Sigh...I have the itch to upgrade
Feb 22, 2004 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sultan165

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to you folks, I am now obsessed with headphones
frown.gif
(on the plus side, I am getting away from car audio) and am interested in getting a second pair. Anyways, right now I have an hd 590 with the equinox cable and a super mini. My source is either my laptop (crappy soundcard) or an old jvc cd player (probably the best portable cd player i've ever heard). As for my listening taste, I listen to virtually everything. In my rank from most to least, I listen to rap (older 90s stuff), rock/metal (80s stuff), classical (included pop orchestra music), jazz (mostly big band), and some stuff with strong vocals (pavoratti among others). Although I like the 590 because it does a pretty good job with all the music that I listen to, I would like to get another headphone that would be better at rap and rock. My budget is under $200, so that takes out the cd 3000, hd 650, dt 880, etc. Right now, I am looking at either a sr 225 or a dt 770. I am leaning towards the dt 770 because it is supposedly a "fun" headphone and I like the fact that it is closed. However, I am not sure if my super mini would be enough to power it. Given the sources and amp that I have, what are your thoughts?

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet! I personally would go for the Grados over the 770s just because even though they might be colored, they are closer to neutral than the 770s hyped bass. I find that any cans that stray too far from neutral annoy me in the long run. Of course, you may feel completely different and be into a basshead phase, in which case, go straight for the 770s! I used to be a basshead myself in my younger days.
basshead.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 12
Probably the SR225s overall since they handle a wider variety of music than the DT770s.

Feb 22, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 12
I think I may be in a similar position and I've almost decided on the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 because I want some closed cans. They're a bit big, so only for home use, but apparently easier to drive than the ones you asked about.

I would like to know from anyone who has heard both the HD 590 and A900, how they compare and if the A900 is considered an upgrade or just different?

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 12
As compared to the hd 590, it seems that the sr 225 is better for rock and the dt 770 is better for rap. Again comparing the two to the hd 590, is the sr 225 better in rap and is the dt 770 better in rock? If either of the cans is clearly better than the hd 590 in both genres, then I'll probably spring for that one. Of course, if you all say that both headphones are better for both rap and rock, then I suppose it'll come down to whichever is cheaper. Thanks everyone

Feb 22, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Just to confuse you even more
smily_headphones1.gif
. The new Sennheiser HD 595 should be available in a week or two.

Personally, I don't think bass heavy headphones are good for rap. Rap is already bass heavy and I think it would end up too much. I think I would go for the sr 225's in your case.

Feb 22, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 12
How are the new 5X5 series supposed to sound?

Are they still going to have the high detail hard to drive "laid back" charecteristics as the other senns? Or do you think they will be "up front" and bright like the grados?

Feb 23, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't think any headphone under $200 is significantly better than the HD590, so it maybe worthwhile for you to wait until you can spend more for something like HD650 or Alessandro MS2 or the likes.

Feb 23, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by some1x
I don't think any headphone under $200 is significantly better than the HD590, so it maybe worthwhile for you to wait until you can spend more for something like HD650 or Alessandro MS2 or the likes.

I probably phrased my question wrong. I think the more appropriate question is what headphone would best complement my 590s given my musical taste?

Feb 23, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Sultan165
I probably phrased my question wrong. I think the more appropriate question is what headphone would best complement my 590s given my musical taste?

Do you want them to be closed or open?

You may want to see this thread:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=61712

Basically, I'm trying to decide on some closed headphones, unamped to complement my 590's. I think the A900 is the way to go for me, because I specifically want closed cans, but you haven't specified this and the sr 225's are open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back