Shure SRH1540 Review
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2,131 of 2,671
This is the least EQ that I use on anything. A little bit of added bass and a little bit of added mid range. These are addictive. Should have tried these a few years ago.

I can see these being good "all rounders" like the 99 Classics.

Shane D

They really are! You’ve inspired me to pull my pair out and I’m enjoying them now, though I feel they have the perfect amount of low end as is.

8002BC6A-40E5-4181-A849-6B20CBC7583A.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #2,132 of 2,671
They really are! You’ve inspired me to pull my pair out and I’m enjoying them no, though I feel they have the perfect amount of low end as is.

I agree that the stock bass is just fine. However, if you have a toy, you simply MUST use it.:L3000:

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,133 of 2,671
They really are! You’ve inspired me to pull my pair out and I’m enjoying them now, though I feel they have the perfect amount of low end as is.

Do you have a balanced cable so that you can use the Shures with your LCX? I have already bought two XLR cables and I refuse to buy a 3rd.

Shane D

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #2,134 of 2,671
Bought my 1540's maybe 4 years ago; paid list - frustrated that I couldn't get
a good sounding closed back headphone in the $200=300 range.

And though some details of the build quality could do with improvements,
none affect the sound.
And they're still the best closed backs I have (other than the Sony Z7M2).

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #2,135 of 2,671
Do you have a balanced cable so that you can use the Shures with your LCX? I have already bought two XLR cables and I refuse to buy a 3rd.

Shane D

Theoretically, I have a balanced cable lying around that would be compatible, as I bought a balanced 2.5mm terminated cable with MMCX connectors for some IEM's, and a 2.5mm female to 4-pin XLR male adapter that I've used successfully before with a different 2.5mm balanced cable for my HD 700, but I've never mated the MMCX balanced cable with this adapter and tried it with the Shure SRH1540 -- probably because they are easy to drive and it has never occurred to me to try it, come to think of it. :)

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,136 of 2,671
Theoretically, I have a balanced cable lying around that would be compatible, as I bought a balanced 2.5mm terminated cable with MMCX connectors for some IEM's, and a 2.5mm female to 4-pin XLR male adapter that I've used successfully before with a different 2.5mm balanced cable for my HD 700, but I've never mated the MMCX balanced cable with this adapter and tried it with the Shure SRH1540 -- probably because they are easy to drive and it has never occurred to me to try it, come to think of it. :)

I just like trying all my 'phones through it, with the exception of my Grado's. With multiple amps AND multiple headphones you can keep things fresh for a very long time.:grinning:

Shane D

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,137 of 2,671
I don't have issues with channel imbalance artifacts with my DT 150, and the DT 250 when I had it (sold it because I didn't like the coiled cable, it dragged down the headphone too much on my head, but that was before I knew that someone was making lighter custom cables for those headphones). I now have the Mogami 2893 mini star quad cable installed ...

Who is making those custom cables? Do you have a link?

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,140 of 2,671
Thank you dakanao.

I thought I had a low post count for a 10 year member, but you #'s make me a look like a rambling idiot that posts night and day!:laughing:

Shane D, about 1,000 kilometres to your left.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,141 of 2,671
I thought I had a low post count for a 10 year member, but you #'s make me a look like a rambling idiot that posts night and day!:laughing:

Shane D, about 1,000 kilometres to your left.

Yeah, been listening to mostly speakers instead of headphones over that period (+ PortaPros for laptop), except for brief buy/sell flings with M50, D2000, K240, T50RPMK3, K550, Q701, DT990. Just got some new DT250-250 from Newegg so trying some headphones again.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #2,142 of 2,671
I don't have issues with channel imbalance artifacts with my DT 150, and the DT 250 when I had it (sold it because I didn't like the coiled cable, it dragged down the headphone too much on my head, but that was before I knew that someone was making lighter custom cables for those headphones). I now have the Mogami 2893 mini star quad cable installed on my DT 150, and I feel it has made it slightly more clean/controlled as compared to the stock cable, but ofcourse with such claims your mileage may vary. The Mogami cable is way lighter than stock, and so I'm really happy with it.

I actually think the HD 540 Gold is more transparent to the source than both Beyers, but lacks bass impact to be neutral. DT 150 with stock pads, is too bass heavy and a bit boomy in the bass, but with DT-100 velours installed, it becomes a lot more neutral. I haven't heard the HD 250, so can't comment on that.

As for DT-250 vs DT-150, the DT-250 - 250 ohm (haven't heard the 80 ohm) is a bit more refined/controlled, smoother with better timbre. DT-150, with both pads, has a ''bigger'' sound, meaning instruments, vocals etc. all have a bigger presence, due to the bigger pads. Sound signature between the 2 (with DT-100 velours installed on my DT-150) would be pretty much the same.

Out of those headphones, I have heard the SRH 840. And the DT 150/250 are better in every category no doubt. Separation, imaging, resolution, definition etc, the Shure was a bit harsh/unrefined somewhere in the lower treble/upper mids, and sounds more plasticky in timbre as compared to DT 150/250 (or HD 540 Gold).

Thanks. I got some reliable measures of dt250 from my friend. Gonna try it out.

Sep 8, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,143 of 2,671
Got to try my 1540's in a different way yesterday/last night.
We had the remnants of Hurricane Dorian go through Nova Scotia last night. By the time it got here it was down to a "tropical cyclone". Still did some damage and took out the power at suppertime. Still no power as of 10:30 this morning.

Anyway, my point is that they sound great out of my ZX300 DAP. Just using SE in low gain. My volume was on 68 out of 120. VERY nice, full sound. I even heard some background sounds that I hadn't heard with other 'phones. Only down side is that my ears started to get sore after about 5 hours. That is twice that happened. Weird as the cushions don't seem hard or abraisive and the clamp is not hard.

Just cranked up the barbecue for a couple of mugs of tea and grilled cheese sandwiches. I am starting today with the Meze 99 Classic's. I had to turn down the volume to 58.

Only things I am missing without power are a hot shower and watching my Blue jays (baseball, not bird watching).:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2,144 of 2,671
Got to try my 1540's in a different way yesterday/last night.
We had the remnants of Hurricane Dorian go through Nova Scotia last night. By the time it got here it was down to a "tropical cyclone". Still did some damage and took out the power at suppertime. Still no power as of 10:30 this morning.

Anyway, my point is that they sound great out of my ZX300 DAP. Just using SE in low gain. My volume was on 68 out of 120. VERY nice, full sound. I even heard some background sounds that I hadn't heard with other 'phones. Only down side is that my ears started to get sore after about 5 hours. That is twice that happened. Weird as the cushions don't seem hard or abraisive and the clamp is not hard.

Just cranked up the barbecue for a couple of mugs of tea and grilled cheese sandwiches. I am starting today with the Meze 99 Classic's. I had to turn down the volume to 58.

Only things I am missing without power are a hot shower and watching my Blue jays (baseball, not bird watching).:ksc75smile:

Shane D

Not so fast. I used to think it was loud enough on my cayin n3. Then nx4 came in, and srh1540 became a completely different headphone. Highly impulsive and brighter than hd800. And now with games and high dynamic range recordings, I'm not findin the nx4 power enough. The high gain mode clips with low impedance load needing a larger current. I'm upgrading, most likely I might buy a idsd micro BL

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,145 of 2,671
I
Not so fast. I used to think it was loud enough on my cayin n3. Then nx4 came in, and srh1540 became a completely different headphone. Highly impulsive and brighter than hd800. And now with games and high dynamic range recordings, I'm not findin the nx4 power enough. The high gain mode clips with low impedance load needing a larger current. I'm upgrading, most likely I might buy a idsd micro BL

I have no idea what the point of your post was? I normally run my DAP through my SMSL SU-8 DAC which in turn feeds several amps.
Yesterday, I had no power (still don't) so it was DAP to headphone and the 1540's sounded great!

What part do I need to "slow down" for you?

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back