that the Zero's USB sucks more.  I fed one with a crappy Conextant SmartAudio digital out, and it sounded better than via USB.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Haha, thanks for the clarification. I don't need to be able to tell the difference, but if I'm paying the same amount for a physical cd and a digital one, I want to make sure what I'm getting is the best sound. But if they're both gonna sound the same with what I've got, then I might as well just use iTunes.  Thanks for all the help.

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 6
You can have the most expensive/best gear in the world, but if your ears aren't up to par you would never reap the benefits from such a rig.
Back to your question, yes from what I've read a Zero DAC should offer an improvement on the default output of a Macbook Pro... Don't hold me to that though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back