Sibilance?
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #32 of 42
The real solution is: stop listening to sibilance.

:wink:

No really, it works.
My favorite song is the sibilance song. It’s a song where all you hear the entire song is sibilance!

In all seriousness, I do hope eventually I’ll be able to completely ignore it but still when it comes in I notice it right away. It puts itself above the rest of the audio on those tracks where it’s bad. A lot of people don’t seem to mind it, and it’s not painful, my attention just goes right to it when I hear it. Could be my brain automatically trying to seek it out.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #33 of 42
It's a frequency response spike in your headphones. You can correct it with EQ or get different headphones.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #35 of 42
It's a frequency response spike in your headphones. You can correct it with EQ or get different headphones.
No, I know that. And I know it'll always be there. But I know over time people's ears can adjust to the point where they aren't bothered by something as much. In fact today I was listening a lot and I noticed I wasn't bothered as much by it somehow. I find that the longer I listen in a given amount of time the less I'm bothered of it. So in some more time I'll either say "ok I can totally deal with it now" or I'll start to EQ or succumb to getting a new headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #36 of 42
I can't get used to clearly audible spikes in response. Especially if it's in a range where it can cause listening fatigue. I have the flattest, most full range transducers I can afford, then I do the final tweak with EQ. That is how you solve the problem. It won't go away on its own.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #37 of 42
I can't get used to clearly audible spikes in response. Especially if it's in a range where it can cause listening fatigue. I have the flattest, most full range transducers I can afford, then I do the final tweak with EQ. That is how you solve the problem. It won't go away on its own.
That's understood, and I know some can take it differently than others. Some have the most sibilant headphones and don't mind it at all, others get incredibly fatigues from it. I'm fortunate enough to say it doesn't fatigue me, but yes, it's somewhat annoying.

At first I couldn't understand how a manufacturer would put a spike like that in their headphones but upon further reading it's done to increase the level of detail, and the negative affect is of course the sibilance.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #38 of 42
I think the people that put up with it just can't afford to go backwards and scrap their cans. They tolerate it until they have enough money to buy better ones. Certain stuff is goosed because young buyers don't have their priorities set yet. It sounds sparkly and bright in the store... or boomy and thick bass. That impresses some people. Experience and discernment makes you appreciate balance.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #39 of 42
if EQ can't help, a local compressor (de-esser) would probably do the job. probably a mix of both would give the best results. of course that means using a computer, or changing the files before uploading them onto a basic DAP. which can be a lot of work.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #40 of 42
My favorite song is the sibilance song. It’s a song where all you hear the entire song is sibilance!

In all seriousness, I do hope eventually I’ll be able to completely ignore it but still when it comes in I notice it right away. It puts itself above the rest of the audio on those tracks where it’s bad. A lot of people don’t seem to mind it, and it’s not painful, my attention just goes right to it when I hear it. Could be my brain automatically trying to seek it out.

Ok. Try to find another recording problem then, in your tracks.

The "p". A "p" is very loud compared to other letters. Try to find "p"s and listen if they sound "off".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back