Shure SRH440 or Klipsch Image S4?
Mar 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

allamericandude

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I'm trying to decide on a new set of headphones for listening to my iPod. I've done all the research I think I can do and all roads have led to either the Shure SRH440 or the Klipsch Image S4. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but I can't decide which one I should choose. From what I can tell, the SRH440 has better sound quality and a detachable cable (which is an important factor for me), but they're relatively bulky, while the S4s have good sound quality but better portability and a 2-year warranty (which for me is a direct substitute for a detachable cable, seeing as it's always the cable that breaks). I'm fairly new to the whole headphone industry, so I thought I should ask you, the experts, what you thought before I made my choice. I'm just looking for a set of headphones for around $100 that sound good and will last a long time.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 4
If it's just going to be with your iPod I'd go with the S4's. The SRH440's sound great and the detachable cable is awesome but they are bulky and suck for portable use. I tried it a few days ago with my 440's and they are just not good for portable use.

At the $100 price range, why not combine the best attributes of both headphones and go with the Shure SE215? You get the 2 year warranty, detachable cables and the portability, plus I hear they sound pretty good. I don't have any experience with them (or the S4's, just wanted to throw in my $.02 about the SRH440).

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 4
i don't like the s4, i actually have reviews of both the s4 and the 440s, and the srh440 are the greatest headphones i have ever put on my ears. that is if you like a full, but still cold, fast, and analytical sound signature.

the 440s are not ideal at all for portable use, theyre not bulky, but i can't imagine them lasting for more than a month if you were to work out with them frequently

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
If it's just going to be with your iPod I'd go with the S4's. The SRH440's sound great and the detachable cable is awesome but they are bulky and suck for portable use. I tried it a few days ago with my 440's and they are just not good for portable use.

At the $100 price range, why not combine the best attributes of both headphones and go with the Shure SE215? You get the 2 year warranty, detachable cables and the portability, plus I hear they sound pretty good. I don't have any experience with them (or the S4's, just wanted to throw in my $.02 about the SRH440).

Dude, I think you might be my new hero. Thanks for telling me about the SE215s. I had never heard of them until now (which is a bit strange, come to think of it), but they do seem perfect for me. I think those will be the ones I get. You're right--they do combine the best of both options. Again, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back