Shure SRH840 vs Philips Citiscape Uptown
May 22, 2012 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SCDavidKim

New Head-Fier
Hello there everybody! I am new to the forum and I am looking for a new around ear headphones that i can use on public transport and long bus trips. I have no external amps, just my ipod and some classical rock and some She and Him. My two options that i found were the Shure SRH840 and the Philips Citiscape uptown. If found out about these on Headphone Mecca and have liked the look and the reviews on them so far. I would prefer to have as little leak as possible and good isolation. I do not need thumping bass, just some nice headphones to listen to mainly all kinds of music and watch movies with. Which would be a good option? Thank you very much

May 22, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
Hello there everybody! I am new to the forum and I am looking for a new around ear headphones that i can use on public transport and long bus trips. I have no external amps, just my ipod and some classical rock and some She and Him. My two options that i found were the Shure SRH840 and the Philips Citiscape uptown. If found out about these on Headphone Mecca and have liked the look and the reviews on them so far. I would prefer to have as little leak as possible and good isolation. I do not need thumping bass, just some nice headphones to listen to mainly all kinds of music and watch movies with. Which would be a good option? Thank you very much

Heya,

Both would be fine for your needs. Maybe try the new Uptown and see what you think and tell us more about your experience with it. It's a sleek looking headphone. Reviews are positive so far. Just not a lot of really in depth reviews yet from critical audiophiles that I'm aware of yet.

Alternatives for isolation: AKG K550, Brainwavz HM5 and Beyer DT770 PRO.

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 19
Thank you very much for your response! The Uptowns do look very nice. About the DT770 though. I know that they sound very good (maybe even better than both of my options) but i heard that they are not very good for portable use or at least, without an amp. Is this true? I really don't mind the questionable aesthetics of the pair.

May 22, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Thank you very much for your response! The Uptowns do look very nice. About the DT770 though. I know that they sound very good (maybe even better than both of my options) but i heard that they are not very good for portable use or at least, without an amp. Is this true? I really don't mind the questionable aesthetics of the pair.

Heya,

The DT770 PRO 80ohm can be used as a portable, however, it doesn't fold up or anything and it does sound it's best with an amplifier because it's not a lower impedance headphone. The Fiio E11 is a great amp for it. I use them for portables often, but I'm weird maybe, I'm willing to use nearly any headphone as a portable because to me, so long as I can listen to it while walking, kayaking, whatever, it's portable. Basically anything closed is portable in my mind if you're willing to wear them in public. But some people need small headphones that collapse and are not very big for portables that are also easy to drive and don't require amplifiers. It's relative in perspective really.

The FA003 (or Brainwavz HM5) and Beyer DT770 are some of my favorites for isolation on the go, in full size. The new AKG K550 is one that is great without an amplifier.

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 19
Thank you but i think i'll prefer smaller headphones. IT is however, inevitable that i would upgrade once again later on so i was thinking of saving a bit more money and skipping that first transition. Still, I am truely grateful for your help :)

May 22, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Thank you but i think i'll prefer smaller headphones. IT is however, inevitable that i would upgrade once again later on so i was thinking of saving a bit more money and skipping that first transition. Still, I am truely grateful for your help :)

Heya,

Then perhaps also consider the Vmoda M80 if you want a true portable with big sound, or again, look into the AKG K550 (it's not small, it's full size, but it's portable).

Very best,

May 23, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 19
The other headphones are a little bit out of my price range and prices here in australia are pretty different. The Philips do look a lot lighter and look good. But they do not fold up like the Shure. Still haven't decided between the two. Thank you though. I will wait for more reviews on the Philips

May 23, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 19
I have read, on 2 occasions, that those philips actually degrade with burn-in, it seems the bass looses its tightness.

If you want over ear and comfort, then they are going to be big, no way around that.

To sum up your needs: 
Decent sounstage and Imaging -movies
balanced sound - music
good siolation - portable
Around ear comfort = size.

the K550 is a good recommendation, look at importing from different locations, US, UK, germany, and Honk Kong, depending on the exchange rate you should be able to get it for about AUD250 including shipping.

I am sorry if this is a bit much, but all rounders are very far and few between. this is as good as its going to get without spending a lot more.

May 23, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Thank you! Maybe i should save a bit more money. Maybe get a decent portable amp as well. So then, how would the DT770 compare to the Akg? Thank you

Sorry I can't answer that.... Maybe someone else can.

Fiio E17, will work nicely with a pc, portable. 

May 23, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

No idea what you're talking about. I've had mine for roughly two weeks now and they sound fantastic.

I'm going to try and find the posts a bit later, I swear I am not making it up. 

May 23, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
I'm going to try and find the posts a bit later, I swear I am not making it up. 

Not doubting that you read that or that somebody else has probably said it, but I haven't experienced anything like that. If anything at all the bass started sounding better to me after the few several hours.

May 23, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Not doubting that you read that or that somebody else has probably said it, but I haven't experienced anything like that. If anything at all the bass started sounding better to me after the few several hours.

Seems we really need a few big reviews.

May 23, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 19
Buy, try and keep the headphones that are worth keeping. 

I played with the K181 and DT1350 among others and in the end I preferred the K181. The DT1350 is impressive though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back