Sibling Rivalry; The Woo WA2 vs The Woo WA6SE (review posted: update 6-3-2011)
Mar 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #136 of 173
@GHOST. The WA6SE is the more powerful amp. That said, both amps have no problems driving the LCD to their full potential. It's really a subjective decision between the two. I preferred the WA6SE. Others may prefer the WA2. Pick your poison.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #137 of 173

Quote:
WA2 is a safer option with LCD's considering power output.

Quote:
I'm gettin LCD-3's soon so I might get WA2, only because it looks cooler :)
Can you explain to me why WA6SE has 2 components?

Congrats, the LCD-3s are my favourite headphones I've heard to date, but that said, the WA6SE is the better amp for them. My (now sold) WA2, while amazing with my T1s or HD800s, was only "good" with my LCD-2s.  I would strongly recommend that you reconsider. For $1100 and under, from Woo, the WA6SE is the amp to get for the LCD-3.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #138 of 173

Quote:

i'm still confused about the dual design of the WA6SE ??? why no explain to me ??? or is the other component just a power supply or something ???
I might get the WA6SE though but heard that if you connect a low quality headphone to it like a HD650 it might explode, lol

One unit (with the rectifier tube) is the power supply, the second unit with the two tubes is the amp. I would hardly call the HD650s "low quality headphones".

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #139 of 173
Obvious troll is obvious

Quote:
I used to own them, they're not that bad for the price but didn't like them that much. Definitely not the best headcans out there!

May 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #140 of 173
Thanks for the OP and all commets and follow-up - I really enjoyed reading this thread. Really. So, WA6SE is on the shortlist. 

So, what about the WA22? Research continues...

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #141 of 173
wow this thread is still alive. nice!

read through it again, seems thats i've had the same experiences with the WA2 and WA6-SE. awesome amps.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #142 of 173
Head-Fi'rs,

Newbie here lurking this informative thread. I purchased the HD800's a few weeks ago and I'm going to place my order for the Woo WA6-SE.  I listen to everything from rock to classical.

What source and DAC would you suggest to feed the WA6? I have both a Lenovo W700 and Alienware Mx17 running JRiver that I believe are good enough for digital files.  I'm also looking for a good CD transport and a non ipod portable.  Maybe the Red Wine Kern modded portable?

Budget is;
$1200 for the DAC
$1000 portable player
$1000 CD transport
$800 cables

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.   Hoping to see/meet some of you at the NY Show in April.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #143 of 173
@ Joe

The HD800 and the WA6SE is a really great combo in my opinion. I hope you enjoy it.

As for a source and DAC? IMHO I would concentrate on the DAC and if you want a transport, get a quality CD player as the transport and use it through your DAC. To be frank, you're not really going to get a better transport for $500 (from like Marantz) than you would for $1000. The differences are in the DACs and features. If you have an external DAC, the chipset the CD player uses really isn't all that important.

I do not have personal experience with these, but if I were getting a new DAC today it would be either the Rega or Musical Fidelity DACs. They're quite versatile, are asynchronous USB inputs and should make your transport into a high quality player combo.

I don't have any opinions on a portable player. I use an iPod.

I believe you can half your budget on cables and ICs. It's a controversial topic but I think as long as you're getting cables that are quality, you really aren't getting that much better sound quality for the buck the more you spend.

I think the headphones, amp and DAC will be the three components that have the largest impact on sound quality. You already have a great headphone, will be getting a great sounding amp and if you get any of the two DACs I suggested, you'll have an outstanding rig.

With the money saved you can roll some tubes and buy new music. Good luck.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #144 of 173
Quote:
Head-Fi'rs,

Newbie here lurking this informative thread. I purchased the HD800's a few weeks ago and I'm going to place my order for the Woo WA6-SE.  I listen to everything from rock to classical.

What source and DAC would you suggest to feed the WA6? I have both a Lenovo W700 and Alienware Mx17 running JRiver that I believe are good enough for digital files.  I'm also looking for a good CD transport and a non ipod portable.  Maybe the Red Wine Kern modded portable?

Budget is;
$1200 for the DAC
$1000 portable player
$1000 CD transport
$800 cables

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.   Hoping to see/meet some of you at the NY Show in April.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I recently sold my WA6-SE but I had it for about a year and was driving it with my Woo DAC and Woo CD transport.  both of them are just fantastic pieces, both visually and audibly.   I also have the HD800 that I used with this combination. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #145 of 173
Quote:
@ Joe

The HD800 and the WA6SE is a really great combo in my opinion. I hope you enjoy it.

As for a source and DAC? IMHO I would concentrate on the DAC and if you want a transport, get a quality CD player as the transport and use it through your DAC. To be frank, you're not really going to get a better transport for $500 (from like Marantz) than you would for $1000. The differences are in the DACs and features. If you have an external DAC, the chipset the CD player uses really isn't all that important.

I do not have personal experience with these, but if I were getting a new DAC today it would be either the Rega or Musical Fidelity DACs. They're quite versatile, are asynchronous USB inputs and should make your transport into a high quality player combo.

I don't have any opinions on a portable player. I use an iPod.

I believe you can half your budget on cables and ICs. It's a controversial topic but I think as long as you're getting cables that are quality, you really aren't getting that much better sound quality for the buck the more you spend.

I think the headphones, amp and DAC will be the three components that have the largest impact on sound quality. You already have a great headphone, will be getting a great sounding amp and if you get any of the two DACs I suggested, you'll have an outstanding rig.

Welcome back buddy! 
size]

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #146 of 173
Quote:
baka1969 said:
I do not have personal experience with these, but if I were getting a new DAC today it would be either the Rega or Musical Fidelity DACs. They're quite versatile, are asynchronous USB inputs and should make your transport into a high quality player combo

+1 
also upgrading from the stock rectifier on the WA6-SE is basically a must

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #147 of 173
Thanks for all of your feedback.

I will spring for the hat trick
darthsmile.gif
 and order the WA6-SE, WDS-1, WTP-1.  They sure look impressive and I bet they will sound even better with my HD800's.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Thanks,

Joe

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #149 of 173
If I already have a good SS amp (Oppo HA-1) and want a traditional Tube sound which one should I go for?

WA6-SE or WA2.

I have the Senny HD-700 and Audeze LCD-3.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #150 of 173
  If I already have a good SS amp (Oppo HA-1) and want a traditional Tube sound which one should I go for?

WA6-SE or WA2.

I have the Senny HD-700 and Audeze LCD-3.

For the "tubey" sound, the WA2, but here's the problem...with your HD-700s, I'd recommend the WA2 BUT for your LCD-3s, I'd go with the WA6LE. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back