Shure se846 or alternatives?
Jul 15, 2019 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Soulstar

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've only ever owned one decent IEM, the shure se535. I'm currently considering buying the se846 but wondering if there are now better options out there for the money. I've read campfire Andromeda are pretty amazing, or an AKG model around the same price I can't remember the name of. I always tend to go for treble boost equalizer on IEMs if that helps with recommendations. It's a decent amount of money and I'm not sure which way to go!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 13
I'd say try to audition the IEMs before buying them. Although I personally liked the FH7 a lot as well. I think the FH7 is quite a safe pick for a lot of people. I've found the campfire stuff to have odd tonality across the line, although that opinion doesn't seem to be shared by many. I've not tried any AKGs. The other option I liked a lot are the acoustunes HS16xx series. The 1670 particularly have a bright balanced signature that you may like.

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 13
Save money and go for FiiO FH7 for the same price as the SE535 especially if treble is what you're looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion, they are an enticing option by the look of it. Are they really as objectively good (or better as some say) as the se846 that is double the price? Are there concrete differences in soundstage and clarity that most people would agree upon, or are the differences more tonal and subjective, like comparing oranges with oranges? I could not find any comparison reviews for the two so it's difficult for a newbie to discern differences from separate reviews of the products. Ahh, this is a deep rabbit hole

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 13
I'd say try to audition the IEMs before buying them. Although I personally liked the FH7 a lot as well. I think the FH7 is quite a safe pick for a lot of people. I've found the campfire stuff to have odd tonality across the line, although that opinion doesn't seem to be shared by many. I've not tried any AKGs. The other option I liked a lot are the acoustunes HS16xx series. The 1670 particularly have a bright balanced signature that you may like.
Trying them seems like prudent advice! It's hard when my job consumes 70+ hours of my life every week but it might be the best thing to do.

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion, they are an enticing option by the look of it. Are they really as objectively good (or better as some say) as the se846 that is double the price? Are there concrete differences in soundstage and clarity that most people would agree upon, or are the differences more tonal and subjective, like comparing oranges with oranges? I could not find any comparison reviews for the two so it's difficult for a newbie to discern differences from separate reviews of the products. Ahh, this is a deep rabbit hole

To my ears, the 846 treble is a lot more tame than the FH7. Regarding Soundstage, they are equal in that regard but FH7 easily wins in clarity due to much more forward treble response which reveals cymbal shimmering and triangle dings clearer than the 846. For bass, FH7 has less mid-bass emphasis compared to the warmer tuned 846.

Since you want the forward treble response, the FH7 will be objectively better than the 846 and will surely surprise you with its treble clarity and velvety mids

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi,

I've only ever owned one decent IEM, the shure se535. I'm currently considering buying the se846 but wondering if there are now better options out there for the money. I've read campfire Andromeda are pretty amazing, or an AKG model around the same price I can't remember the name of. I always tend to go for treble boost equalizer on IEMs if that helps with recommendations. It's a decent amount of money and I'm not sure which way to go!
AUDIOSENSE T800

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 13
To my ears, the 846 treble is a lot more tame than the FH7. Regarding Soundstage, they are equal in that regard but FH7 easily wins in clarity due to much more forward treble response which reveals cymbal shimmering and triangle dings clearer than the 846. For bass, FH7 has less mid-bass emphasis compared to the warmer tuned 846.

Since you want the forward treble response, the FH7 will be objectively better than the 846 and will surely surprise you with its treble clarity and velvety mids

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm probably going to get them. I've read elsewhere that they can have an issue with sibilance, which is something I really dislike. I read the stock cable is quite good as far as stock goes, but is there an aftermarket cable that can remove the apparent sibilance problem. All I know about cables is that silver = good haha

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm probably going to get them. I've read elsewhere that they can have an issue with sibilance, which is something I really dislike. I read the stock cable is quite good as far as stock goes, but is there an aftermarket cable that can remove the apparent sibilance problem. All I know about cables is that silver = good haha

Go balanced with the FH7 as I saw a video review on YouTube that balanced expands the soundstage so that the treble won't be "in your face"!

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 13
You cannot experience the balanced sound without a balanced DAP. I do think the LG V40 has a really good DAC, and that should give plenty of power and soundstage to the FH7's. Be sure to check the FH7's thread before you actually commit to the purchase IMO

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 13
I always was a bass-head, so I left my SE846 for a long while, first for the FiiO FH5 and later for the FH7. Sound was good.
Yesterday by chance, I did try the SE846. Boy, I was blown away by the sudden clarity of those. Compare to the FH7 which (now) sounds too boomy and slightly muddy, the SE846 is another story. Initially the sub-bass was not so pronounced as with the FH7, but then I tried the FiiO bass tips (adapted to the narrower SE846 nozzles with a small stem), the sub-bass is there; Now to stay.

I will use the FH7 while mobile (with the SE100 or BTR5) and the SE846 at home with the Chord Mojo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back