Shures dying, help me pick a replacement iem please.
Sep 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

idkalf

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm very new to this site, but i have been on here several times before to look @ some info, and i would like to request for all of your help, thank you very much.

Ok, so this is how the story goes, I use the Shure E4C (SCL4) and its way on its way to its death and its past the warrenty not only that, i dont even know where my box is. so now I've come to a dilemma, I want to find a pair of in-ears thats as nice as the E4C but at the same time, I do not have the money to purchase such an expensive in-ear currently.

I listen to ALL types of music, from classical to trance/techno to hip hop, R&B, t

Price range is $0-200/250

So I'm asking whether i should get a:
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4
Etymotic has also been considered but i don't know which one

I'm up for OTHER suggestions to which ones i should get too

Thx in advance everyone!!

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 11
Since you're looking at UE's and your budget seems to allow, you could consider the TripleFi. Like you, I listen to a large variety of music from classical to hip-hop. I had the Shure SE530 and while it has awesome bass for hip-hop etc, the TripleFi walks all over it for classical music. Overall I think the TripleFi handles different types of music very well.

Oh and I'd stay away from Etymotic...the bass will probably be insufficient for hip-hop, R&B, trance, techno etc.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 11
Consider the RE0.I did,you won't be disapointed.i came from Shure E5's.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 11
The Triple-Fi's are an EXCELLENT set of IEMs if you can afford them. I had them and was very pleased with their sound as well as the variety of music that they cover well (basically everything). The only thing to be aware of is that the fit isn't for everyone. Some people have a hard time getting a proper seal and find the bulky monitors somewhat annoying to deal with. There are mods that make this easier but don't be left in the dark. Try doing some research on the forums in regards to these issues. If you can get the proper fit, though, the Triple.Fi's may be your best bet. They really sound fantastic.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Shure SE420(overall neautral and detailed mids), Klipsch Custom 3(warm and rich sounding), IE7(great bass, rich mids and big soundstage), FX500( big deep bass, extended highs, clear mids and huge soundstage) and C710 (overall clear mids, clean extended highs with deep rich big bass).

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 11
have you considered second hand IE8s? (just saw a pair go for $210 shipped on the sales page, wish i was in US... so much cheaper...) they sound great to my ears (quiet a bit better then the shure E500s they sound cloudy)
also the IE8s uses a different driver as apposed to other same level IEMs so i think they're worth a try... i find them a bit more laid back then then E500s...
i also have the superfi 5vis (not sure how they compare to the pros) they are good for their price range (i think i got them for just over 100US new) but i wouldn't choose them if you have a higher budget i would say go for second hands that are the same level as the se530s/IE8s quiet a bit of difference
i also have the ER4p.. they sound very boring to my ears...
i would prefer second hand better sounding iem as opposed to new not as good sounding ones... just make sure you change the tips and clean he earphones and they should be as good as new...

ps my tastes for iems are details and soundstage

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Thank you to everyone that has replied, and i will continue to consider all your opinions thank you very much in advance!

triple.fi's are out of the question i would think, cuz currently i do not have the cash to purchase them, and it kills me a little inside.

I have a question to all the UE fans out there, is there a big difference between the super fi 5 pro to the normal 5, and where could i purchase UE iems that would ship to canada, or possibly purchase them in canada

also i will check out more iems and consider. thank you to all!!!

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you're looking at UE's and your budget seems to allow, you could consider the TripleFi. Like you, I listen to a large variety of music from classical to hip-hop. I had the Shure SE530 and while it has awesome bass for hip-hop etc, the TripleFi walks all over it for classical music. Overall I think the TripleFi handles different types of music very well.

Oh and I'd stay away from Etymotic...the bass will probably be insufficient for hip-hop, R&B, trance, techno etc.

Where would i find a pair of triple fi's that my budget allows?

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by idkalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where would i find a pair of triple fi's that my budget allows?

try the trade forums
the normal 5s will probably not be as good as the pros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back