Sibilance?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by bcaulf17, Apr 18, 2018.
Page 1 of 3
2 3
Next

Last
  1. bcaulf17
    Hi!

I got DT 770 Pro 32 ohms about a month ago. They sound great! Pretty dang bright out of the box, I was actually thinking about selling them, but it seems to have gotten much better. I actually like the treble. I feel these have a nice balanced sound, even though they’re v shaped it all comes together. Maybe a LITTLE bright leaning but not much, pretty neural sounding overall just extended. I’m digging them more each day.

My one negative though, with these headphones, is I feel they are too sibilant. Not painful to me or anything and it’s not in every song, only where there’s already sibilance but these phones exacerbate it I think and it does sound quite present. I know they have a 10k peak.

But the thing is, the only other headphone I’ve had was the M50x which are dark and boomy and muddy, and tracks with a lot of sibilance you could still hear it a little but not nearly as much, but that could’ve been a result of the mid bass masking it. How do I really know how much sibilance there should be when considering the mastering and the recording? Like compared to a neutral can, or other cans in general? How do I know how much sibilance is too much, and how much is accurate?

The DT 990 I heard has pretty dangerous treble and sibilance.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. colonelkernel8
    Maybe try an EQ and cut that 10k peak down a bit!

3. bigshot
    There are a few ways... check out the measurements and see what is off the curve, compare them to headphones that are known to be neutral, or listen to well recorded acoustic music (chamber music, orchestral, jazz, etc) and see if the instruments sound natural. Once you have an idea of where your cans are out of line, try making corrections using an equalizer and see if the sound improves. Decent headphones should be able to be EQed into neutral if you want.

4. bcaulf17
    One thing I read is the 770 Pro is indeed easy to equalize. I’m one of those who doesn’t really like to use them, preferring the sound that the headphones are supposed to sound, but maybe that’ll change. I was searching for an iPhone app that worked as an equalizer and it would automatically run off the phone, all the EQ apps have music players and you have to use them. I think.

I also wonder if buying an amp with a slightly warm signature would mask the peaks a little. Not get rid of it, but make it a little less noticeable I guess.

I also read a lot of closed back headphones have a peak in that region because it’s an area that tends to get drowned out by other frequencies so they bump it so you can hear the details. And the bigger the peak, the more details, which is nice, but also more sibilance, not so nice!

5. bigshot
    The problem with using one imbalance to cancel out another is that you have no control on the precise frequency band and degree. EQ is the tool created specifically for that purpose. My headphones are within a dB or two of perfect, so I don't have to EQ my portable stuff. But I still use a third party player. It's just more convenient. I can use the same library for the third party portable player with my iTunes library at home.

colonelkernel8 and bcaulf17 like this.
  6. ev13wt
    EQ it away. I agree the DT770 32 Ohm is a bit bright. My MMX300 with 600ohm is not quite as bright. Otherwise - exactly the same.

I do this:

[​IMG]

7. bcaulf17
    Thanks! So I would just dip around 10k just a bit?

ev13wt likes this.
  8. bcaulf17
    Is there any particular 3rd party player app you recommend? Might be worth it for me to at least check it out.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. ev13wt
  10. ev13wt
    Oh, and this might help in your EQing adventures!

[​IMG]

bcaulf17 likes this.
  11. bcaulf17
    That chart really helps, thank you. I futzed around with the standard iTunes EQ, bringing 8k down about 5 db and I like this because it doesn't remove the sibilance completely but it takes the edge off, calms the overall treble down a touch too and makes the mid bass a bit more prominent, and I feel like I'm not losing too much treble detail. Snares take a small hit and lose a tiny bit of the snap I like but with this setting, I can turn the volume up more without the sibilance being too much, so perhaps I will start using it. Only took a small adjustment :)

I did find that some higher pitched sibilances could be fixed by bringing down 16k but this did in fact take some of the air and crispness out of the treble so I think I'll leave that alone.

Gladly I discovered you can apply the custom EQ setting to every song in your library and doing that will sync it to your iPod. Only downside is that everything I listen on will have the same EQ. Shouldn't be a huge problem I hope. I only use earbuds at the gym, my car stereo and my sound bar on rare occasions.

EDIT: Darn, I found out that doing this doesn't actually work I guess. That sucks, what's the point of even having the option then? :frowning2:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    ev13wt likes this.
  12. bigshot
    The iTunes equalizer has a ton of spill between bands. It's almost a tone control, not an equalizer.

13. bcaulf17
    Yeah, I can kinda get the sense. It did work for me, though. Bringing down 8k a little reduced the sibilance and brittleness just the right amount for me. I don’t mind sibilance really but on these, and on specific songs, it kinda cuts through the rest of the music. I wouldn’t call it painful but it’s a little annoying. The equivalent of what I did, to put it in an analogy, was like dulling a knife.

Maybe an amp would be an answer? Like a Fiio A3? This would just diminish the aspect of portability even more for me. Last ditch would be a different headphone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. bigshot
    A better digital equalizer would be the answer.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  15. Glmoneydawg
    Yep cant imagine an amp changing things unless it has some symbiotic frequency anomaly....fixing 1 problem with another doesn't seem like a good idea

Page 1 of 3
2 3
Next

Last