Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #1,876 of 2,671
As an alternative to the SRH1540 at around the 500 US price point, has anyone heard the Final Audio Design Sonorous III or Sonorous IV ? I have not heard either, but they both get amazing reviews. I am fairly set on the SRH1540 being my next closed back, but am interested in a comparison from anyone who has heard these other two headphones.

May 8, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,877 of 2,671
I just set up a return on my Final Audio Design Sonorous IV, and I ended up buying an SRH1540 instead. My ears were constantly touching the drivers on the Sonorous, and it was causing terrible comfort issues. I just refuse to keep an expensive headphone that is uncomfortable right out of the box. I am super excited to get the 1540. As I do with every headphone, I will put up my impressions, and will also put the EQ set that I create for it in the thread here. I am quite excited to get it. I should have it on Thursday.

May 8, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #1,878 of 2,671
I just set up a return on my Final Audio Design Sonorous IV, and I ended up buying an SRH1540 instead. My ears were constantly touching the drivers on the Sonorous, and it was causing terrible comfort issues. I just refuse to keep an expensive headphone that is uncomfortable right out of the box. I am super excited to get the 1540. As I do with every headphone, I will put up my impressions, and will also put the EQ set that I create for it in the thread here. I am quite excited to get it. I should have it on Thursday.
Very good decision. Yesterday I got the balanced cable for my 1540s and when paired with the WM1Z the sound was a revelation; listening to Patricia Barber's Café Blue in DSD late at night was a completely blissful experience, one of the most revealing sonic experiences I've ever had.

May 9, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,879 of 2,671
I've had the 1540's for a couple of years by now,
and I've enjoyed listening to them (and wearing them)
every time I've put them on. Pretty amazing IMO that
Shure gets it right so consistently (except perhaps for
the 940's). I also have the 1840's which I like even more -
not surprising as they're open back - just exceptionally
good sounding, comfortable, and well made.

I recently tried the new Beyer DT1990 Pro and Amiron.
Didn't think either sounded as good as the 1840, and they're
both priced higher.

May 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,882 of 2,671
May 10, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,883 of 2,671
I can't believe it. I have never seen them this cheap. Someone should get in on this. In Canada it is 499, but is normally 659. :frowning2: We then have tax on top. Our dollar is completely ruined, and then they gouge us even more on top of the exchange rate. I forced amazon to give me a price of 449 Canadian when I saw the sale a few days ago. They agreed to it in the end.

May 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,885 of 2,671
Well, my SRH1540 arrived. The presentation when taking it out of the box is very nice. The fact that it comes with a spare cable and pads is awesome. This headphone is so comfortable !!!! The pads feel like plush pillows on the sides of the head. As with any headphone I get, I did my usual one minute of listening right out of the box, followed by an hour of burn in. I then did another one minute of listening, and now the headphones are sitting for another hour of burn in. In that brief two minutes of testing though, I can say I am impressed. Everything is lush, warm, and musical sounding. The treble is 100 percent non fatiguing, and extremely smooth in character. Soundstage is impressive for a closed back. Once I put at least 10 hours on this puppy, I will put up my EQ set and impressions. I can already tell though that this headphone is an absolute keeper. I can't wait to sit down when I have time tonight for a listening session.

May 11, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #1,886 of 2,671
I have been doing a listening session all night with this headphone. Damn, this puppy is good. I will say though that the bass is a tad too much, and the upper treble is a bit too rolled off. The elevated bass goes right across several frequencies. I have already created an EQ, and IMO, it makes this headphone sound much better than stock. I suggest for anyone wanting to make this headphone sound better to give it a try. I think you will like it. It takes it to the next level. This removes some of the bass to midbass bump, but still keeps the warm character of the headphone intact. This EQ also brings up the slight recession in the mids, and adds a hint of treble energy where it is needed. Note that as a result of the bit of a bass reduction, that the soundstage and detail retrieval also improves. This EQ definitely is still not "bass light" by any means. As a result of the reduction in the midbass as well, this creates a much more tight, defined, and articulate lower bass. It is not quite as soft sounding. I am really enjoying this headphone so far.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

40Hz: - 1
50Hz: - 1
63Hz: - 1
80Hz: - 1.5
100Hz: - 1.5
125Hz: - 1.5
160Hz: - 1.5
200Hz: - 1.5
250Hz: - 1.5
315Hz: - 1.5
400Hz: - 1.5
500Hz: - 0.5
1.6kHz: + 0.5
2.5kHz: + 0.5
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
5kHz: + 0.5
6.3kHz: + 0.5
10kHz: + 1
16kHz: + 1.5

Edit: I hope everyone else is enjoying their pair as well.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,887 of 2,671
Welcome to the 1540 club, my man. Had my set for the best part of two years now and there's not been another closed back to tempt me away (although I do like the look of the Pioneer SE-MONITOR 5).

Nothing will beat the Alcantara pads for comfort, but I'd recommend adding a pair of leathers (sheepskin, no less) to keep in the 1540's wardrobe for when you feel like slipping her into something a bit more seductive. She's still the perfect girl next door in the Alcantaras.

Depending on how you feel about EQ, the most significant improvement you can make to the sound of these, and most headphones, is Sonarworks Reference 4. An important proviso here is that I am no fan of EQ, but using Reference 4's flat EQ has transformed my Elear and enhances the 1540. You can get a free trial, so no risk! Apart from the €99 you inevitably give in to handing over...

May 11, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,888 of 2,671
I've ordered mine today. Hopefully I will receive them in a couple of days. Since they are easy to drive phones they wouldn't need an amp I guess to sound their best. I'm expecting them to sound quite nice straight out of my Mac mini's headphone port. My Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 sound amazing without amplification straight out of the headphone jack.

May 11, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,889 of 2,671
I've ordered mine today. Hopefully I will receive them in a couple of days. Since they are easy to drive phones they wouldn't need an amp I guess to sound their best. I'm expecting them to sound quite nice straight out of my Mac mini's headphone port. My Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 sound amazing without amplification straight out of the headphone jack.
After almost two years of use I can sincerely tell you that these do not need amp at all. They sound extremely clear (and powerful when needed) with any decent source. I listen to metal, rock, jazz & classical music and so far I have not ever thought about gettin an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back