Shure SE846 | Westone W60 | Shure SE535 which one for musicality?
Nov 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RamblerBoy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I apologize if i am not using the terms correctly.

I want a UIEM that sounds full bodied having an outstanding mids presentation especially vocals while having extremely good and deep punchy lows along with clear, soft, smooth & pure soothing highs that are not piercing or too bright and with absolutely no sibilance.

I am a huge fan of vocals especially female vocals. I want my vocalists to sound intimate, deep and full bodied.
My priority will be the mids. I want the mids to be outstanding and beautiful.

* The dap i currently use is Fiio x3ii
* Budget is 500-1000 USD.
* Genres - Rock, Pop, Country, R&B.

I am currently looking at Shure SE846, Westone W60 and Shure SE535. please help me select one. Or is there any other uiem that can satisfy my tastes better within the same price range? i want it to be as musical as possible.

Please help me. i am more curious about the differences in the sound signature between se846 and w60. Thanks in advance.

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 10
I can't help you with comparisons, since I haven't heard the W60 and it's been a long time since I've heard the SE535, but I have the Shure SE846 and they are unbelievable.

I just did a quick test to refresh my impressions with your questions in mind.

They have a very balanced presentation with a ridiculously deep plunging bass that you cannot believe is coming from IEMs. As far as vocals go, they are well presented for both male and female performers and are never drowned out by the bass. There is absolutely no sibilance to be heard even from some songs that exhibit sibilance in other headphones.

A few other points:
1. They are obviously easy to drive, but because of their sensitivity they will pick up any flaw in amplification. My normally transparent Oppo HA-1 (usually used with cans), hisses like a snake when SE846 is plugged in them.

2. If you ever get the itch to explore what custom IEMs might feel like, you can get custom sleeves molded for the SE846. That's how mine are set up and they are very comfortable and they sound wonderful.

3. In terms of cost, if you have some time, you can wait for the Massdrop drop to return (I just checked the drop and they have over 500 requests for it, so it should return). They usually sell it under $800.

Good luck and if you go with the SE846, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in the sound.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 10
  I can't help you with comparisons, since I haven't heard the W60 and it's been a long time since I've heard the SE535, but I have the Shure SE846 and they are unbelievable.

I just did a quick test to refresh my impressions with your questions in mind.

They have a very balanced presentation with a ridiculously deep plunging bass that you cannot believe is coming from IEMs. As far as vocals go, they are well presented for both male and female performers and are never drowned out by the bass. There is absolutely no sibilance to be heard even from some songs that exhibit sibilance in other headphones.

A few other points:
1. They are obviously easy to drive, but because of their sensitivity they will pick up any flaw in amplification. My normally transparent Oppo HA-1 (usually used with cans), hisses like a snake when SE846 is plugged in them.

2. If you ever get the itch to explore what custom IEMs might feel like, you can get custom sleeves molded for the SE846. That's how mine are set up and they are very comfortable and they sound wonderful.

3. In terms of cost, if you have some time, you can wait for the Massdrop drop to return (I just checked the drop and they have over 500 requests for it, so it should return). They usually sell it under $800.

Good luck and if you go with the SE846, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in the sound.

That is really detailed and helpful. thank you so much.
i finally placed the order for the se846. should be receiving them within 5-6 days. i will be listening to these unamped with fiio x3ii. i hope they have a good synergy.
i would love to try custom sleeves too but buying international is out of my options because they charge hefty import duties and taxes in my country. i really hope i find someone in here itself.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 10
For this price range, the W60s would be my #1. I would also consider the JH Audio / Astell & Kern Angies.

The SE846s while quite nice, still roll off the treble too much for my liking and I still prefer the SE535s to them.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 10
  For this price range, the W60s would be my #1. I would also consider the JH Audio / Astell & Kern Angies.

The SE846s while quite nice, still roll off the treble too much for my liking and I still prefer the SE535s to them.

thanks for the suggestion. i'd love to try the w60s but returns aren't accepted in my country unless it's a factory defect. i hope i get a chance to listen to them before buying them.

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 10
If the 535's sound anything like the 846's then go Westones. I heard the 535's not for long as I sent them back. Took my money back instead of replacing them. I have had the 20,30 and still have the 40. I just bought the 60s. I loved the 30's but I got them at major reduced price and resold them to get my money back. I never would have gotten the right cash for the 40's. The 60's are top notch but not twice as good. If you are on a budget I would go Westones w30. If you are set on a top tier go w60 but wait for a sale. The 30's have less detail but to me they are the most musical of any Westone I have owned heard. I also find the better the source the better a top tier IEM separates itself from lower specs. For instance on a FLAC file my W60's reveal more stuff than my w40's. My advice buy what you want and stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back