Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 16, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,696 of 2,658
I must say the Shure SRH 1540s are probably the most comfortable headphones that I've ever put on. They are really solidly built.

I love mine. Been using them in the office for about a year. Light, comfy and great SQ.

At low to moderate volume levels they are fantastic. If you want to wreck your eardrums then they might not be the right headphone for that, otherwise they are superb.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,704 of 2,658
The 1770's have more treble, a little too much for my ears. They also have a smaller soundstage but isolate better. Both are comfortable. Both are good. I prefer the Shure's but ymmv.

​Thanks, do you mean the shures have a smaller soundstage but isolate better, or the beyers do ?  how do the mids compare ?  which ones give crisper detail would you say ?  Cheers.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #1,705 of 2,658
​Thanks, do you mean the shures have a smaller soundstage but isolate better, or the beyers do ?  how do the mids compare ?  which ones give crisper detail would you say ?  Cheers.

The Shure's have the larger soundstage and the Beyers isolate marginally better. The Shure's have the better mids. In fact, the Shure's are a little better everywhere except for isolation. Both give crisp details but the Beyer treble is a little hot for my ears. The Shure's have more sub bass the Beyers more mid bass. I prefer sub bass but everyone is different.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,706 of 2,658
Do aftermarket make a discernable difference with the Shure SRH1540s? The Shure cables seem very sturdy and well-built.

The Shure stock cable is high quality. I doubt there would be much difference with an upgrade to a Dragon Cable, for instance. I think there can be a sound improvement from a really crappy cable to a good one. But probably not much difference between a good cable and an excellent cable.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #1,707 of 2,658
The Shure's have the larger soundstage and the Beyers isolate marginally better. The Shure's have the better mids. In fact, the Shure's are a little better everywhere except for isolation. Both give crisp details but the Beyer treble is a little hot for my ears. The Shure's have more sub bass the Beyers more mid bass. I prefer sub bass but everyone is different.

​Thank you @endgame That's most informative.  Given that, can I digress to the equivalents in open back, IE the Shure SRH1840 and beyerdynamic DT1990pro ?  Have you compared those two, and compared them in the context of being vs their closed back counterparts ?  At the moment I'm leaning towards the Shure closed back as isolation is not an issue to me,  The only difference is that I think I probably prefer mid bass to sub bass.  Which of those two would represent the drums say (not the big bass drums), in Phil Collins "In the air tonight" or Dire straits drum solos etc ?  Just asking that so I can clarify what bass I'm talking about, LOL.  Isolation is the least important issue to me.  My main appreciation is for crisp, accurate, precise detail.  Specific treble, not muddy, excellent mids (I listen to a lot of instrumental but probably more music with voice) and capable but not overly "thumpy" bass.  IE I'm not keen on the "doof doof doof" bass that you hear as a boy racer drives past you.  I like the lower frequencies but I like them to be defined.  (Hark at me starting to use terminology; I can only hope its correct, hahah). 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #1,708 of 2,658
​Thank you @endgame
 That's most informative.  Given that, can I digress to the equivalents in open back, IE the Shure SRH1840 and beyerdynamic DT1990pro ?  Have you compared those two, and compared them in the context of being vs their closed back counterparts ?  At the moment I'm leaning towards the Shure closed back as isolation is not an issue to me,  The only difference is that I think I probably prefer mid bass to sub bass.  Which of those two would represent the drums say (not the big bass drums), in Phil Collins "In the air tonight" or Dire straits drum solos etc ?  Just asking that so I can clarify what bass I'm talking about, LOL.  Isolation is the least important issue to me.  My main appreciation is for crisp, accurate, precise detail.  Specific treble, not muddy, excellent mids (I listen to a lot of instrumental but probably more music with voice) and capable but not overly "thumpy" bass.  IE I'm not keen on the "doof doof doof" bass that you hear as a boy racer drives past you.  I like the lower frequencies but I like them to be defined.  (Hark at me starting to use terminology; I can only hope its correct, hahah). 

I've never heard the dt1990 so I can't comment on it. The Shure 1880 has less bass than the 1540 but it is a great headphone. Based on what you've asked, you really need to audition the 1540. Dire Straits is one of my favorite bands of all time, and they sound perfect on the Shure's.
Also, the way you describe the bass that you prefer, sounds like you prefer more sub bass than mid bass. It's elevated mid bass that sounds boomy and bleeds into the other frequency ranges.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #1,709 of 2,658
@endgame, Dire Straits is one of my favorite bands, as well 
beyersmile.png

Everytime when i do some headphone " test " i do listen to Setting me up / Calling Elvis
L3000.gif

The Shure 1540 arrives tomorrow morning

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,710 of 2,658
I've never heard the dt1990 so I can't comment on it. The Shure 1880 has less bass than the 1540 but it is a great headphone. Based on what you've asked, you really need to audition the 1540. Dire Straits is one of my favorite bands of all time, and they sound perfect on the Shure's.
Also, the way you describe the bass that you prefer, sounds like you prefer more sub bass than mid bass. It's elevated mid bass that sounds boomy and bleeds into the other frequency ranges.

Awesome I will give them a try.  Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back