Side-grade from the Image X10?
Apr 10, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Each enclosure plays host to two drivers: one woofer, handling low-end frequencies up to 1,500Hz, and a tweeter handling everything above 1,500Hz."

~source

Thanks....
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 31
After some preliminary searching based on your advice, it seems like my best options at the moment are IE7s and SE530s. keep hearing about a midbass hump, which I was hoping to avoid. I took a look a the the turbines, but the lack of soundstage and reports of boomy bass are putting me off a little bit. I'd be much more willing to sacrifice a little bass for the excellent mids of a phone like the SE530 if I had to, but I was hoping to stay away from boomy. I'm leaning towards the 530s right now, but I will probably try and find a way to listen to them both those and the IE7 before I make a decision. My listening styles are just too varied for me to be able to make a good choice without listening to them. My X10s are thankfully still holding together and probably will for at least a month or so yet so there's no rush. Thanks for the help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anomaly10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some preliminary searching based on your advice, it seems like my best options at the moment are IE7s and SE530s. keep hearing about a midbass hump, which I was hoping to avoid. I took a look a the the turbines, but the lack of soundstage and reports of boomy bass are putting me off a little bit. I'd be much more willing to sacrifice a little bass for the excellent mids of a phone like the SE530 if I had to, but I was hoping to stay away from boomy. I'm leaning towards the 530s right now, but I will probably try and find a way to listen to them both those and the IE7 before I make a decision. My listening styles are just too varied for me to be able to make a good choice without listening to them. My X10s are thankfully still holding together and probably will for at least a month or so yet so there's no rush. Thanks for the help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

The SE530's don't have boomy bass. The bass is tight and deep and very detailed.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 31
Another for the IE series (7 or 8)

Burning in my IE7s now - and while I don't have proper tips yet - these things fire out far more bass than I expected (comparable to my X10s...) - can't even imagine what the IE8s sound like. Similar sound signature too, warm (typical Senn really)

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 31
I will suggest IE7 based on its review and my own experience with IE8. Once burned in, their bass never overpowering. No prominent midbass either compared to my other IEMs. IE8 has smooth mid and good extended high after burn in. I expect IE7 to be the same. I seriously believe IE8 bass the best in current crop of IEM, mainly cuz it's a dynamic.

Try refer to Mark since he owned IE7 and recently has IE8 for testing. Lately he has been quiet after receiving IE8 *hint*

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 31
The only closer to the X10 among all the IEM I have tried, even ultraexpensive ones, is the Sleek SA6 with the bass ++++++ new ports, those have replaceable cables and are even cheaper...the rest are more expensive, but IMO add nothing else to the mix, and some of them sound even worst for my taste, not even multidrivers...

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 31
Sovkiller-
So Sleek has come out with their Bass ++ ports now? I apologize, but I've been a little out of the loop on their recent developments. Are the new ports a big improvement? Again, I apologize if this has been discussed previously (you seem to have experience with it). As a former SA6 owner, I hope that they've made big strides of late, since I have much respect for Jason and their efforts in putting something truly unique out into the market.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #25 of 31
For me, the X10s sound was really warm and smooth. I did get a little bit of the recessed mids everyone was talking about, but somehow I didn't mind it as much as I think I would have minded anemic bass. The bass itself was great- not overpowering and no midbass hump, just punchy and with a little impact. Soundstage was nice-- despite being all squished into you head, I could still pick apart instruments with a surprisng level of separation.

Just for the record, I actually don't mind wearing over-the ear headphones, just as long as they're not painful =P. One of the few problems I did have with my X10s was microphonics while walking, so over the ears might actually be a plus for me.

So I guess I really need to listen to a pair of IE7s before I make a decision =P. I'll probably try and check out the SA6 with bass++ too, because I tried them out against my X10s when I was buying the X10s for the first time, but I only got a chance to try them with a Bass+/Treble+ combo.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sovkiller-
So Sleek has come out with their Bass ++ ports now? I apologize, but I've been a little out of the loop on their recent developments. Are the new ports a big improvement? Again, I apologize if this has been discussed previously (you seem to have experience with it). As a former SA6 owner, I hope that they've made big strides of late, since I have much respect for Jason and their efforts in putting something truly unique out into the market.

Basically they openned the back hole of the port, to the size of one of the filters similar to the ones they use on the front tube, and inserted this filter there, well more or less, without getting into details, which I'm not aware off, they send them to me as courtesy, and let me tell you that the bass is now killer...!!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #28 of 31
I guess when you're in love, you can't help but glow! Ha ha ha.....

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #29 of 31
Having owned the X10's my vote would go for the IE8's with E530's second.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #30 of 31
I'm going to give my plug in for the IE7.
smily_headphones1.gif
Great IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back