Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 28, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,236 of 2,671
Hello dear participants of this forum. So I joined the club of owners of the Shure SRH1540. But let's start with a small retreat. We are all different, someone likes one style of music to someone else, someone who winter-summer. So all that I write below is only my subjective opinion. I am the owner of the headphones Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for a long time. They completely suit me. The first time I heard them I was delighted with the incredible. In fact it was possible for them to stop and listen to the end of his life. But man is so constituted that it will always be something to miss, especially in our time of mass consumption. So after spending a month reading different forums and reviews I decided on the model Shure SRH1840. After Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, they seemed to me fantastic. Incredible huge stage, feeling like being in the concert hall of Madison Square Garden. Stunning vocals and live energy of stringed instruments. And the main thing is their weightlessness. After sitting in them all day head and ears not how much tired. Yes, they lacked bass, but it is minus all open headphones. But what disappointed me is the full exposure to outside sounds. The first day I sat in them the emotions which I got from Shure SRH1840. But the following days I really began to annoy those other sounds. Had to up the volume, which is not very good for the ears, you may lose the hearing. And here I am again back to the beginning of the topic. I'm not a professional musician nor a DJ. I'm a typical music fan and love music. Headphones I need to come after work, hard day, to wear them and dive into musical Nirvana cut off from extraneous sounds. And as that live with me are still people. with open headphones to high fail. So with a heavy heart I returned them back to the store. The following headphones I bought this Denon AH-MM400. Yes it certainly is a work of art. But when I wore them and listened to frankly all my positive emotions was gone. I mostly listen to any music except rap and heavy metal. Love instrumental music, new age, Blues, rock, pop and movie soundtracks. So the criterion of listening for me is the soundtrack James Horner - Braveheart and Brad Fiedel - The Terminator. And that's when listening to these compositions is the Denon AH-MM400 just killed me. The fact that I gave the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 is a bright, rich, emotional sound, with Denon AH-MM400 it's not happening. Yes, maybe the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 high at the top, chaotic, does not give a clear separation of musical instruments. But her musical fervently and friendliness I'm willing to forgive her all the flaws. And Yes, the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 bass is deep. James Horner - Braveheart clearly hear the Scottish drums, and Brad Fiedel - The Terminator heard the rising hum of the tunnel and the noise of the wheels of the train. Although the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 are not bass headphones. So the Denon AH-MM400, the bass is simply absent, the middle of somewhere far away, drowned vocals, and piano on the high notes, cut hearing. And what surprised me about the Denon AH-MM400 is the split tool. The complete absence of the orchestra, he just disintegrated. When listening to a song Skyrim - The Dragonborn Comes cover by Grissini Project violin completely choked the game piano, it was very quiet audible. in the end, not at all regretting I gave Denon AH-MM400 back to the store. Again immersed in reading the forums about the headphones I settled on two models. The SRH1540 is Shure and Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohms. Fortunately before buying, I was able to pre-listen in the music lounge Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohms. I can to say about them? Yes, it's a good pair of headphones. They clearly laid out everything on the shelves, in all pedantic as the Germans. Each instrument plays as it should be not bulging forward. There is a bass adjustment in four positions, but it's dry. Listening to them 30 different styles of songs for about an hour I have never had a desire to buy Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohms. These headphones are like a business partner, signed the contract and fled. Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohm like German Opera, without emotion and soul, after listening to 10 minutes to become bored. Maybe they are more suited to professional musicians where all the emotions are superfluous. In the end, quite disappointed I decided to purchase the Shure SRH1540. Honestly after all the mishaps with the previous headphones I wasn't expecting anything good. But how surprised I was buying the Shure SRH1540. Before purchasing I decided to check out Shure SRH1540 at the store connecting them to my phone the Xiaomi Redmi Note5. And here it is, a miracle! It was a feeling, when I met an old friend after a long separation. What I lacked in the previous headphones were all Shure SRH1540. I'm a music lover and love to get music storm of emotions. So these same emotions Shure SRH1540 gave me 100 percent. Dire Straits — Money for Nothing Chris Rea – Joys Of Christmas, Yello - The Race, all phenomenal. Musical instruments and vocals play a juicy, bright, warm with my heart, but without him and the extra embellishments. The stage is very wide and comes in even fetched. For Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohm stage to be in front of the eyes and no more.But the most important thing in the Shure SRH1540 is of course ALS. This is not a flat bass like the Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohm. The Shure SRH1540 has deep bass. It's like adding a subwoofer to the chic HI-FI speaker system. So this bass in Shure SRH1540 makes my body move to the rhythm of music. The bass goes down to the bottom of the abdomen and again goes up, giving incredible emotions. The Shure SRH1540 somehow reminded me of the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. But if Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 is a young and inexperienced girl, then Shure SRH1540 is a favorite girl that you know all your life, and with whom you want to spend the rest of your days. And of course the Shure SRH1540 is terrific comfort. Having put on a few minutes later you forget that you have headphones on your head. The Denon AH-MM400 wanted to be removed after 10 minutes due to their small ear cushions and a very tight fit. So it looks like with Shure SRH1540 I found my holy grail. Many thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion of the topic about these beautiful Shure SRH1540 headphones. And yes, as I understand it, this is the biggest topic about the discussion of headphones, 150 pages. Phenomenally. P.S. Forgot to ask. Tell me please, where can I buy replaceable leather ear pads for Shure SRH1540? Thanks again to everyone.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,237 of 2,671
If you have good music player and toilet paper is all sorted. :)
Hello dear participants of this forum. So I joined the club of owners of the Shure SRH1540. But let's start with a small retreat. We are all different, someone likes one style of music to someone else, someone who winter-summer. So all that I write below is only my subjective opinion. I am the owner of the headphones Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for a long time. They completely suit me. The first time I heard them I was delighted with the incredible. In fact it was possible for them to stop and listen to the end of his life. But man is so constituted that it will always be something to miss, especially in our time of mass consumption. So after spending a month reading different forums and reviews I decided on the model Shure SRH1840. After Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, they seemed to me fantastic. Incredible huge stage, feeling like being in the concert hall of Madison Square Garden. Stunning vocals and live energy of stringed instruments. And the main thing is their weightlessness. After sitting in them all day head and ears not how much tired. Yes, they lacked bass, but it is minus all open headphones. But what disappointed me is the full exposure to outside sounds. The first day I sat in them the emotions which I got from Shure SRH1840. But the following days I really began to annoy those other sounds. Had to up the volume, which is not very good for the ears, you may lose the hearing. And here I am again back to the beginning of the topic. I'm not a professional musician nor a DJ. I'm a typical music fan and love music. Headphones I need to come after work, hard day, to wear them and dive into musical Nirvana cut off from extraneous sounds. And as that live with me are still people. with open headphones to high fail. So with a heavy heart I returned them back to the store. The following headphones I bought this Denon AH-MM400. Yes it certainly is a work of art. But when I wore them and listened to frankly all my positive emotions was gone. I mostly listen to any music except rap and heavy metal. Love instrumental music, new age, Blues, rock, pop and movie soundtracks. So the criterion of listening for me is the soundtrack James Horner - Braveheart and Brad Fiedel - The Terminator. And that's when listening to these compositions is the Denon AH-MM400 just killed me. The fact that I gave the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 is a bright, rich, emotional sound, with Denon AH-MM400 it's not happening. Yes, maybe the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 high at the top, chaotic, does not give a clear separation of musical instruments. But her musical fervently and friendliness I'm willing to forgive her all the flaws. And Yes, the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 bass is deep. James Horner - Braveheart clearly hear the Scottish drums, and Brad Fiedel - The Terminator heard the rising hum of the tunnel and the noise of the wheels of the train. Although the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 are not bass headphones. So the Denon AH-MM400, the bass is simply absent, the middle of somewhere far away, drowned vocals, and piano on the high notes, cut hearing. And what surprised me about the Denon AH-MM400 is the split tool. The complete absence of the orchestra, he just disintegrated. When listening to a song Skyrim - The Dragonborn Comes cover by Grissini Project violin completely choked the game piano, it was very quiet audible. in the end, not at all regretting I gave Denon AH-MM400 back to the store. Again immersed in reading the forums about the headphones I settled on two models. The SRH1540 is Shure and Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohms. Fortunately before buying, I was able to pre-listen in the music lounge Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohms. I can to say about them? Yes, it's a good pair of headphones. They clearly laid out everything on the shelves, in all pedantic as the Germans. Each instrument plays as it should be not bulging forward. There is a bass adjustment in four positions, but it's dry. Listening to them 30 different styles of songs for about an hour I have never had a desire to buy Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohms. These headphones are like a business partner, signed the contract and fled. Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohm like German Opera, without emotion and soul, after listening to 10 minutes to become bored. Maybe they are more suited to professional musicians where all the emotions are superfluous. In the end, quite disappointed I decided to purchase the Shure SRH1540. Honestly after all the mishaps with the previous headphones I wasn't expecting anything good. But how surprised I was buying the Shure SRH1540. Before purchasing I decided to check out Shure SRH1540 at the store connecting them to my phone the Xiaomi Redmi Note5. And here it is, a miracle! It was a feeling, when I met an old friend after a long separation. What I lacked in the previous headphones were all Shure SRH1540. I'm a music lover and love to get music storm of emotions. So these same emotions Shure SRH1540 gave me 100 percent. Dire Straits — Money for Nothing Chris Rea – Joys Of Christmas, Yello - The Race, all phenomenal. Musical instruments and vocals play a juicy, bright, warm with my heart, but without him and the extra embellishments. The stage is very wide and comes in even fetched. For Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohm stage to be in front of the eyes and no more.But the most important thing in the Shure SRH1540 is of course ALS. This is not a flat bass like the Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STUDIO 80 Ohm. The Shure SRH1540 has deep bass. It's like adding a subwoofer to the chic HI-FI speaker system. So this bass in Shure SRH1540 makes my body move to the rhythm of music. The bass goes down to the bottom of the abdomen and again goes up, giving incredible emotions. The Shure SRH1540 somehow reminded me of the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7. But if Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 is a young and inexperienced girl, then Shure SRH1540 is a favorite girl that you know all your life, and with whom you want to spend the rest of your days. And of course the Shure SRH1540 is terrific comfort. Having put on a few minutes later you forget that you have headphones on your head. The Denon AH-MM400 wanted to be removed after 10 minutes due to their small ear cushions and a very tight fit. So it looks like with Shure SRH1540 I found my holy grail. Many thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion of the topic about these beautiful Shure SRH1540 headphones. And yes, as I understand it, this is the biggest topic about the discussion of headphones, 150 pages. Phenomenally. P.S. Forgot to ask. Tell me please, where can I buy replaceable leather ear pads for Shure SRH1540? Thanks again to everyone.

I think the SRH1540 is considered "mid-fi," but I love them more than some pricey hi-fi offerings. When I had the Meze Empyreans at home for a demo, I kept wanting to put the Shures on my head. Has anybody paired them with the Sony DAPs?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,238 of 2,671
I continue to listen to music from the Shure SRH1540. I feel incredible delight like a little child. These headphones are omnivorous, eat any music. The vocals are as amazing as in the Shure SRH1840. Today I was listening to Irish folk, for example Mary Dillion with Deanta, I got the feeling that I was sitting in an Irish pub. The SCENE is just awesome. He makes his goosebumps, music affects all the hidden fibers of the soul. Just AMAZING. Once again, I bow to everyone for the topic about Shure SRH1540. Good health, patience and fight against this damned covid-19 virus. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES!!!

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,239 of 2,671
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good 4.4 millimeter, balanced SRH1540 cable for my Sony?

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #2,240 of 2,671
I think the SRH1540 is considered "mid-fi," but I love them more than some pricey hi-fi offerings. When I had the Meze Empyreans at home for a demo, I kept wanting to put the Shures on my head. Has anybody paired them with the Sony DAPs?

"Mid-Fi" seems to be really fitting.
They are fun headphones, nice to listen to with a broad Spectrum of Genres.

I bought mine ages ago and have really fond memories of them.
Since then I Upgraded a few Times and by now I am in a much bigger league with my Hifiman Arya.

The quality Jump is so huge, that I couldnt enjoy the Shure1540 any more.

For their pricerange they are great tho.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #2,241 of 2,671
"Mid-Fi" seems to be really fitting.
They are fun headphones, nice to listen to with a broad Spectrum of Genres.

I bought mine ages ago and have really fond memories of them.
Since then I Upgraded a few Times and by now I am in a much bigger league with my Hifiman Arya.

The quality Jump is so huge, that I couldnt enjoy the Shure1540 any more.

For their pricerange they are great tho.

Right now, the only headphones I own in that price range are the AKG K812 headphones which I enjoyed considerably.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,242 of 2,671
All gone, alas!!! I apologize if anyone was misled by the previous reviews about headphones Shure SRH1540. I listened to them all week and have fun. But why I decided to wear headphones Audio Technica ATH-MSR7? All my impressions of the Shure SRH1540 crumbled to smithereens. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 sent me a knockdown with a left hook. When I used to listen to the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, to be honest I was all arranged. But, as always, I want something new, especially yielding to euphoria after reading the positive reviews of others. So I went in exploration of new experiences from other headphones. Thus, after some search, I settled on Shure SRH1540 headphones. I listened to them for a week and was happy as an elephant. But when I wore headphones Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 they blew my mind. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is like a dog that hadn't seen the host, and met him with a storm of emotions. Licking, jumping, barking with joy. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 as husky, but the Shure SRH1540 is an English bulldog. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 gave me emotions which I missed with the Shure SRH1540. Not to Shure SRH1540 I was all arranged. It is the best comfort, awesome concert stage, great sounding strings and vocals and of course a powerful subbass. Although to be honest, in some compositions, this subbass began to tire and started to hurt my ears. Well, when I returned to Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, it was returned to me cheerful, emotional middle, which was lacking in the Shure SRH1540. Yes Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 bass is not as powerful aftertaste of subbass as to Shure SRH1540. For Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 he's biting, solid, groovy, articular and growling like a lion. Yes, it is not so powerful and deep, but it is present. For Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 sounds good especially the contrabass, it downright makes my heart beat faster. And of course the piano is amazing. Especially the difference for the better Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 compared to Shure SRH1540 impact in the audition songs: soundtrack Thomas Newman - Green Mile the track That's The Deal, Will Gregory - Serengeti track Elephant Song, and of course John Mellencamp - Paper In Fire. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and John Mellencamp instinctively forced my feet to move in time to the music and to dance. Yes Shure SRH1540 ideal for long listening to music, head they do not get tired, a little tired of subbas. And if I'm not wearing Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, maybe Shure SRH1540 remained my only headphone for the rest of my life. But the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 made Shure SRH1540 will return back to the store. Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 is a traveling circus tent that has arrived in your small town, this is a wish fair that has returned to your childhood, this is St. Patrick's Day, this is the Indian Holi festival of colors, this is the Mardi Gras festival. You can list for a long time who gets the same emotions from Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for sure I will understand. Now I'm sitting and thinking, will I find the same sounding headphones as the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7? Or from good, do not seek good? Search is ongoing or buy an additional pair of Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7? Please advise sounding headphones like Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. I am sincerely grateful to everyone.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #2,243 of 2,671
consider getting a $25 aftermarket Fostex AH-D7100 all black (no white lace) pads. More ear space, they are oleophobic (don't hold skin oil as much as other pleather pads), and seem to isolate better. They gently smooth the high peak nicely, while retaining all the detail, and improving stereo spaciousness.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...00+pads&qid=1565295386&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1
Do you happen to have the interior measurements (inside height and width of the ear cavity) for these pads?
Thanks!

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,244 of 2,671
Do you happen to have interior measurements (inside height and width of ear cavity) for these pads?
Hello. Unfortunately not handy now, I'm not near them. I know this. My ears are normal in how they stick out, for both sets of pads they didn't touch the driver and these are slightly deeper so it will be even better for some. Left to right they a touch wider, my ears are a bit larger in size left to right, especially top to bottom, given my height being 6'5", they are proportionate. Their top to bottom height is even better vs. the stock; enough that my ears do not touch the top or bottom as they did before on stock pads.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,245 of 2,671
Hello. Unfortunately not handy now, I'm not near them. I know this. My ears are normal in how they stick out, for both sets of pads they didn't touch the driver and these are slightly deeper so it will be even better for some. Left to right they a touch wider, my ears are a bit larger in size left to right, especially top to bottom, given my height being 6'5", they are proportionate. Their top to bottom height is even better vs. the stock; enough that my ears do not touch the top or bottom as they did before on stock pads.
Thanks for the response. I am not tall, but apparently have a large noggin, and that includes my ears. They feel 'folded up' inside the alcantara pads. Even with the Brainwavez velour pads (which I bought and have put on the 1540's) my ears still touch a bit. Their interior measurements are 70mm by 50mm for reference, so they are significantly larger than the stock pads.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #2,246 of 2,671
Thanks for the response. I am not tall, but apparently have a large noggin, and that includes my ears. They feel 'folded up' inside the alcantara pads. Even with the Brainwavz velour pads (which I bought and have put on the 1540's) my ears still touch a bit. Their interior measurements are 70mm by 50mm for reference, so they are significantly larger than the stock pads.
The Brainwavz pads are all a bit small for my ears overall, same experience you had. I can bear using them but prefer not to. The $10-$15 copies of them Monoprice makes have a larger opening, and fit these Shure headphones and any other the Brainwavz fit just fine. They don't bring up the bass as much as the Brainwavz, they're more neutral. That's why I prefer these Denon copies (again, only the specific pairs I mention, others that are made for the Denon are very different). They are more roomy than Brainwavz, and improve their sound a bit too with similar mid bass but more sub bass so the low end is more balanced, and taking some of the peaky edge off the highs with no loss in overall clarity from that.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #2,247 of 2,671
The Brainwavz pads are all a bit small for my ears overall, same experience you had. I can bear using them but prefer not to. The $10-$15 copies of them Monoprice makes have a larger opening, and fit these Shure headphones and any other the Brainwavz fit just fine. They don't bring up the bass as much as the Brainwavz, they're more neutral. That's why I prefer these Denon copies (again, only the specific pairs I mention, others that are made for the Denon are very different). They are more roomy than Brainwavz, and improve their sound a bit too with similar mid bass but more sub bass so the low end is more balanced, and taking some of the peaky edge off the highs with no loss in overall clarity from that.
So, to be clear, these pad WILL fit the Shure 1540's, correct? Just want to make 'shure' :o2smile:, since the back of the pad looks less oval and more (slightly) rectangular. The front certainly looks more roomy. (and the all black ones, not the ones with the white stitching)

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #2,248 of 2,671
So, to be clear, these pad WILL fit the Shure 1540's, correct? Just want to make 'shure' :o2smile:, since the back of the pad looks less oval and more (slightly) rectangular. The front certainly looks more roomy. (and the all black ones, not the ones with the white stitching)

Yep, they fit perfectly, I've been using those on them for a while. Easy to put on and remove. The link above takes you to these uniquely shaped pads. I got the ones that were all black. This particular pad shape / company also apparently has a version identical with white stitching that I think would be the same other than stitches. The all black goes better with the color scheme of the headphones of course. The other white stitched pads said to work with those Denon's sold there any everywhere are shaped radically different. As rectangles wider and one end than the other. I tried those and they didn't sound nearly as good.

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #2,249 of 2,671
Yep, they fit perfectly, I've been using those on them for a while. Easy to put on and remove. The link above takes you to these uniquely shaped pads. I got the ones that were all black. This particular pad shape / company also apparently has a version identical with white stitching that I think would be the same other than stitches. The all black goes better with the color scheme of the headphones of course. The other white stitched pads said to work with those Denon's sold there any everywhere are shaped radically different. As rectangles wider and one end than the other. I tried those and they didn't sound nearly as good.
Thanks! Ordering a pair today!

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #2,250 of 2,671
The lockdown has given me an opportunity to revisit the 1540 whilst not having my NightOwl with me. I'm not an EQ guy but I did purchase sonarworks a while back, which I'd forgotten about, so the time was right to open it up and have a play. Settled on these correction curves and it's definitely an interesting listen to hear the Shures like this; there's an added dose of excitability to their character - not that I've ever been one to agree with the opinion sometime aired that they are 'boring' - and the shift of the bass peak lower down the frequency adds a nice amount of heft. If anyone else has sonarworks give this a shot, and for those that don't, there's always a trial period!

11222180.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back