Shure SRH440 Impression
Jul 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #391 of 427
Just got the hm5 pads and it sounds a lot better than the srh840 pads. The comfort is way better than the stock pads, softer, better seal on my ears. The sound is quite impressive, deeper bass, larger soundstage, smoother upper mids / highs, it's definitely more balanced now. But to get good sound u need to rotate the pads in the right angle though.

I'm using a very budget setup - hifimediy u2 async dac + smsl sap lll, very good sound so far.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #392 of 427
  Just got the hm5 pads and it sounds a lot better than the srh840 pads. The comfort is way better than the stock pads, softer, better seal on my ears. The sound is quite impressive, deeper bass, larger soundstage, smoother upper mids / highs, it's definitely more balanced now. But to get good sound u need to rotate the pads in the right angle though.

I'm using a very budget setup - hifimediy u2 async dac + smsl sap lll, very good sound so far.

Can you give me a link for where I can order them?

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #394 of 427
I still don't get it , why srh440 are soo underrated,¿maybe because they don't cost a ton?,dunno, but they're amazing, i clearly prefer them over my sony ma900, the senn hd600 (i know that those cans are open, but they do cost a lot more), and bose quiet comfort, the flat response is just amazing, ofcourse the other headphones have bigger soundstage and made the virtualization of instrument better, but at the  end of the day the sound that those boys do is better for me.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #395 of 427
  I still don't get it , why srh440 are soo underrated,¿maybe because they don't cost a ton?,dunno, but they're amazing, i clearly prefer them over my sony ma900, the senn hd600 (i know that those cans are open, but they do cost a lot more), and bose quiet comfort, the flat response is just amazing, ofcourse the other headphones have bigger soundstage and made the virtualization of instrument better, but at the  end of the day the sound that those boys do is better for me.

I prefer my modded SRH440 over my Q701 my a large margin. They have better bass, better resolution and a more enjoyable response curve than the Q701. They are more comfortable and block outside noise better by being a sealed headphone. But I was still talked down in my first days on this forum for saying such things, as if the only way to compare headphones was using their price tags. I said I could hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC and I was attacked with "I don't believe her, she's got the SRH440". Seriously. As if a pair of 100$ headphones was unable of such a feat simply for being 100$. Cause you totally need to waste 2000$ on headphones alone (not counting another few thousands on a DAC, an amplifier and cables) to hear the difference between lossy and lossless audio.

(And I'm probably gonna get attacked here too for having said such things.)

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #396 of 427
I agree with both of you ;D i even prefer the 440 + 840 pads over the srh840, because of better bass (mote kick & texture). The 440 even sounds more detailed because of more treble energy. Its on par with the dt880 for me, even resolution wise.

I really like the 440 in stock version unmodded. But only at home. But at home i prefer my t90, its even better in every way. But for the outside...i haven't found a better can than the 440s yet , except the T5p.......but that one is much more expensive. Too expensive to be used as a portable outside i think.

I realised, that the 440 looses much of its bass when used outside. At home or in buildings the bass is perfect for me, very tight & deep impact. But outside it looses some of that wonderfull bass. It looses even more ~ almost all of it, when you wear wool-hats / caps etc in winter. So i did the bass mod (i removed the pads and closed the holes ( all of them) because i only use the 440s outside. I'm more than happy with the sound, soundstage widened and the bass is (for me) unmatched.

I have 2 another new pairs just in case if the 440s are discontinued some day.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #397 of 427
Japanese Pop and Electropop are music genres too, dont be such a retard. People can listen to what they want and those genres are just as good as any others YOU listen to. Probably better.

Yes. I went there.

ph34r.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #398 of 427
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to "better than default headphones, that came with the phone" audio, ordered the SRH-440 with 840 pads to complement my new FiiO X1 :) The sound absolutely amazing and the X1 has no problem driving them at about 50-60% volume. I've listened to a bunch of headphones in the $100-$250 range and picked the 440 almost without a doubt.

My problem is that, I guess, I'm not used to such detailed image and I am going crazy adjusting EQ on different albums. My biggest problem is the highs, there's just too much of it on many recordings (I mostly listen to classical and metal... yeah...). Makes my ears hurt. 

Another problem is sometimes the bass becomes very... how do I put it... fatiguing... or rather nauseating, like my ears temporarily stop hearing anything else... 

Usually, I add a bit to 162, 400 and 800, leave the 1 and 3 Khz at 0 and then either add or (usually) decrease the 8 and 16 Khz. But I find I have to adjust it on virtually every album. Am I being too picky? :)

I've always listened to my music rather loud, but I am finding that it's not necessary with the SRH-440

I'm sure my ears will adjust to them soon

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #399 of 427
  Hi All,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to "better than default headphones, that came with the phone" audio, ordered the SRH-440 with 840 pads to complement my new FiiO X1 :) The sound absolutely amazing and the X1 has no problem driving them at about 50-60% volume. I've listened to a bunch of headphones in the $100-$250 range and picked the 440 almost without a doubt.

My problem is that, I guess, I'm not used to such detailed image and I am going crazy adjusting EQ on different albums. My biggest problem is the highs, there's just too much of it on many recordings (I mostly listen to classical and metal... yeah...). Makes my ears hurt. 

Another problem is sometimes the bass becomes very... how do I put it... fatiguing... or rather nauseating, like my ears temporarily stop hearing anything else... 

Usually, I add a bit to 162, 400 and 800, leave the 1 and 3 Khz at 0 and then either add or (usually) decrease the 8 and 16 Khz. But I find I have to adjust it on virtually every album. Am I being too picky? :)

I've always listened to my music rather loud, but I am finding that it's not necessary with the SRH-440

I'm sure my ears will adjust to them soon

It's got some pretty serious driver ringing at 4k, that's a lot of what makes the SRH440 sound so sharp, especially at higher volumes.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #401 of 427

Thanks! I'll try the 3K slider instead

Unfortunately, ringing cannot be fixed by EQ. It is the tendency of the driver to continue vibrating at that frequency rather than an actual bump in the frequency response magnitude. You can somewhat alleviate it but the headphones will always sound upper-midrangey cause of it. I struggled for a long time to understand why they sounded strange...the CSD on this page explains it.

http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones/7264

Enormous ringing centered at 4k. It's also super visible on the impulse response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back