*sigh*I cant decide. Another one of those IEM threads
Jun 3, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
I really cant decide which IEM to get, I recently blew the left driver in my er6's (nfi how I did that) and Im left with a pair of e2cs with a slowly dying cable. Now I liked the detail of the er6's but they really did sound thin, I could EQ them but the rather prominent fluttering sound I could hear after boosting the bass told me hese really arent built for a very bassy sound.

I sorta like the bass on the e2c but they generally sound as if the diaphragm was constructed with lead, so Ive lost alot of the detail and transient response.. Now my question is what's going to give me a sort of balance sound between the er6 and e2c? And isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg

I like listening to jazz, funk, classical and a little bit of metal sometimes.... So Im calling out to all you head-fi guru's to please give me a little direction... pleeeaaasssee!

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 6
what are you willing to spend? around here, arm and a leg just excludes the UE-10's and Sensas
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 6
e4c's.

maybe slightly less bass, and a bit less bright, but a good mixture of teh two phones, imo

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Depends on what you mean by "an arm and a leg"
icon10.gif
What kind of arms and legs are we talking about? They come in all shapes, sizes, and prices, you know...

How about the ER-4P? You can find some for around $200. The new Shure e4c might be worth a look, if the reports are true - they should be around $200 also. The ER-4P will have a very similar signature to the ER-6, but it will be more detailed and more well-rounded. There's also the Future Sonics EM3 to consider, which will have a decently strong bass and a fairly clear treble, for a lot less money than the first two options (~$100-ish, maybe even less).

Also, how were you bass-boosting your ER-6's? If you were just pushing the bass into gain, then chances are it was your amp/portable that was clipping, not the ER-6's. I use subtractive EQ - dropping out everything but the bass frequencies, and raising the volume. In this way, I've bass-boosted the hell out of the ER-4P's until they sounded like an earthquake going off inside my head, but they definitely didn't clip. Now, as to the quality of their bass when it's pushed that far... Well, no comment. You said it yourself, these aren't meant to put out kicking bass. It's there, but it's not driving or impactful.

If you don't mind spending a little more, I can safely vouch for the UM2's. They're not as detailed as the ER-4P's, but are certainly much smoother and better balanced - and oh yes, they have bass
basshead.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for your replies guys

Im kinda deciding between the e4c and the er4p... Id love to have as much detail out of an earphone as possible but if it comes at the price of lower build quality I'll be edging more towards the e4c.

Can anyone give a description of how sturdy the e4c is? I mean the e2c feels like a pretty damn sturdy earphone compared to the er6 which you kinda have to treat a little more gently

Cat: I am pretty certain that it's not my portable distorting cause of the fluttering sound, if an amp distorts it's a much more prominent clip sound... think ipod bass boost, thats clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back