Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 2, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,651 of 2,671
I bought the srh1540 2 days ago. First impressions: bass heavy, but very very rich on detail and very spacious. I also like the comfort very much.
My previous headphones were the AKG K553 pro, which have less bass and less detail, but are spacious also but have much more treble.
Comfort of the K553 is also less then the 1540.
I have also tried the Focal Spirit Professional, but i didnt like them because they were too tight on my head and pressed on my ears. The cups are too small for me.

One thing though, i am wearing the 1540 swapped: i have the left side (L) on the right ear and the right side (R) on the left ear. However did connect the cable the right way, the red connector is on my right.
They are much more comfortable to my head then they are 'right' way. Anyone else has this same 'issue'?

But overall, love these headphones, great detail!!

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,652 of 2,671
Compared to the 1840's, which one do you prefer? I've read the sound stage is larger with the 1840's, while the 1540's deliver more on the bass end of things. Thoughts?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to make sure a $500 spend is done with as much research/questioning as possible.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,653 of 2,671

One thing though, i am wearing the 1540 swapped: i have the left side (L) on the right ear and the right side (R) on the left ear. However did connect the cable the right way, the red connector is on my right.

Ha! The thought of that ^ never even crossed my mind. I've no issues with comfort, often I wish my pillow provided the same level...

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,654 of 2,671
I used to wear the 1540 swapped because of a better seal. Since I manually bended the alu yokes a little inwards I wear them the proper way again :wink:

the amount of bass can be 'tuned'  by modifying the pressure level to your head (slightly bending the yokes inwards or outwards depending on your size head). With low pressure these cans get bass lite. With heavy pressure the 1540 have a smidgen too much bass although very high quality bass.

I'm now at an optimum for my taste...and then these cans are heaven (soundwise and comfort wise). Very nice with Dragonfly Red and or Mojo.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #1,655 of 2,671
Just listened to these up against the Oppo-PM3 and the Audeze EL-8 (Open backed is all they had in-store). Very impressed. More spacious and more detailed than the Oppos and also a lot more comfortable for me (Billy big ears).
Very disappointed in the Audeze, although that is my first real listen to open backed 'phones. No real extension either low or high so it felt very removed from the music.
I need to hear the closed versions and I'm also not buying anything until I hear the iSine 10/20s as I'm fascinated.
So far though, the Shures are a winner.
The shop said a new model is due in April, does anybody know about that here?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,657 of 2,671
I wonder if the Z reviewer person was using the 1540s at a high volume - I agree with Tyll's review comment on this - the SH1540 falls apart when used at higher volume levels. At low to moderate volume levels it works brilliantly well (IMHO), but if the volume is cranked up - and some folks like that - then the uneven nature of the headphone gets emphasized and it falls apart (IMHO).

Yes! He does listen to music a high volume usually

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #1,659 of 2,671
Doesn't exactly answer your question, but, I take mine between home/work/localities-where-coffee-is-sold on a daily basis and not once used a case; simply toss them in a bag with my other stuff and off I go. There's a couple of grazes on the plastic ends of the headband, but nothing else.

A draw string (or sandwich) bag is all the protection you need.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #1,660 of 2,671
  Doesn't exactly answer your question, but, I take mine between home/work/localities-where-coffee-is-sold on a daily basis and not once used a case; simply toss them in a bag with my other stuff and off I go. There's a couple of grazes on the plastic ends of the headband, but nothing else.

A draw string (or sandwich) bag is all the protection you need.

I have a draw string bag from my MDR-V6's, will have to try. 

Saw things like this on Amazon that I thought could work..
https://www.amazon.com/Caseling-Headphone-Audio-Technica-Panasonic-Behringer/dp/B00LZ3VFW8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488956334&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+case

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #1,662 of 2,671
PM-3 is a poor headphone for the Soundstage (too tight to my taste) and in the other side the SRH1540 as one of the biggest soundstage for a closed headphone : totally not comparable !! 
dt880smile.png

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #1,663 of 2,671
Do you ( did you ) own both ?
Unfortunately, i can't test the SRH1540 or some great other headphones, before i buy them, i'm living in a small town, i went to a local audio ( PC shop, actualy ) and they have only cheap headphones.
I'm a bit affraid to buy the Shure SRH 1540 because of the issue with increased volume. How bad is that, KookaBurra ??
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back