Shure SRH1540 Review
May 15, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,921 of 2,658
I left the headphones to burn in more today, so they should get a good 10 hours more use by tonight. It is definitely not a bad headphone. I will try it one more time tonight before I return it tomorrow to see if I will possibly change my mind, but I doubt it. It has a great soundstage for a closed back. Instruments are nicely separated, and everything is presented with a lush character. However, I am a big fan of neutrality. This headphone just does not suit my sound preference. It is just too warm sounding for me, and is missing detail in the upper frequencies. Now, my EQ set I created does helps some, but I don't think I will ever be completely happy with this headphone.

Fair enough, it definitely has a bump in the low end, which is noticeable particularly when you're coming from a more neutral headphone, and the high are rolled off -- this is in stark contrast, strangely enough, to the closed-back model just "below" the 1540, the SRH940, which definitely have a good amount going on up top.

May 15, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,922 of 2,658
Indeed, the SRH940 has an amazing amount of detail up top. It is a shame though that it has no lower bass extension at all, and the build quality is so poor that it ends up breaking apart on many owners. After my SRH1540 is returned, and I get a refund, I may get the Sennheiser HD 630VB instead.

May 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,923 of 2,658
I may get the Sennheiser HD 630VB instead.

That might work for you . I have it. The bass adjustment actually works well I would be interested to hear where on the dial you you might prefer it. I found my level and have left it there. I have no need to tweak it for every song as someone said they do. If I could only keep one of the two, I have no idea what I would do. Probably the Shure as it is so comfortable especially if that headband that I ordered helps the one issue that I have. Should be here tomorrow.

May 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,924 of 2,658
This may have been covered before, but does anyone have ideas as to how to mod the pathetic headband on the SRH1540s? I have been tolerating this headband for a couple of years now, but recently the little foam filled pads are coming unglued and the thin leatherette covering is peeling off. Pretty shocking for a $500 set (not to mention the three defective cords I've been through). I've seen some replacement headbands which snap closures but they are listed as fitting the Senns. I also have a pair of the Senn HD600s which blow the Shures away when it comes to the headband design. Any ideas will help. THANKS!

May 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,925 of 2,658
This may have been covered before, but does anyone have ideas as to how to mod the pathetic headband on the SRH1540s? I have been tolerating this headband for a couple of years now, but recently the little foam filled pads are coming unglued and the thin leatherette covering is peeling off. Pretty shocking for a $500 set (not to mention the three defective cords I've been through). I've seen some replacement headbands which snap closures but they are listed as fitting the Senns. I also have a pair of the Senn HD600s which blow the Shures away when it comes to the headband design. Any ideas will help. THANKS!

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...1526197373&sr=8-1&keywords=hd280+headband+pad

May 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,926 of 2,658
That might work for you . I have it. The bass adjustment actually works well I would be interested to hear where on the dial you you might prefer it. I found my level and have left it there. I have no need to tweak it for every song as someone said they do. If I could only keep one of the two, I have no idea what I would do. Probably the Shure as it is so comfortable especially if that headband that I ordered helps the one issue that I have. Should be here tomorrow.

Oh, I can’t let you get away with implying the only substantial difference is in comfort. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My impression of the 630VB strictly from reading others’ impressions of them leads me to believe that they have better treble extension and clarity than the 1540, but are more intimate sounding with a smaller soundstage than the 1540 - is my extrapolation and hypothesis correct to your ears? :L3000:

May 15, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,927 of 2,658
Hey mbwilson111, the HD280 headband pad will completely remove any hotspot on the top of your head. I think it is a must have "upgrade" for the SRH1540. I think you will be surprised. When you put it on the headphone, it actually looks like it was made for the Shure. :p

May 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,928 of 2,658
I left the headphones to burn in more today, so they should get a good 10 hours more use by tonight. It is definitely not a bad headphone. I will try it one more time tonight before I return it tomorrow to see if I will possibly change my mind, but I doubt it. It has a great soundstage for a closed back. Instruments are nicely separated, and everything is presented with a lush character. However, I am a big fan of neutrality. This headphone just does not suit my sound preference. It is just too warm sounding for me, and is missing detail in the upper frequencies. Now, my EQ set I created does helps some, but I don't think I will ever be completely happy with this headphone.
I'd suggest looking at the Aeon Closed. Very reference neutral sound, nice bass extension but not bass-emphasized, great isolation and comfort.

May 16, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #1,930 of 2,658
Well, I left the SRH1540 running today for burn in for about another 10 hours or so. There is just a bit too much bass, and too much treble roll off on this headphone for my taste. Unfortunately, the sound signature of the 1540 is just not for me. I am going to return it, and grab the Sennheiser HD 630VB instead. It is great to see so many others enjoying their pair though.

May 16, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,931 of 2,658
I'm really starting to enjoy these headphones. I have about 17 hours of listening time on them and they are starting to open up quite a bit sounding very clear almost too bright with some recordings without loosing their fullness. Sounds definitely way better on my Mac mini than on portable sources such as my iPhone 8 Plus.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #1,932 of 2,658
Well, I left the SRH1540 running today for burn in for about another 10 hours or so. There is just a bit too much bass, and too much treble roll off on this headphone for my taste. Unfortunately, the sound signature of the 1540 is just not for me. I am going to return it, and grab the Sennheiser HD 630VB instead. It is great to see so many others enjoying their pair though.

Looking forward to your impressions of the HD 630VB and how you rate it vs the SRH1540. :ok_hand:

May 16, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,933 of 2,658
I'm really starting to enjoy these headphones. I have about 17 hours of listening time on them and they are starting to open up quite a bit sounding very clear almost too bright with some recordings without loosing their fullness. Sounds definitely way better on my Mac mini than on portable sources such as my iPhone 8 Plus.

I love them and can drive them well with my better DAPs. I have never used a phone for music.

Looking forward to your impressions of the HD 630VB and how you rate it vs the SRH1540. :ok_hand:

Me too.

Well, I noticed tonight that the headband is starting to give me a bit of a hotspot on the top of my head. I just took the HD280 headband pad that I was previously using on my Focal Listen, and put it around the 1540 headband. In case anyone else has the same issue, the Sennheiser HD280 headpad fits around this headphone perfectly. This completely solves the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...1526197373&sr=8-1&keywords=hd280+headband+pad

I wish I had asked you to take a photo when you still had the 1540. I have no idea what to do with this pad. It arrived today. How did you attach it?

May 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,934 of 2,658
If you're in the market for a portable source and phone; the LG V30 should be on your shortlist. No more dongles to faff about with, no more multitude of devices to carry around in the pursuit of enjoyable SQ. Drives the 1540 without breaking a sweat!

May 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,935 of 2,658
Hey mbwilson111, I still have the headphone. All you do with the pad is wrap it around the headphone. If you look at the pad, you will see that the outer part on each side has a connecting area that goes along the entire outer edge. When you wrap the headpad around the headphone you just connect that area together. It will clip together all the way through that part of the headpad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back