Sibling Rivalry; The Woo WA2 vs The Woo WA6SE (review posted: update 6-3-2011)
Jun 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #49 of 173
For someone who constantly portrays himself as "more of a SS guy," you sure write an excellent tube amp review, Ross!
beerchug.gif
  Nicely done.

To your later addition re: the LCD-2/WA2 pairing, IMO tube rolling is absolutely essential to make the combination really work together. I know you did your comparison with the stock tubes for both amps, but IMO the stock tubes for the WA2 are a real liability with the more power-hungry cans out there. Roll in some 7236s (either TS or Sylvania -- I prefer the latter) and the LCD-2 really wake up.

Again, great work.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 173
Just a question out of curiosity.    Is there anyone that has heard the WA2, WA22, WA6 prefer any of them to the WA5?

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #53 of 173
I would love to have that opportunity...but unfortunately I only heard the lowly WA6
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #55 of 173
Quote:Originally Posted by jeust0999 

"If I may ask...what led to the decision to sell the WA6 se?
(please let me know if you want me to delete this post or prefer a pm)"

To buy the HE500. :)

Head-Fi strikes again! lol

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #58 of 173
Glad to have a chance to hear (some of) what Ross has been hearing. I love my WA6, but the need to upgrade has hit me with humerous vengeance. Hopefully the Canadian HE-500 loaner reaches me at the same time as the amp. Then I will post my impressions on how the Woo powers this rather efficient orthoplanar vs. my trusty HD600's and DT880's. Should be fairly interesting reading listening!

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #59 of 173
Quote:
Glad to have a chance to hear (some of) what Ross has been hearing. I love my WA6, but the need to upgrade has hit me with humerous vengeance. Hopefully the Canadian HE-500 loaner reaches me at the same time as the amp. Then I will post my impressions on how the Woo powers this rather efficient orthoplanar vs. my trusty HD600's and DT880's. Should be fairly interesting reading listening!

If you're able to hold on the WA6 till then please do post comparison impressions as well (WA6 v. 6SE).  That ought to give us a good idea of how well it (the HE-500) scales.  

Is your WA6 stock by the way?  Or maxxed?  

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #60 of 173
Great idea, sphinxvc! I will certainly try to do that. The WA6 w/PDPS is the current stock model, as is the WA6SE. So both fairly equipped to make some meaningful comparisons. Looking forward to hearing the HE500 and the WA6SE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back