Shure SRH-940 DIY Repair
Mar 30, 2018 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LithosZA

Head-Fier
My Shure SRH-940's headband decided to snap and now the one earcup is just dangling on a wire. I knew this would happen eventually because of all the cracking reports on this forum. I'm not planning to officially repair it at Shure, because it seems to be a design flaw in the headband itself.

I was wondering if I transplant the drivers into a Shure SRH-440 if it will sound the same? The cup size is the same except for the part behind the driver.

If it wont sound the same then my next idea is to attach the ear-cups on a different headband by 3D printing parts that will attach the ear-cups to the headband, but I am unsure which headphones would allow disassembly between the headband and the ear-cup connecting piece. Any advice?

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 5
It's a damn shame that Shure seems to have no intention of ever revising their full-sized "pro audio" designs to fix the absurd headband fragility.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 5
It's a damn shame that Shure seems to have no intention of ever revising their full-sized "pro audio" designs to fix the absurd headband fragility.

It's not only them. Stay away from plastic headbands.
Just search for Sony MDR-1000X \ HiFiman Edition S \ Equation RP-21 and other headphones cracking down on people.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 5
You're right now that I think about it.
With the exception of certain Sennheisers, plastic headbands tend to break if not reinforced with steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back