Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Oct 2, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,831 of 3,855
I just read someones opinion on the srh940 and he stated that they sound like $150 - $175 headphones. He stated you are paying extra for the case, pads, and cords.

Does this echo with anyones experience or opinions.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,832 of 3,855

Quote:
If it's a poor 256kpbs or less, even a good source doesn't save you from the artifacts, lack of dynamics and other loss of information...

********. As long as its 160kbps or higher it will be fine. Heck i am still satisfied with 128kbps. I notice no difference.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,834 of 3,855

Quote:
bcasey, you should pick up a second hand SRH-940, I think you will like it.

I agree with your mp3 comment, but I think electropop was coming from a purity perspective, the difference isn't very audible, but it is there.

It seemed the way it was worded that it would be abysmally bad lower then 256kbps which isn't the case.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #1,835 of 3,855

Quote:
I just read someones opinion on the srh940 and he stated that they sound like $150 - $175 headphones. He stated you are paying extra for the case, pads, and cords.

Although I haven't listened to too many headphones over $150 USD, I can definitely say they don't sound like the $150-$175 headphones I've heard.

I really like the detail that the 940's have, it's not something (that I know of) that you can get from a typical headphone in the $150-$175 range. Most closed headphones that I know of are focused on the lows/mids, but rarely the highs. The 940's are different in that sense since it's the only mid/high focused full-sized closed headphone I know of.

I haven't critically listened to the SRH840's, but from a brief 25 minute listen of them, I didn't like their slightly emphasized bass (I'm thinking this is due to their 'mid-bass hump' that gets mentioned around here). The 940 offers more detail, clearer mids, and crisper highs to my ears compared to the 840's.

Perhaps someone with more headphone experience (maybe MalVeauX?) can provide a different perspective.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,836 of 3,855
I think there might be a grip with regard to the sources. Personally I don't really listen using a very very good portable source so I'll have to check these out some other time. Anyone tried using them direct off an iDevice?

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #1,837 of 3,855

Quote:
It seemed the way it was worded that it would be abysmally bad lower then 256kbps which isn't the case.

I don't think you've heard a system that significantly shows this... With some headphones it's difficult, I agree. It's noticeable, but even more so with a good speaker rig. Even between 360kbps and Flac. I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but with modern music with not much dynamics, poor mastering and distorted instruments it doesn't really matter.

Saw these at a shop but didn't have time to listen! Will reserve some time for an audition some day...

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #1,838 of 3,855

My experience and opinion says they sound close to on par with the Shure 840 just voiced differently. The drivers are very similar and possibly the same. The construction of the inner cups is quite similar. Even the build quality. Since the 840 can be found for under $150 and the 940 under $200 I'd say that statement isn't far fetched. I can say they don't sound like or compete with $1k headphones. IMHO. Comparing them to headphones that have street prices between $500-$750 outclass the Shures. So you decide what that answer is.

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,839 of 3,855

Quote:
I think there might be a grip with regard to the sources. Personally I don't really listen using a very very good portable source so I'll have to check these out some other time. Anyone tried using them direct off an iDevice?

I had my T51 at max volume so I doubt an iDevice will work.

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #1,840 of 3,855

Quote:

I don't think you've heard a system that significantly shows this... With some headphones it's difficult, I agree. It's noticeable, but even more so with a good speaker rig. Even between 360kbps and Flac. I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but with modern music with not much dynamics, poor mastering and distorted instruments it doesn't really matter.

Saw these at a shop but didn't have time to listen! Will reserve some time for an audition some day...

That is not true, I was listening to modern music with little dynamic, poor mastering and distorted guitars yesterday, and it sounded horrible in 96kbps I thought there was something wrong with my speakers :O

Then I tried upsampling it to 96000Hz and that didn't sound very good either :O

Then I wondered how I used to listen to that album sometimes with $25 Sony earbuds :O

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #1,841 of 3,855

Quote:

I had my T51 at max volume so I doubt an iDevice will work. 

Mine ran fine out of an iPod (Touch G4 and iPhone4).  Volume was about 60-70%.  Sounded great.  They did sound better amped though.

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #1,843 of 3,855

Quote:

With classical music recorded at low volumes, I had to use max volume.

With modern pop music, I felt like it could use some more voltage and watts in the bass department.

Ahhh - the "loudness wars" - can't argue with that 
wink.gif

Defintiely out of both the E11 and PortaTube - the improvement was in the bass (a little more fullness).  Sadly not enough to make them worth keeping for me (still sounded unnatural).  I'm still hoping that Shure's next release will be somewhere between the two (840/940) - now that would be one heck of a can!

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #1,845 of 3,855
As long as it's got a Beyer headband and real balance (highs, mids, mid-bass, sub-bass) 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back