Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,071 of 2,671
@Quadfather Can't speak for the Hawks, but from the general sentiment of comments the Owl is a departure from the Hawks. Definitely more similar in tuning to the 1540, but it adds extra detail (not massively), soundstage and most noticeably, an organic weight that isn't present in the 1540. I still enjoy them both. If you get a chance to try the Owl I'd recommend it because as a fan of the 1540 I can't see them not being enjoyable/appreciated.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #2,072 of 2,671
I might have a go at modding the 1540.... couple of questions..

1) Which type of Dynamat for the cups? Dynamat extreme?

2) Which are the best pads? Brainwavz sheepskin angled pads or Flat?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #2,074 of 2,671
I have found these very comfortable and easy to adjust for the angle of the ear cups to the head and the right amount of clamp. My large head means they are fully extended and I had to slightly arc the top of the head band. I don't find it too bad with hot spots, and there is no way they'd fit with an additional pad on the headband. I moved from the Alcantara stock pads to NVX standard (non angled) pads and it gave me more ear room, helped it go a bit farther down to reach my ears, and improved comfort and soundstage. It also rolled off some of the mid to high treble I found a bit too much on these, bringing the mids slightly forward, and lowering the mid bass bump. It did slightly roll off the low sub extension, but not too bad. Aside from adding a slight "cupped hands" sound to them on certain tracks (just occasionally) I much prefer them like that now. They are flatter with better reference sound.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2,075 of 2,671
So, five years after their introduction, are these still the headphones to get? I've been tempted to get these for the past 2 years or so, but never did due to various reasons. One of them is that I've had a pair of SRH840 for the past 7 years and they are still going strong.
I'm mostly curious if there's another headset I should consider these days. The reviews I've found for SRH1540 are mostly from the first year of their introduction and there's plenty of competing manufacturers out there.

The problem I have when picking audio equipment is that I listen to very different genres of music, although various forms of metal is my main genre. Rock, jazz, blues, opera, pop, classical, folk, punk, electronic... you get the picture :beyersmile: And I don't have any high end equipment at home. Usually when listening with my headphones on I use a Raspberry Pi with an Allo Boss DAC connected to an iFi micro iCAN SE headphone amp. Or when on the move just a regular Samsung S7, no portable amp. Still I tell myself the SRH1540 would be an improvement. Or would it be a waste of money, considering my setup? :smirk:

Might be worth mentioning that I mostly listen at moderate volume levels, since I saw in some review that the SRH1540 really performs well at lower levels. Think opera house or jazz club levels where you could have a conversation with someone next to you without having to raise your voice too much (don't worry, I never do that). Of course I go higher from time to time, but never for a longer period of time.

Pardon the perhaps stupid questions, but I haven't had the opportunity to try any other (good) headphones so I mostly know what my SRH840 sound like and that I like them, and hopefully you guys here who have more listening experience with a wider range of headsets can persuade me if I should buy the SRH1540, buy another model, or just be happy with what I have :beyersmile:

Thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,076 of 2,671
To me, the 1540 work well with all genres. However I'm not as particular as the more discerning audiophile might tend to be... The AudioQuest NightOwl are available for a similar price, and as an owner of both, if I could only keep one it would be the Owl. That said though, the 1540 have many things in their positive column - very light; extremely, extremely comfortable; durability. The Owls have to be cared for delicately because of the material choices, whereas the 1540 can stand up to daily wear and tear, and abuse, exceptionally well. My pair now spend 95% of their time residing at my office, but before that I've carried them everywhere just by chucking them, sans case, into my rucksack along with everything else in there and they take it like a champ.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,077 of 2,671
Yes durability is quite important. A few years back I regularly had my 840s as ear protection while waiting for the train in the winter. Rain, sun, snow, they've had to endure quite a bit of weather in my ownership. And they still look great. Some wear on the headband where it rests on my head, that's pretty much it. Not really expecting the 1540s to endure that kind of treatment undamaged, but still I don't want to be afraid of wearing my headphones outdoors and they seem to be pretty durable compared to many other sets. Based on that, I guess NightOwl won't be an option for me. Thanks for your input, appreciate it :)

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #2,078 of 2,671
Yes durability is quite important. A few years back I regularly had my 840s as ear protection while waiting for the train in the winter. Rain, sun, snow, they've had to endure quite a bit of weather in my ownership. And they still look great. Some wear on the headband where it rests on my head, that's pretty much it. Not really expecting the 1540s to endure that kind of treatment undamaged, but still I don't want to be afraid of wearing my headphones outdoors and they seem to be pretty durable compared to many other sets. Based on that, I guess NightOwl won't be an option for me. Thanks for your input, appreciate it :)

In that case the 1540 are the set for you. You definitely wouldn't want to expose the Owls to any weather other than dry and clear, if you are to take them out of the house at all. The 1540 are a large departure from Shure's previous build quality on their over ears; aircraft grade aluminium for the yokes, carbon fibre cup inserts, and top-quality plastics. If you managed to coax 7 years out of the an 840, I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get 70 from the 1540! I've not heard the 840, but from everything I've read the 1540 is also a different take on tuning to Shure's other models. It has more sub-bass and mid-bass, for a (comparatively) warmer and less anaemic sound. It is a headphone that will serve you very well for your requirements. You probably know this already from looking at them but be aware that they don't fold like your current model so are slightly less space-friendly, as they're fairly large headphones, but the lack of moving parts is also a big contributor to their longevity and durability.

I'd also recommend checking out this review of the 1540. Should cover most of the points that you'd be basing your decisions on.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,079 of 2,671
I added that headpad and it does make it much more comfortable.

I find the sound to be very addictive. Once I put the 1540 on my head, I can't take it off for hours.

How would you compare them to your Neo's?

Shane D

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #2,081 of 2,671
In that case the 1540 are the set for you. You definitely wouldn't want to expose the Owls to any weather other than dry and clear, if you are to take them out of the house at all. The 1540 are a large departure from Shure's previous build quality on their over ears; aircraft grade aluminium for the yokes, carbon fibre cup inserts, and top-quality plastics. If you managed to coax 7 years out of the an 840, I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get 70 from the 1540! I've not heard the 840, but from everything I've read the 1540 is also a different take on tuning to Shure's other models. It has more sub-bass and mid-bass, for a (comparatively) warmer and less anaemic sound. It is a headphone that will serve you very well for your requirements. You probably know this already from looking at them but be aware that they don't fold like your current model so are slightly less space-friendly, as they're fairly large headphones, but the lack of moving parts is also a big contributor to their longevity and durability.

I'd also recommend checking out this review of the 1540. Should cover most of the points that you'd be basing your decisions on.

I've missed that review, thanks for the link. I'm glad to hear the 1540 is well built. I especially like that they don't have the thin wire between the cups that the 840 has. I've always been worried I'd get that cable stuck somewhere when putting the headphones in a bag for example. Speaking of cables, what replacement cables are recommended for the 1540? The ones included seem to be a bit too long for mobile use. Considering my gear, the €100+ cables are not the ones I'm looking for :)

Again, really appreciate your reply. I've been checking out some other reviews of newer headsets this weekend and together with your information I'm now sure (just the fact I almost wrote 'shure' is a pretty good sign) the 1540 will be the right set for me. I wish I had a good store around here where I could try out the various models, but the usual supermarkets (like Media Markt) is pretty much where I can find a variety of headsets and they don't have the more expensive models. And no Shure at all. Thanks!

:beerchug: /BeO

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,082 of 2,671
How would you compare them to your Neo's?

Shane D

I could try in a few weeks. No promises. I am very distracted at the moment trying to get ready for my daughter's yearly visit from the States. Too stressed to relax.... where will I hide all this gear??? My husband has even more! It is kind of embarrassing when normal people visit...actually it is extremely embarrassing.

If I had to say just off the top of my head, I think the 1540 is the better headphone of the two. I do love my Neo too though... it is comfortable to me (I don't have the pad issues that people in the Meze thread constantly moan about) plus I love the black/ silver. I wear a lot of black:)

I’m going to guess she wouldn’t.... as she is more of a fan of just putting them on and listening to music and enjoying that experience. :D

You know me too well:) ...enjoying the experience... this is why it would take me a lot of time to try to compare. I will just end up listening to each for hours on end... or days on end...

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,083 of 2,671
I could try in a few weeks. No promises. I am very distracted at the moment trying to get ready for my daughter's yearly visit from the States. Too stressed to relax.... where will I hide all this gear??? My husband has even more! It is kind of embarrassing when normal people visit...actually it is extremely embarrassing.

If I had to say just off the top of my head, I think the 1540 is the better headphone of the two. I do love my Neo too though... it is comfortable to me (I don't have the pad issues that people in the Meze thread constantly moan about) plus I love the black/ silver. I wear a lot of black:)

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about these for a few years and there was some very attractive pricing through the holidays.

However, I have never heard a Shure and I already had two recent arrivals to play with.

I am always keeping an eye out for a possible candidate for adoption. I hate to think of all those poor, lonely headphones waiting for a loving home.:yum:

Shane D

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #2,084 of 2,671
Thanks for the reply. I have heard about these for a few years and there was some very attractive pricing through the holidays.

However, I have never heard a Shure and I already had two recent arrivals to play with.

I am always keeping an eye out for a possible candidate for adoption. I hate to think of all those poor, lonely headphones waiting for a loving home.:yum:

Shane D

Hi @ShaneD,

How are the new arrivals? Headphones, I'm presuming?

Personally & subjectively, just adding my two cents here, SRH 1540 is the 'better' all rounder against the Neo for sound, fit & comfort & the least messing around with...unless you want to...

You're not missing much either way, both suit different styles & uses though both can be used for the same, there are many options out there, so unless you potentially get the 1540 at a good deal from a pro audio place, wait for a really good sale, like average quarter MSRP then you should be good... :p

But yes, there are many head gear waiting for 'adpotion'

The collective apology headfiers know very well can't be more true.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #2,085 of 2,671
Hi @ShaneD,

How are the new arrivals? Headphones, I'm presuming?

Personally & subjectively, just adding my two cents here, SRH 1540 is the 'better' all rounder against the Neo for sound, fit & comfort & the least messing around with...unless you want to...

You're not missing much either way, both suit different styles & uses though both can be used for the same, there are many options out there, so unless you potentially get the 1540 at a good deal from a pro audio place, wait for a really good sale, like average quarter MSRP then you should be good... :p

But yes, there are many head gear waiting for 'adpotion'

The collective apology headfiers know very well can't be more true.

Hope you have a great day !

Thanks for the reply.

My new arrivals were hit and miss. I LOVE my Beyerdynamic T5p.2's and will be selling my HiFiman HE4XX's.

I had mentioned the Neo's because she has the Neo's and I have the 99 Classic's so I was curious to see how they measured against the Meze sound.

I am sure the SRH1540's are fine, but I am not sure that they are worth $500.00 to $600.00 (Canadian) to try out.

Maybe if I come across a used pair I'll try them out.

Shane D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back