Sibilance check, check check one two, sibilance...
Dec 1, 2008 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
What are your favorite (or unfavorite, as the case may be) songs for checking sibilance/treble harshness?

I was comparing amplifiers and noticed I don't really have a killer track or two for sibilance - any suggestions?

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 28
Great thread!

I love my GS1000's but the sibilance kills me. I have been amp hunting for quite a while to see if I can solve the problem that way and the first track on my demo CD is Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby." Great, fun tune but it is rather sibilant with most headphones and it is like getting dental work done on your ear drum with the GS1000.

I keep beating the D7000 drum and risk coming off as an obsessed fanboy, but this is another place where I am supremely impressed with this can. You can still tell that the track is problematic in the highs but the D7000 handles it extremely well. The song sounds poorly recorded, not painful.

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 28
Caesar's Palace - "Jerk it out" from the album called 39 minutes of bliss. Lots of cymbals (drum machine?) and a wicked synth hook. Try it with your Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby."...

First of all, I don't know how I didn't know this was a Donna Summer song (I thought it was a Bronski Beat original -
confused.gif
). This made me get every single version of the song and listen to them back to back. Addiction.....

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 28
Out Of Time by REM is quite sibilant. I always pick the first two songs to find out how cans handle sibilance.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joy division's unknown pleasures for me. In particular, New dawn fades and shadowplay seem to have tons of sibilance in badly matched amp/headphones. IMO of course.

Check out the Moby cover of new dawn fades - It's not particularly sibilant but a nice cover if you like Moby's punkier stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I've rediscovered that the song The Bad Touch by The Bloodhound Gang, off Hooray For Boobies, can be sibilant, particularly the brass hits in the chorus.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 28
I found the track "stop this train" by John Mayer to very sibilant can someone confirm?

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joy division's unknown pleasures for me. In particular, New dawn fades and shadowplay seem to have tons of sibilance in badly matched amp/headphones. IMO of course.

Good choice! I just bought the Heart & Soul box set from Amazon a while ago. My JD collection is now complete!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, Nocturnal310, it just dawned to me that you're on notebookreview as well, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back