Shure SRH750DJ + Fiio E7 - What's The Problem Here?
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

MarkyMark87

100+ Head-Fier
Source: Sony Vaio Laptop ---> Fiio E7
Media Player:  iTunes
Headphones:  Shure SRH750DJ

Problem:  When I first got these I was using a 4year HP laptop so there was a tiny bit of static and I felt they were underpowered.  The reason why I felt these were underpowered is sometimes, there were songs where when the bass got low, I would feel air pushed against my ears and it would vibrate a TINY bit but it happened rarely.  So my goal was to get the air/vibration feeling to happen more frequently and I also wanted it to intensify a bit plus clear up the minor static.  I got my new Vaio laptop last week and the static disappeared but the bass seemed to be a bit less than my old laptop.  Now I had an E7 on its way during this time and it finally got here and I used it today for the first time.  In terms of clarity its only a bit improved over my Vaio alone.  It might sound a tiny bit more musical I guess but nothing too drastic but the sound stage did seem to improve.  The problem is I got the airy/vibration feeling I wanted to intensify and happen more frequently, but it only happens if I use the volume anywhere from 45 to 55 out of 60 on the Fiio.  At 45, I get an ok amount, at 50 its good but at 55 its what I want.  However, at 45, the volume is just too high for me to listen to it comfortably, its like I have to put up with screaming in my ear.  So whats the problem here, is it the amp part of the Fiio E7?  The SRH750DJ is only 32ohms impedance so I assumed the E7 would be more than strong enough, am I missing something here?  Or is the problem the headphone, in that this is as good as it gets for me as in order to get that type of feeling I'm after, I need to use the headphones past comfortable listening volume?

I am not sure what section of the forum to put this in so I'm sorry in advance if this is supposed to be somewhere else.  I hope you guys can help me get what I am looking for :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 24
Make sure the volume on the player is turned all the way up, then use E7's volume control.

Try to use a player that is used by most audiophiles, i.e. foobar2000. Also install one of three bitperfect plugins to be used as output devices; Kernel Streaming, WASAPI or ASIO4all. This is for bit perfect playback.

Reclock is also usefull to force any player to play in the WASAPI exclusive mode so that the audio is not going through many processes.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 24

Quote:
Make sure the volume on the player is turned all the way up, then use E7's volume control.

Try to use a player that is used by most audiophiles, i.e. foobar2000. Also install one of three bitperfect plugins to be used as output devices; Kernel Streaming, WASAPI or ASIO4all. This is for bit perfect playback.

Reclock is also usefull to force any player to play in the WASAPI exclusive mode so that the audio is not going through many processes.

Im a noob so how will downloading foobar2000, downloading one of the three plugins and also getting reoclock help me get the vibration/airy feeling I'm looking for?  I'm sorry I'm not trying to sound rude just wanna know how it will help, thanks :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 24
I can't believe your DJ headphone needs volumes to be at 45 to sound loud enough, My 32ohm phone only needs 25-30 to be quit loud, I usually only listen at 20-25 with foobar. But I guess DJ phones are different from other low impedance full-size headphones.

What EQ level are you using on the E7? There is also a slight increase in overall volume with the bassboost on (level 1 or above compared to 0).

What I suggested software wise may or may not give what you are looking for, but it will provide unadulterated playback and quality decoding of whatever codec you have for music, be it lossy mp3 or lossless flac.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
I can't believe your DJ headphone needs volumes to be at 45 to sound loud enough, My 32ohm phone only needs 25-30 to be quit loud, I usually only listen at 20-25 with foobar. But I guess DJ phones are different from other low impedance full-size headphones.

What EQ level are you using on the E7? There is also a slight increase in overall volume with the bassboost on (level 1 or above compared to 0).

What I suggested software wise may or may not give what you are looking for, but it will provide unadulterated playback and quality decoding of whatever codec you have for music, be it lossy mp3 or lossless flac.

My headphones through itunes is loud enough at 25-30, but only at 45 do I get that airy/vibration feeling I am after.  I am not using the EQ because it distorts my music which I just can't stand.  Is the reoclock something that works with itunes as well or just foobar?  And is there a player that is more user friendly than foobar, something more organized like itunes with album art and what not?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 24
By EQ I meant E7's built in hardware bassboost, which should not distort your music at levels 1-2, especially at level 1. Try it, you might prefer it better with that on if you are a basshead. The three levels are no way near the levels you think that would produce distortion.

foobar is very customisable, it can look however you want it to look but it would required you input of time to learn.

Why don't you give it shot to see if the results are any better?

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 24
Oh I know you mean the bass boost eq settings with the E7, and as soon as I got it, I tried it and it sounded a bit distorted even at setting one.  I tried it now and it did give me what I am looking for at a lower volume and with foobar it had no distortion but I did it with one song, maybe its some of my files.  Is there something that i can download for itunes that will make it bit perfect so I can compare?   And of the three plug-ins, which do you prefer? 

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 24
There should not be any difference between KS, WASAPI and ASIO because their job is to bypass all the added processing or extra filtering/decoding of directsound/Kmixer from Windows.

ASIO is more complicated to install since you have to install the ASIO4all driver first, then the foobar2000 ASIO plugin. I can't seem to be able use KS on foobar with my E7. WASAPI works fine for me.

I use Reclock for watching movies (mkv, mp4, avi) on Potplayer (a successor of KMplayer, a Korean player but you can easily google to find the latest English non-official download) . You could try it on foobar2000 or any other players (perhaps iTunes). I myself haven't tried that.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
There should not be any difference between KS, WASAPI and ASIO because their job is to bypass all the added processing or extra filtering/decoding of directsound/Kmixer from Windows.

ASIO is more complicated to install since you have to install the ASIO4all driver first, then the foobar2000 ASIO plugin. I can't seem to be able use KS on foobar with my E7. WASAPI works fine for me.

I use Reclock for watching movies (mkv, mp4, avi) on Potplayer (a successor of KMplayer, a Korean player but you can easily google to find the latest English non-official download) . You could try it on foobar2000 or any other players (perhaps iTunes). 

How exactly do you download WASAPI?  It doesn't seem to be a simple download as I expected?  Also with reclock, when I downl;oad it, does it automatically work when I watch stuff with stuff like vlc media player, or do I have to set it up somehow?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

Quote:

I use Reclock for watching movies (mkv, mp4, avi) on Potplayer (a successor of KMplayer, a Korean player but you can easily google to find the latest English non-official download) . You could try it on foobar2000 or any other players (perhaps iTunes). 

How exactly do you download WASAPI?  It doesn't seem to be a simple download as I expected?  Also with reclock, when I downl;oad it, does it automatically work when I watch stuff with stuff like vlc media player, or do I have to set it up somehow?

Thanks

I just tried listening to another song that has alot of bass, I used EQ setting of 1 and even with foobar at volume 35 it sounded distorted anytime bass was present, is this a problem with the file, I don't think it was originally a 320 kbps file, it maybe something I converted to 320.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:

Thanks

Link to download WASAPI plugin for foobar2000 under components.

Reclock does need configuration, but it is so simple. Pick WASAPI as the output. Choose USB DAC (E7) as the device. There is the very last tab for choosing the player. But it should automatically detect the audio/video player and ask you to use Reclock, not use it, always use, or always not use as options in a pop up window.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Link to download WASAPI plugin for foobar2000 under components.

Reclock does need configuration, but it is so simple. Pick WASAPI as the output. Choose USB DAC (E7) as the device. There is the very last tab for choosing the player. But it should automatically detect the audio/video player and ask you to use Reclock, not use it, always use, or always not use as options in a pop up windows.

When I download it, and click it, it goes to foobar and says its unable to open it, how exactly do I install it? 

Thanks again

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
When I download it, and click it, it goes to foobar and says its unable to open it, how exactly do I install it? 

Thanks again

There is a folder under Program Files called foobar or something, inside you will find a plugin folder for you to put the dll file in. Restart foobar2000 to activate the change.

Forgot to mention, turn foobar2000's volume to 0dB (maxed out). Anyway, I am away from Home so all I have said is off the top of my head meaning there could be mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back