Shure SRH1540 Review
May 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #1,906 of 2,669
With Audirvana Plus the SRH-1540 sounds much better in terms of instrument separation and soundstage in comparison to the Momentum 2.0. Especially at lower volumes.

May 14, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,907 of 2,669
Srh1540 gets a lot better after burning in, you hear a difference after first hour already (but what I would recommend is atleast 10h). Everything is getting better shaped and never harsh. Changing ear pads on wider ones made from soft sheep leather is improving bass and also sealing by a lot.
Overall they are good headphones, after burn in expecially. By miles better than my sennheiser momentum 2, which is not bad at all. Will I keep them? No.

Nothin' like a good bit of anecdotal evidence, eh.

May 14, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,909 of 2,669
More impressions: To my ears the SRH-1540 has a "bigger" sound than the Momentum 2.0. Both are dark headphones but SRH-1540 feels meatier on the sound.

May 14, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,911 of 2,669
I was using your post to backup that the 1540 are technically superior and more spacious sounding than the Momentum 2...

Now, give me your ears.

When hooked up to my iPad Pro 10.5 inch or my iPhone 8 Plus, the Momentum 2.0 (to my ears) has as I mentioned before better separation and soundstage and they sound livelier. But when I use the SRH-1540 with my Mac mini (Late 2012) it comes on top. It sounds meatier and as you mentioned it's more spacious, especially with Audirvana Plus.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,912 of 2,669
When hooked up to my iPad Pro 10.5 inch or my iPhone 8 Plus, the Momentum 2.0 (to my ears) has as I mentioned before better separation and soundstage and they sound livelier. But when I use the SRH-1540 with my Mac mini (Late 2012) it comes on top. It sounds meatier and as you mentioned it's more spacious, especially with Audirvana Plus.

I'd wager that's because the Momentum are 18 Ohm and the SRH1540 are 46 Ohm and so less efficient, so probably driven less adequately by mobile sources than the the Momentum.

May 14, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,913 of 2,669
More impressions: To my ears the SRH-1540 has a "bigger" sound than the Momentum 2.0. Both are dark headphones but SRH-1540 feels meatier on the sound.
One of the main reasons I went for the 1540s was the genres I listen to most, which are metal and rock. No other headphones in the range of 300$-1000$ can get the best of those genres like these, at least none without an amp. Having said that they are so good that classical and jazz music is bliss aswell.

May 14, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,914 of 2,669
One of the main reasons I went for the 1540s was the genres I listen to most, which are metal and rock. No other headphones in the range of 300$-1000$ can get the best of those genres like these, at least none without an amp. Having said that they are so good that classical and jazz music is bliss aswell.

Yes, especially jazz and classical sounds very nice.

May 14, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,915 of 2,669
Hey frost15, that headpad makes a great difference. The first day I used the headphone I had no hotspot at all. After being about 3 days in with this headphone, I noticed it started hurting right at the top of my head. When you put the HD280 headband pad on, it actually looks like it was made for this headphone. It fits perfectly, and you don't need to stretch the pad or force it at all.

I am really looking forward to mine. I find that somehow one of the thin edges presses more on my head than the rest of the headband does. I try to adjust it but I think this pad is just what I want. It was shipped today... expected tomorrow or Wednesday. I had tried one of the Beyer cushions that my husband had but it just would not fit. I am glad you suggested this one.

May 15, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #1,916 of 2,669
Well, I just set up a return for my SRH1540. I am just not satisfied with the sound of this headphone. I am now on the hunt for another closed back headphone. Regardless of that, I hope everyone else is enjoying their pair.

May 15, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #1,917 of 2,669
Well, I just set up a return for my SRH1540. I am just not satisfied with the sound of this headphone. I am now on the hunt for another closed back headphone. Regardless of that, I hope everyone else is enjoying their pair.
Let it burn in a little longer man! Why were you not satisfied?

May 15, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,918 of 2,669
I've listened to mine for about 10 hours or so now connected to my Mac mini, it sounds more spacious, energetic and fuller in comparison to my Momentum 2.0. The Momentum 2.0 sounds dull and flat in comparison.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,919 of 2,669

Curious as to what you are looking for in a closed back that the SRH1540 didn't strike your fancy. I will say that sometimes it comes off as "boring" to me, but I think it has a lot to do with what headphone I've been using a daily driver prior to listening to the SRH1540, i.e., it depends on what my brain is tuned to at a particular time.

May 15, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,920 of 2,669
I left the headphones to burn in more today, so they should get a good 10 hours more use by tonight. It is definitely not a bad headphone. I will try it one more time tonight before I return it tomorrow to see if I will possibly change my mind, but I doubt it. It has a great soundstage for a closed back. Instruments are nicely separated, and everything is presented with a lush character. However, I am a big fan of neutrality. This headphone just does not suit my sound preference. It is just too warm sounding for me, and is missing detail in the upper frequencies. Now, my EQ set I created does helps some, but I don't think I will ever be completely happy with this headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back