Shure SRH440 vs Ultrasone HFI-450 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs ??
Oct 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The Vin

New Head-Fier
I'm very new to the world of cans & am far from being an audiophile! Forum members advice on getting this right first time will be greatly appreciated.

Based on a wealth of information found on these forums I've upped my budget from my initial first post to a maximum of £65 GBP.

I've been looking at the following 3 models:

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFI-450

Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs

I'm a listener of purely dance music - techno, trance, hard house, drum & bass to name a few general genres.

Can anyone offer any advice/experiences on these models based on my listening material & connecting devices? I'm likely to use these headphones through my PC (either into a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic card, or direct into the front of some M-Audio AV 40 desktop monitor speakers), a Sony KDL-X2000U LCD TV, a Sony DAV-DZ700FW amp or a Sony NWZ-A828 MP3 player. All are 3.5mm jack plug connections.

Or if anyone can recommend any alternative headphones I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Gavin.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 6
I haven't heard the HFI-450 (although I have the HFI-550). If the 450s share the sound signature with the 550s, they'll fit your needs nicely. But I can't assure that.

Otherwise, I've been listening to the dbi Pro700, and I'm impressed with the sound quality from these $30 cans. Built like tanks, very comfortable (much more than my Ultrasones), great sound with quite some punch to the bass, and very clear/clean sounding. Since they're my newest toys, you're free to take this advice with a grain of salt, but at that price range they're a steal.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I can only comment on the M40's, they sound great with anything, although the soundstage isn't exactly wide.
Some will find them too flat sounding, they have an extremely balanced sound, with a natural sounding treble (no sibilance at all), so for excitement you need to look elsewhere I think, altough the dynamics (if the recording is so) are really good, better than the A500's.

Another drawback: they only have a hardwired 6.3 mm plug, so you need an 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to use them with your gear.
Or you need to get the newer M45's, which have a 3.5 mm plug with a 6.3 mm screw-on plug, but I don't know ho they compare to the M40's.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 6
I was wondering how good the Shure's are against the Ultrasone's, but there was a comparison 840's against the 780's and the Shure 840's were supposedly better.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Vin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a listener of purely dance music - techno, trance, hard house, drum & bass to name a few general genres.

Ultrasones all the way! ... IF you can EQ your music then take a look at Sony XB500 ($50 online), very deep bass, slightly splashy over the mid range but excellent for D&B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back