Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #20,626 of 22,942
@Christoph You can find filters out there online, I don't know exactly where you're based (I could take a guess lol), but Audio Sanctuary in the UK have them.

The mod is reversible, though. All you need to do is grab a sewing needle, or something equally thin, and extract the dark foam piece(s) from within the tube.

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #20,627 of 22,942
@Christoph You can find filters out there online, I don't know exactly where you're based (I could take a guess lol), but Audio Sanctuary in the UK have them.

The mod is reversible, though. All you need to do is grab a sewing needle, or something equally thin, and extract the dark foam piece(s) from within the tube.
Thanks you reminded me I needed to order a spare pair of blues from AS, ordered. :)

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #20,628 of 22,942

I'm located in Germany, but i'm infrequent in the UK (also at the moment), so your UK source recommendation is perfectly fine, thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #20,629 of 22,942
Thanks you reminded me I needed to order a spare pair of blues from AS, ordered. :)

Haha, glad to be of service. Have you ever visited the store? Wonderful place to go and audition gear.

I'm located in Germany, but infrequent also in the UK (also at the moment), so your UK source recommendation is perfectly fine, thanks!

I would've guessed Germany (hence the sausages and beer!) but didn't want to offend in case I was off. Let me know your thoughts on the blue filters sans foam, interested to hear if you experience a similar sound.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #20,630 of 22,942
I would've guessed Germany (hence the sausages and beer!) but didn't want to offend in case I was off. Let me know your thoughts on the blue filters sans foam, interested to hear if you experience a similar sound.

Will do when i get them!
No offence, even if you or somebody else guesses it wrong, as a German you do not exactly know how people from other countries see us, this might also vary, just picking up some popular stereotypes... well, i admit there is some truth in them. :wink:

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #20,632 of 22,942
I have these IEMs since 2016. I don't remember, if white filters came with foam or not. But I have been using them with no foams. Lately, I wanted to try different settings. I remember removing all material from black and blue to try different setting, but the sound seemed harsh.

My current configuration is white filter with the ending V shaped material, and small piece of custom foam (that I cut from some material). After years listening without any foam, I recently ordered black filters, and when I tried them, I immediately felt, the sound was not very open. I re-created (just to try) similar sound by putting custom foam (in my old filter), by compressing more foam quantity.

As mentioned above, my current configuration is white filter, with very light custom foam (so that it kills some of the harshness). After listening this many years with one set of configuration, I am not a fan of any of the black foams. For information, I noticed black filters have 2 foams, joined together, and blue have 1 (probably same material, but difference in quantity).

Apart from filter mod, and SpinFit tips, recently I am trying other configuration.

- I bought TRN 8 core silver cable. I was already using soft mmcx connector cable from another headphone, but that stopped working, also one of the original cables from Shure started losing sound from left side, when I move my head. This cable is also not very comfortable, but they are good enough. Comfort is not that bad, if I leave more space around the ear. In terms of sound, I cannot say if it improved or not.

- My next upgrade was buying a headphone amp from FIIO (K3), for my laptop. I noticed, it improved the sound quality, specially in high frequency. I can notice in high frequency it improves how the instruments and singers sound. My external DAP (Fiio X3 2nd gen), don't have that problem, so probably does not need a DAC/AMP.

- Apart from these settings, I recently starting reading about how Shure has frequency dip around 10k. I never had problem with these IEMs' sound, but just for fun, I am trying a new equalizer setting in my audio players, as suggested in this AutoEq page. As the page suggests pre-amp subtraction, so for players that don't have pre-amp setting, I used the adjusted values. E.g. -8.5, -8.0, -9.0, -8.5, -8.0, -7.5, -6.5, 0.0, -8.5, -6.5 for QuodLibet music player. You need to increase volume after such reduction of frequency values, so be careful, when switching to something else. I am thinking, this pre-amp setting helps in sound clipping. As for DAP, since I don't have pre-amp setting and this large range, I am using a -4 db subtraction from all values. This setting, definitely brightens the upper frequencies. I have been using this for around a month and seems to adjust my hearing towards it. Initially though, it might sound quite bright.

However, I don't dislike how it sounds, even when I disable the equalizer. May be its up to individual, on how they want to experiment.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #20,633 of 22,942
If I can get past paying 2013 prices for 2012 technology in 2020, all will be fine : )

Every time I see someone call the SE846 "outdated" I smile sadly, and SMH.

Last weekend I gave a live audio performance in a stadium using a Shure SM58S. The Shure SM58 microphone was designed in the mid 1960's and is still the gold standard for handheld performance microphones.

Good design lasts a long time, and Shure has that dialed in very well.

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #20,636 of 22,942
This raises a great question: Does the 'newness' of the technology necessarily dictate the performance expectations and subsequent worth or value? All you have to do is look at watches, performance cars and even speakers, as a few examples, where this isn't always a factor. It's interesting how it has become a notion so intrinsically associated within the headphone market.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #20,637 of 22,942
Don’t feel sad on my account. I didn’t call the the SE846 outdated. I think it’s a great IEM that is also somewhat overpriced considering its age and the competitive landscape. Regardless, I plan to use mine for many years.

^This

I just hopped on the 846 train today. It’s basically 535’s signature with a big scoop of bass and twinkly trebles. Hmm I'm getting real vague here, but my point is that the sonic description on the box is word by word accurate: Extended high-end clarity + unparalleled bass performance. How much that statement stands up today, in front of dozens of new kids on the block, is a wholly different matter.

I guess it’s what they mean by “aging”. I’ve just heard too much better stuff. It's been 6 years since release, plus there's a lot of choices within that price range now and I might find it hard to justify the cost of 2.5 airpod pros. Sometimes it might not even be related to cost. Especially with my Tin Hifi P1 + good wires. Planars really showed me new possibilities. I'm not talking about freq responses, or how deep how much bass/mid/highs there are. It's just timbre. The same way that DD bass will always be better than BA bass. There's something about the way planars represent music that is more true to the instruments. I'm coming from multiple demo sessions of the current top-of-the-line iems: Solaris, Fender Ten 5, Xelento, Chifi, custom mades...etc, and I still felt the same. So I'm not dissing just 846, but every single multi-BA iem manufactured. Timbre is a thing. I hope they solve the size/fit problems (looking at iSine 10,20s and LCD), and really bring planar iems into popularity.

I don't know if I'm right, but do give planars a try.

But like you said, as with watches or cars, it is most important to enjoy it. So long as music is being enjoyed, won't matter if someone is using old/new gear.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #20,638 of 22,942
^This

I just hopped on the 846 train today. It’s basically 535’s signature with a big scoop of bass and twinkly trebles. Hmm I'm getting real vague here, but my point is that the sonic description on the box is word by word accurate: Extended high-end clarity + unparalleled bass performance. How much that statement stands up today, in front of dozens of new kids on the block, is a wholly different matter.

I guess it’s what they mean by “aging”. I’ve just heard too much better stuff. It's been 6 years since release, plus there's a lot of choices within that price range now and I might find it hard to justify the cost of 2.5 airpod pros. Sometimes it might not even be related to cost. Especially with my Tin Hifi P1 + good wires. Planars really showed me new possibilities. I'm not talking about freq responses, or how deep how much bass/mid/highs there are. It's just timbre. The same way that DD bass will always be better than BA bass. There's something about the way planars represent music that is more true to the instruments. I'm coming from multiple demo sessions of the current top-of-the-line iems: Solaris, Fender Ten 5, Xelento, Chifi, custom mades...etc, and I still felt the same. So I'm not dissing just 846, but every single multi-BA iem manufactured. Timbre is a thing. I hope they solve the size/fit problems (looking at iSine 10,20s and LCD), and really bring planar iems into popularity.

I don't know if I'm right, but do give planars a try.

But like you said, as with watches or cars, it is most important to enjoy it. So long as music is being enjoyed, won't matter if someone is using old/new gear.

I've been using the 846 for the past few weeks and think it really comes down to personal preference in terms of the sound signature one is looking for. I can see how people expecting DD like bass from a BA may be disappointed but I rather enjoy my 846s and they were worth the price to me and bring a smile to my face every night (this may not be the case for everyone).

For me personally, the SE535s can't be compared to the SE846 (I still use my SE535s at work and, while they are great IEMs that I still enjoy, just feel lacking now that I have the SE846). I also purchased the Senn MTW and M&D MW07Go last year (both at full price) for my commute and dont think any TWS can compare to these wired IEM (I dont have any Apple products so I have not tried the APP). Most days, I have all three in my backpack and, despite the convenience of true wireless, I have found myself pulling the 846s out of my bag simply because I enjoy them more and like Shure's sound in general. My point is that it really comes down to personal preference and whether an IEM is worth it to a particular individual depends on the specific person. I dont think when they were released really matters if you enjoy them. If they are not for you then, to your point, there are many other options out there.

Agree with your final sentence- just enjoy your music on whatever you enjoy most.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #20,639 of 22,942
SE846 is by no mean outdated. It’s true that they are 8 years old IEMs, but does that really matter? What do the 2020 IEMs have that the SE846s don’t? This is not a smart phone to make it faster or thinner or add more cameras... I guess the people who don’t like the SE846s are just don’t like the sound signature of it and that can never justify the sentence “ Outdated “ because you wouldn’t have liked them even in 2012 either way!
To me they are amazing, especially with the modern POP or Hip-hop music. At the end of the day I’m here to enjoy the music I listen to, not here to listen to every little note in the music with zero bass .. etc
If you are into balanced or bright sound then you might consider other options.
But if your are into modern music and some very clean bass then SE846s are the best.

Price wise, they are a bit expensive, but this not something you change every year or two. This is not a smart phone that becomes slower by time or battery dies fast. These can last 10 years easily. $100 per year? I’ll take that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back