Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,336 of 2,282
you know, i've been on this forum for 2.5 years...
and somehow i've skated along here without ruffling any feathers. 
rolleyes.gif

never shared any wildly divergent view on anything.

well, my experience with the SRH1840 has pushed me towards a conclusion that i simply can't ignore any longer. 
basshead.gif

That these are the BEST IMAGING and BEST SEPARATING headphones i've ever heard.

and, in order to ruffle the maximum amount of feathers, i must add that this characterization of the SRH1840 comes after much experience with many flagship headphones.
Hey - they are all good! and all have things i like about them!
The HD800, the T1, the HE-6, the LCD-2, the Edition 8, the D7000, the K701, the list goes on...

But, i can't ignore what i hear.
The SRH1840, to my ears, pulls instruments out into separate points in space.  each instrument, and especially well-centered vocals, are so separate that i can follow them with more precision.  yes, more so than with any other headphone i've had the pleasure of listening to.

are there things the SRH1840 falls behind in?
of course.  It's not perfect by any means.  it is a tad revealing for my taste.  but i think this is what you get - the slight focus on higher frequencies is the price you pay for the retreaval of ambient information that the ear needs to separate sonic elements...
they are a little shy in the bass for my tastes.  but that seems to have improved since day 1.  to the point now that it's maybe only 5% less than ideal. 
the bass is a tad loose, and not as textured or as tight as some of the other flagships. 

well, that's all for now.
you can now move me over into the corner along with all the crazies. 
blink.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,338 of 2,282

Quote:
Yeah, but if you mod the srh940 (increase depth of cups) their imaging and sepration improve ; so I'd be interested with a comparison with modded srh940.

tongue.gif

okay.  send me a modded one and i'll give it a listen. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,339 of 2,282

Quote:
Interesting that both you and Shahrose use the Apex Peak/ Volcano.   I'm wondering whether that amp might flesh out the sound a bit compared to my solid state amp?

I wouldn't generalize this as a tube vs SS difference. I mainly use the SRH1840 on the Dynahi (my fav amp), but the results are pretty much the same whichever amp I choose. Amp quality is more important here.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,340 of 2,282

Quote:
well, my experience with the SRH1840 has pushed me towards a conclusion that i simply can't ignore any longer. 
basshead.gif

<snip>

I agree that they layer quite nicely, but IMO, the silver cabled HD800 is still tops in this regard.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,341 of 2,282

Quote:
I wouldn't generalize this as a tube vs SS difference. I mainly use the SRH1840 on the Dynahi (my fav amp), but the results are pretty much the same whichever amp I choose. Amp quality is more important here.

Yah, just clutching at straws..
normal_smile .gif

One other thing I didn't like about the 1840 was, compared to my DT150's, the soundstage sounded a little two dimensional and flat.     Maybe I had a faulty pair.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

you can now move me over into the corner along with all the crazies.  
blink.gif

Maybe I'm the crazy one for returning them .  
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,342 of 2,282

Quote:

Quote:

Yah, just clutching at straws..
normal_smile%20.gif

One other thing I didn't like about the 1840 was, compared to my DT150's, the soundstage sounded a little two dimensional and flat.     Maybe I had a faulty pair.
atsmile.gif

Maybe I'm the crazy one for returning them .  
wink_face.gif

I know what you're trying to say and I don't disagree. It's layered but it is presented in a flat plane, upfront, like some of the planar headphones.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,344 of 2,282

Quote:
I have been reading this thread last twenty plus page, looks like no one buys SRH1440 at all, does that headphone really that bad? Lol, what was Shure thinking when they decide to release 1440.

I may get it later. A trusted source of mine said it was their favourite from the lineup. It's more of an open 940 without the rebellious treble, as opposed to the softer/smoother/warmer 1840.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,345 of 2,282

Quote:
basshead.gif

The SRH1840 is seriously capable in these areas, I agree. The Fostex TH900 is even more so though IMHO!

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,347 of 2,282

Quote:
I have been reading this thread last twenty plus page, looks like no one buys SRH1440 at all, does that headphone really that bad? Lol, what was Shure thinking when they decide to release 1440.

Most people want to go directly to the top end of shure, especially if you consider it's affordable compared to the top end of other brands.
This remind me the senn IE7  vs senn IE8, most people wanted to get just the IE8, despites being significantly more expensive.
Quote:
tongue.gif

okay.  send me a modded one and i'll give it a listen. 

I  just stuffed ear pads with a rope, but you could just use cotton balls to get an idea.
How hard it is to find cotton balls .... See this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591325/how-to-hi-end-ify-your-srh940

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,350 of 2,282

Quote:
Well, my point was that they cost a lot more anyway.
smile.gif
  (BTW Price Japan is currently $1.850, unless you are willing to do a bank transfer.  And all that's before possible import tax)

I gotcha, but my point was that the TH900 images better to my ears than certain other headphones that cost even more than it does, so while it should be a case of higher price = better, the reality is that isn't always the case. The SRH1840 is actually quite a capable performer, and I prefer it to the T1 which costs more, for instance.

As for the price of the TH900, I paid under $1800 for my TH900 with shipping and duty tax, and I'm sure PriceJapan's listing will lower again in the coming weeks. It tends to fluctuate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back