sibilance ???
Apr 3, 2002 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Ken

100+ Head-Fier
I have seen this word to describe how something sounds.
rolleyes.gif

Can someeone tell me what sibilance means

Apr 3, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 27
Try saying the word 'sibilance' in a harsh whisper.

The kind of sound you hear, amplified, present in excessive amounts in recordings, is the sound artifact known as 'sibilance'.
cool.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 3, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 27
The frequency spectrum for sibilance is also centered on the resonance frequency of your ear canal, which is 6.5 kHz. So we're "built" with sensitivity to sibilance.

One result is different reactions (based in part on anatomy) to cans that emphasize this range, or are peaky there, such as the Sony MDR-V6.

Apr 3, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 27
sib·i·lant Pronunciation Key (sb-lnt)
adj.
Of, characterized by, or producing a hissing sound; things Grado cartridges cannot track.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 27
Alright, I'll bump this instead of starting a new one.

Excuse my ignorance but I never understood or experienced sibilance before. I know it's the shh sound but I want to hear it(would I be able to hear it? my hearing cuts off at about 18khz)

Can anybody suggest a couple tracks that has really bad sibilance? I don't have the rest of my phones with me, but out of the RE0 and the HD 600, which has worse sibilance problem?

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 27
ssssssssssssssssiblence.

(edit) RE-0 probably, it's supposed to be bright... but I mean, it's fairly jarring when you hear it, if you don't hear it or it doesn't bother you don't sweat it. You're lucky!
(edit2) Holy crap! 8 year bump. Biggest I've seen in a while.

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 27
wow.  holy thread brought back from the dead.

you should still be able to hear sibilance.  it's between 6khz and 10khz, i think.

here's a test track i use:

"don't look down" by lindsey buckingham.  when he sings "diamonds in the sunset", every S can sound harsh, depending on your set-up.  with a treble-hot system, you will just about rip your headphones off.
but, with a more laid-back treble system, the S sounds are nice and soft.

also, some singers are more prone to sibilance than others.  diana krall and richard thompson can create some pretty hard S's.  hahaha. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
wow.  holy thread brought back from the dead.

you should still be able to hear sibilance.  it's between 6khz and 10khz, i think.

here's a test track i use:

"don't look down" by lindsey buckingham.  when he sings "diamonds in the sunset", every S can sound harsh, depending on your set-up.  with a treble-hot system, you will just about rip your headphones off.
but, with a more laid-back treble system, the S sounds are nice and soft.

also, some singers are more prone to sibilance than others.  diana krall and richard thompson can create some pretty hard S's.  hahaha. 

The S do stand out but it didn't bother me too much on the HD600, but is it just me or does the percussion sounds weird and the whole song sounds unnatural...

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 27
Anyone hearing "shhhhhhhup!" in the beginning vocals of "Let it Grow" in Clapton's "Complete Clapton" ?I think it's the only song i feel so-called sibilance.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 27
Chris Martin's vocals (the band Coldplay) suffers from sibilance. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Buy a HD800 or maybe even a D7000 stock. Every S you hear will bother you to no end.

I'll stick with cheaper gears that 1)My gear can drive okay and 2)don't bother me

dt880smile.png

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Anyone hearing "shhhhhhhup!" in the beginning vocals of "Let it Grow" in Clapton's "Complete Clapton" ?I think it's the only song i feel so-called sibilance.

I have the version on crossroads(the 4 disc compilation), and there was a breathing sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back