Sick of CD and MD -- help me choose an MP3 player!
Jul 30, 2004 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
I've gone from MD (Sony MZ-R900) to CD (Sony D-EJ01) and I've decided I need a HD-based MP3 player. My CDP is great and I love it with the Headroom Total Bithead and Ety ER-4S inside the Headroom AirBag, but the only problem is that I can't stand to lug around and deal with my huge 100-CD holder.

My needs (not in order of importance):
1. Under $300 (give or take a little)
2. True line out
3. Stores at the very least 20GB but preferably at least 40GB
4. Has at least 12 hours true battery life (more is of course better)
5. At the very least will fit within my current Airbag. I would like, however, something which would be easy to put in a portable case (possibly one of Headroom's) so that I could easily see what music I'm playing, menu options, etc
6. Gapless playback is a must
7. Very reliable (don't want to have to ship for repairs from Israel)
8. Easy to manage/use

I don't have much time nowadays to read up on every article and review so I hope you guys will bear with me and help me choose a player. The Nomad NJB3 looks interesting as do the Creative Zen Touch, Rio Karma, and some others, though I have not yet done enough research. Recommendations for bags/cases that will accomodate my Total BitHead will be gladly accepted as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!
etysmile.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 7
If you want true gapless, Rio Karma is the only choice. Although line out is only available through the provided cradle (with two RCA outs).
Karma headphone output is very good, though, and quite powerful.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 7
I too have been searching for a HD-based player and I basically have it narrowed down to 3 players: Apple iPod 20GB (can get 40GB), iRiver iHP-120 (can get 40GB), and the Rio Karma 20GB (no 40GB option). Right now I'm really in favor of the Karma but I'm reserved due to four "problems" such as an "easy" to scratch screen (read that in multiple reviews), no available case made for it (tight with holes for buttons and a clear screen area), no wired remote (so I could stash it in a generic bag), and only a meager 90-day warranty. Those 4 things are fairly important to me right now. The iRiver seems to give the most for your money, but it has some other flaws of it's own (no on-the-fly playlists, etc.) and the iPod is just plain expensive and a bit overpriced. I'm entering college in the fall, so I don't see anything happening soon as I have a RioVolt SP250 (MP3-CD Player) and a Rio S50 already and they seem to do the job, but the RioVolt is fairly bulky and the S50 doesn't hold the amount of music I want (came with 128MB and I added another 128MB SD Card). I'm not going to act fairly soon and I am going to wait for the next gen devices probably as money is really thin right now (or at least it will be in a few weeks). Good luck with your search and be sure to check out Cnet.com and also the Karma/3G iPod review in the Reviews area of Portable Audio.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Personally, the Karma has a few too many complaints and a short warranty to suit me. Hoping this will change and the much anticipated Karma2 will win me over but until then, I'd say the HP120/140 seems to have the inside track for me. If you go with the JB3, check out the Headroom Airbag. It handled my Jukebox and Total Airhead very well. Solid construction and smartly laid out.

Headroom Airbag

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Since here we are talking among informed people, I guess it's worth pointing out that when you get a longer warranty you actually do pay for it. Check the price of a Karma with extended warranty and compare it to others.

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm a big MD fan and decided to get a HD player to complement MD. I bought a 3rd gen iPod because I got sick of waiting for the IHP-120 and Karma to come out. Of course knowing my luck, about 3- 5 months after I bought the Karma came out.

If I were buying today, that would be my choice. True gapless, FLAC support and the longer battery life would do it for me.

Jul 30, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG
I've gone from MD (Sony MZ-R900) to CD (Sony D-EJ01) and I've decided I need a HD-based MP3 player. My CDP is great and I love it with the Headroom Total Bithead and Ety ER-4S inside the Headroom AirBag, but the only problem is that I can't stand to lug around and deal with my huge 100-CD holder.

My needs (not in order of importance):
1. Under $300 (give or take a little)
2. True line out
3. Stores at the very least 20GB but preferably at least 40GB
4. Has at least 12 hours true battery life (more is of course better)
5. At the very least will fit within my current Airbag. I would like, however, something which would be easy to put in a portable case (possibly one of Headroom's) so that I could easily see what music I'm playing, menu options, etc
6. Gapless playback is a must
7. Very reliable (don't want to have to ship for repairs from Israel)
8. Easy to manage/use

I know the NJB3 has gapless playback on one of its older firmware's, the latest firmware doesnt have it. It's a very cheap HD unit, can be found on ebay for $180 refurbished from Creative, many people have been jumping on this deal over at www.taperssection.com and i havent read much of any complaints about it's reliability. It's very easy to manage, features TWO Line outs, firewire, usb, comes in typically 20GB, you get about 22 hrs playback with both batteries (comes with one). The size and weight of the unit: A bit thicker than a discman and a bit heavy with both batteries. I personally carry it in my hand and have no issues with it. Oh, it sounds wonderful too.
wink.gif

I also use firewire since i don't like how usb can be fickle. If you jog over to taperssection and run a search in their recording gear forum, i'm sure you will find a wealth of info on the njb3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back