Sibling Rivalry; The Woo WA2 vs The Woo WA6SE (review posted: update 6-3-2011)
Jun 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #61 of 173
Quote:Originally Posted by sampson_smith 

"Great idea, sphinxvc! I will certainly try to do that. The WA6 w/PDPS is the current stock model, as is the WA6SE. So both fairly equipped to make some meaningful comparisons. Looking forward to hearing the HE500 and the WA6SE!"

Dear Vince and Prashant,

The WA6SE and HE500 are great together.

That is all.

:)

The one thing I really like is the versatility of the HE500 with amps. It still takes more juice than the HD800 but is so much easier than the HE6 or HE5LE.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #62 of 173
Quote:
Great idea, sphinxvc! I will certainly try to do that. The WA6 w/PDPS is the current stock model, as is the WA6SE. So both fairly equipped to make some meaningful comparisons. Looking forward to hearing the HE500 and the WA6SE!

Nice thanks.  I'm especially curious about the WA6 and how well it might power the HE-500s so if you could comment on volume pot position, dynamics, headroom, all that good stuff, that would be priceless.  

Ok, not exactly priceless, difference of about $300-400 between those two amps.  
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #63 of 173
Quote:
Dear Vince and Prashant,

The WA6SE and HE500 are great together.

That is all.

:)

The one thing I really like is the versatility of the HE500 with amps. It still takes more juice than the HD800 but is so much easier than the HE6 or HE5LE.

Ross, I have a feeling I know which headphone you're going to be keeping after the HD800, HE-500 shootout, especially since the Beta is your only amp now.  

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #64 of 173
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

Quote:
"Ross, I have a feeling I know which headphone you're going to be keeping after the HD800, HE-500 shootout, especially since the Beta is your only amp now."

No! Please don't tell me. I want to be surprised. lol

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #66 of 173
Yes the eagles are going to rule this season.
One thing i dont know if any has mentioned, since you tested both amps with stocked tubes, the 6SE should top the 2. But the 2 being OTL relies on its tubes to reach full potential. So the 6SE has a higher floor but the 2 has a higher ceiling. I had both and i felt that the 6SE with the best tubes isnt as great as the 2 with the best tubes. But thats just IMHO. Great review and thanks.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #67 of 173
Yes the eagles are going to rule this season.
One thing i dont know if any has mentioned, since you tested both amps with stocked tubes, the 6SE should top the 2. But the 2 being OTL relies on its tubes to reach full potential. So the 6SE has a higher floor but the 2 has a higher ceiling. I had both and i felt that the 6SE with the best tubes isnt as great as the 2 with the best tubes. But thats just IMHO. Great review and thanks.

Thanks. I don't disagree. There is, however, still a subjective part to it. The OTL vs transformer coupled debate isn't a cut and dry one. Plus there are so many tube combinations for both that it still makes it difficult. In the end I didn't have a choice but to use the stock tubes as a baseline.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #72 of 173
Did you own both amps and then sell them both?  Your profile lists them as "Past".  

I sold the WA6SE. The WA2 was a long term loan. Because I spend a good deal of time with it I added it to my "past". The WA2 and the LCD2 are the only items I didn't actually own. They're there as a reference so Head-Fi'ers can know I spent a good deal of time with them and when I speak of them they'll also know it's been in my system first hand, in my home over a period of time. I will, however, make a notation to that effect for clarification.

EDIT: notation added in my profile for clarification

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #74 of 173
so should i go for WA6 SE? I mostly listen to trance and classic tunes.What do you think?

Hi Garen,

I got your PM but will answer here so maybe if anyone else has the same question they'll get to read it. That said, I still think it's a matter of preference. If you already like the HD800 for your genre of music then you can decide what you prefer. Do you want the prototypical tube amp sound that's lush and laid back? The WA2 is probably the way to go. Do you want a taste and allure of tubes but also still want what some of the solid state has to offer? Then the WA6SE could be the choice.

I personally liked the WA6SE with the HD800 better. By a good margin. There are many that think the WA2 is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back