Sibling Rivalry; The Woo WA2 vs The Woo WA6SE (review posted: update 6-3-2011)
May 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #33 of 173

Helpful reply. Thankyou. I started this headphone setup journey with the WA2/T1 and it sounds great. Heard about the LCD-2 and tried it. For whatever reason it doesn't match well with my WA2, distorting by about 10:30 - 11:00 on the volume knob, regardless of tubes and with cable changed on the LCD-2. Very disappointing. Ordered a Lyr and while waiting for backorder found a Violectric V200 on Audiogon and the LCD-2 sounds terrific with both. While having a few amps is entertaining I'd really just like to have one amp that might match nicely with both LCD-2 and T1. Maybe the WA6SE is the answer.
I apologize if this considered hijacking the thread.

Quote:
I love my T1/Woo6se combination, sounds excellent to me.
As you already have the W2 I would say the 6se would give you a faster more detailed and precise sound, possibly not as smooth or full bodied and the W2 would be more laid back.

Which you prefer would probably be dictated as to what you listen to.

May 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #34 of 173
I'll have the LCD2 by Thursday or Friday. I'll spend a couple of days with it and the two Woos and report my findings on the original review post. Thanks everyone.

Peace,

Ross

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #35 of 173
The LCD2 is in da house! I'll listen to them with the WA2 and WA6SE through the weekend and post my impressions in the original review thread probably by Monday. Right now I've gone back and forth with "So What". It's not volume matched so I won't post anything yet. I'll do all the proper matching and run the LCD2 and amps through my battery of tests over the next few days. It should be fun.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #38 of 173

Quote:
How do you volume match the amps if I may ask?

I use a Krap Shack SPL meter. I have a round piece of cardboard to act as a seal that has a cutout in the middle just big enough to stick in the probe. I use a rubberband at the base of the probe so the probe is sticking out .5" of the inside of the back of the cardboard. I set it up to get a good seal. then I adjust the volume to the desired level. Then I leave it as is and switch amps and volume match.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7b/7bee47ee_IMG-20110602-00082.jpg 

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #41 of 173
Quote:Originally Posted by realmassy 

"Is that your usually listening level (around 81db)? I can't pass 70db :-OWhat do you use to match the level? Pink noise?"

I recently have been dropping my usual listening levels from 85db to 81db to now 75 db. For testing though I use 81db. I use pink noise to volume match. I let it idle for 30 seconds to make sure the volume doesn't fluctuate. It shouldn't, but I just want to be certain.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #43 of 173
UPDATE:

I'll post this in the original review post later. I just wanted to post my impressions of the two Woo amps and the LCD2 here for now. I'll update the review when I have the time.

I have borrowed the LCD2 from a fellow Head-Fi'er and have spent a little bit of time listening to it with both the WA2 and WA6SE. I won't write a full blown review because the overall character of the two amps still is valid. What I'll attemp to do is just go over some points that are specific to the LCD2.

The one thing I noticed was the difference in sounstage. The LCD2 isn't know for it's vast soundstage. It does, however, improve with better amping as I've experiences with all my experiences with the Audeze. as I've mentioned before the WA6SE has wider staging than it's brother the WA2. This doesn't change with the LCD2. That said, the WA2 doesn't sound like it has poor staging powering the LCD2. I've heard the LCD2 under powered before and the soundstage collapses. This is not the case with the WA2. It just isn't as expansive as the WA6SE. The imaging is still excellent with both amps.

I think the LCD2 is a pretty laid back headphone. I think when it's coupled with the already relaxed OTL WA2 it comes across as a bit too relaxed. The music just seems to loose a good deal of definition. I won't say the WA2/LCD2 pairing is sluggish and there may be some out there that like how relaxed it is. But, to me, it's too smoothed over. Attacks and transients are very well blended together.

With the WA6SE sounds like it has more defined notes with the Audeze. I actually think if you like an analog sound this is not a compromise.

Another area that I wanted to point out is the volcals coming from the WA2 when the LCD2 is plugged in are down right sweet and sultry. The LCD2 volcals are already well known and the WA2 really plays this aspect up. What you lose in ultimate texture with the WA2 makes up for the pure sexiness of the vocals.

That said, I think the WA6SE gives a more balanced and, perhaps, realistic presentation of singing. There is more texture and it doesn't exaggerate the strength of the LCD2.

I think the WA2 and LCD2 combination is more like a charicature of what an analogue and tube setup sounds like. I will freely admit though that I, for one, don't have NEARLY the experience with tubes and tube setups as other Head-Fi'ers. Also, I have voluntarily admitted that I prefer a more solid state sound. Having said that, I think the WA6SE takes the strengths of the LCD2 and compliments them well. I think it adds structure where the WA2 is more relaxed with the LCD2. I think the WA6 add needed energy where the WA2 is soft. Yes the treble is extremely smooth with the the two 2s together (try saying that three times fast). But I think the WA6SE is just as refined with more power up top. Another strength of the LCD2 is it's bass and the WA6SE's bass is more impactful while not overpowering. The WA2 is a bit more, dare I say it again, relaxed.

I hate to make a direct judgement with the LCD2 and amp choice. In my main article I tried to remain as objective as I could without being overt. This time I just feel the WA6SE is a better choice for the LCD2 vs the WA2.

This isn't hate for the WA2. I think the HE500 is an excellent match for it and the HD800 is a great choice with both amps. So there is no bias shown against the WA2. I just feel the LCD2 isn't the optimal match. If you want all of the strengths of the LCD2 and want a tube amp I believe the WA6SE is a terrific choice.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #45 of 173

Quote:
UPDATE:

I'll post this in the original review post later. I just wanted to post my impressions of the two Woo amps and the LCD2 here for now. I'll update the review when I have the time.

I have borrowed the LCD2 from a fellow Head-Fi'er and have spent a little bit of time listening to it with both the WA2 and WA6SE. I won't write a full blown review because the overall character of the two amps still is valid. What I'll attemp to do is just go over some points that are specific to the LCD2.

The one thing I noticed was the difference in sounstage. The LCD2 isn't know for it's vast soundstage. It does, however, improve with better amping as I've experiences with all my experiences with the Audeze. as I've mentioned before the WA6SE has wider staging than it's brother the WA2. This doesn't change with the LCD2. That said, the WA2 doesn't sound like it has poor staging powering the LCD2. I've heard the LCD2 under powered before and the soundstage collapses. This is not the case with the WA2. It just isn't as expansive as the WA6SE. The imaging is still excellent with both amps.

I think the LCD2 is a pretty laid back headphone. I think when it's coupled with the already relaxed OTL WA2 it comes across as a bit too relaxed. The music just seems to loose a good deal of definition. I won't say the WA2/LCD2 pairing is sluggish and there may be some out there that like how relaxed it is. But, to me, it's too smoothed over. Attacks and transients are very well blended together.

With the WA6SE sounds like it has more defined notes with the Audeze. I actually think if you like an analog sound this is not a compromise.

Another area that I wanted to point out is the volcals coming from the WA2 when the LCD2 is plugged in are down right sweet and sultry. The LCD2 volcals are already well known and the WA2 really plays this aspect up. What you lose in ultimate texture with the WA2 makes up for the pure sexiness of the vocals.

That said, I think the WA6SE gives a more balanced and, perhaps, realistic presentation of singing. There is more texture and it doesn't exaggerate the strength of the LCD2.

I think the WA2 and LCD2 combination is more like a charicature of what an analogue and tube setup sounds like. I will freely admit though that I, for one, don't have NEARLY the experience with tubes and tube setups as other Head-Fi'ers. Also, I have voluntarily admitted that I prefer a more solid state sound. Having said that, I think the WA6SE takes the strengths of the LCD2 and compliments them well. I think it adds structure where the WA2 is more relaxed with the LCD2. I think the WA6 add needed energy where the WA2 is soft. Yes the treble is extremely smooth with the the two 2s together (try saying that three times fast). But I think the WA6SE is just as refined with more power up top. Another strength of the LCD2 is it's bass and the WA6SE's bass is more impactful while not overpowering. The WA2 is a bit more, dare I say it again, relaxed.

I hate to make a direct judgement with the LCD2 and amp choice. In my main article I tried to remain as objective as I could without being overt. This time I just feel the WA6SE is a better choice for the LCD2 vs the WA2.

This isn't hate for the WA2. I think the HE500 is an excellent match for it and the HD800 is a great choice with both amps. So there is no bias shown against the WA2. I just feel the LCD2 isn't the optimal match. If you want all of the strengths of the LCD2 and want a tube amp I believe the WA6SE is a terrific choice.

Just confirms I made the right choice. Your opinion seems spot on to me! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back